Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sir paul

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pike66, Aug 14, 2001.

1. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    i love paul mccartney.
    I'm actually a huge beatles fan.

The semi intricate, fun basslines that Mccartney plays
    throughout the beatles body of work have been a big influence on me.
    Just listen to "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" from sgt. pepper, and you'll see what I mean.

-pike66--

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was goofing around this past weekend with "Hey, Bulldog"(from Yellow Submarine)...check it out! There's some 1/16th note lines happenin' + some Entwhistle-esque figures.
    Simple & cool little tune(IMO).

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A few of my favourite Paul McCartney basslines:

'All My Loving'
    'Paperback Writer'
    'A Day In The Life': Especially the "Woke up..." section - a swinging descending bassline, with a nice syncopated fill after "across my head", and a run of 16ths on B/A# after "...noticed I was late".
    'Penny Lane': Nice descending bassline in the verses. A couple of inversions in the chorus (C# under the A chord and an A under a D. Pretty clever stuff!
    'Come Together'

But I think my absolute favourite is 'Goodnight Tonight' by Wings. I think Macca must have been paying attention to the likes of Bernard Edwards - a very funky bassline. Are those a few double-stops I hear in the intro?

David

4. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    "hey bulldog" is definatley a neat tune.
    My favorite aspect of that song isn't the bass line though, it's Lennon's vocal.

"I Am The Walrus" has very cool bass parts.
    Very groovy.
    --pike66--

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agreed; that 'little' one-bar fill is nice! ;)

McCartney also has a nice little bounce(a little "swing"?)in his playing(& with a pick, too). ;)
    The 'tuba' lines are cool, also: "Penny Lane", "Lady Madonna", etc.

Check out the 'false starts' of "One After 909" on the FIRST Anthology disc. Paul, cryin' 'cause he can't play the tune without his pick...it's hilarious(IMO).

6. Paul McCartney was the first bassist I ever "listened" to...he is truly one of my biggest influences....

as for fav lines...

Something (most melodic)
    Lady Maddona
    Taxman (although it's Harrison)
    Come Together
    Get Back
    With a little help from my friends
    Helter Skelter (sounds like JPJ)
    Obladi Oblada (bluebeat!!!)
    Penny Lane
    Strawberry Fields Forever

in my recent camping trip, i only took one tape in my car...my BEATLES mix!!!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Relman-
    "Taxman" was written by Harrison(as was "Something")...it is McCartney is playin' bass(right?) on "Taxman" + doin' the guitar solos.
    Harrison used to get props for that solo, too...;)

8. I had heard that Harrison actually played bass on Taxman while McCartney took over on lead guitar. I think that may also be the case for Drive My Car. I don't know this for sure, but I've heard that more then once. I'm almost certain that Lennon plays bass on Helter Skelter as well as Back In the USSR and Let It Be.

It's interesting that you brought up Hey Bulldog. We cover that song in one of the bands I'm in. I actually get to play bass AND sing lead on that one.

Other great McCartney basslines that may not have been mentioned:

Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Dear Prudence (The bass line carries the song.)
    Here Comes the Sun
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    You Never Give Me Your Money
    The Sun King
    She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
    Michelle
    Nowhere Man
    The Word

Really, any album from Rubber Soul on is going to have some great bass lines and there are even a few gems prior to that.:)

9. Bassin's right...Harrison played bass on both "deive My Car" and "Taxman"...it's right off anthology...

10. perhaps, but macca wrote the guitar part! that always floors me.

everyone seems to like joe cocker's version of "with a little help from my friends" better, but i like the beatles version, all because of that bassline.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Darn, I'm slack; I never knew that! "Taxman", IMO, definitely sounds like Paul...Harrison was able to pull off that bass figure after the 2nd verse?!
    BTW, just where in The Anthology is that tidbit found? Is it on the video? In the liner notes? Where?! ;)
    I just recently discovered that it was Lennon who played the bass on "The Long & Winding Road". In George Martin's book, All You Need Is Ears, he called Lennon's performance "musical sabotage". Man!

...and speaking of Harrison & The Anthology series-
    Harrison's tune, "Not Guilty" on the THIRD installment...whaddya guys think? IMO, it's a pretty cool tune which didn't make The Beatles(White Album).

12. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    I think the "Not Guilty" bass line is really cool!
    It's got like a chunky kind of sound.
    --pike66--

13. That's the one!! McCartney played bass on Let It Be and Lennon played on Long and Winding Road. I get those two mixed up sometimes. Listening to the bassline on Long and Winding Road, I'd have to agreee that George Martin wasn't too far off the mark.

14. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    Watch the Let It Be movie. Lennon is playing the bass parts on Let It Be and The Long and Winding Road (is that a Fender VI?). Those are the only two songs he played bass on, I think. Harrison played on some Abbey Road stuff and Helter Skelter. I've never heard that he played Drive My Car or Taxman. Taxman sounds like the Rickenbacker sound, though, so I doubt it was Harrison. could be wrong, though! :)

15. yeah, it was a Fender VI, part of a gift package they got aroung 1967 i think. McCartney still has the p-bass from that gift that he restrung as a lefty.

this site has inforamtion on all the Beatles' guitars:

16. The story I heard was that McCartney would typically go back and redo any bass parts he didn't play on initially but for some reason never did that with The Long and Winding Road. Maybe because he was so upset on how the song turned out. Let It Be doesn't have your typical McCartney bassline so I can see where that may have been Lennon.

The thing about Lennon's playing on The Long and Winding Road and Helter Skelter is that it sounds,to me, like a guitar player attempting to play the bass. I don't hear that in Let It Be therefor, if I were a betting man, I would say it's McCartney...but then again, I always lost at gambling.:)

17. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I heard that it was actually Lennon who played bass on Taxman, but I could be wrong. As well as that, I read an interview in which Macca said that Harrison also played bass on And Your Bird Can Sing.

On the White Album, Lennon played bass on a few other songs, like Rocky Racoon. Apparently, he used a six string bass - I wouldn't have thought they'd have been around in the sixties. There's an excellent book, Revolution In The Head, which lists all of the Beatle's songs, and also says who played what on each, which is where I read that.

On The Long And Winding Road, the take with McCartney playing piano and Lennon on bass was just a quick demo they'd made. McCartney had intended to go back and redo it (including the bass!), but Lennon went behind his back and got Phil Spector to ovedub strings, a choir, and Ringo onto the demo, leaving the bass in. When McCartney found out it was going on the album, he was understandably furious, and immediately told the world that he'd left the Beatles.

I've listened to the bass on the song, and what George Martin said is right. That book actually lists all of the mistakes Lennon makes in the song - it's quite a long list...

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's a 'stripped-down' version of "The Long & Winding Road" on the third Anthology disc; the booklet calls it "as nature intended"(only The Beatles' & Billy Preston instrumentation...NO ORCHESTRAL & CHORAL TRACKS produced by Phil Spector).

I dunno about "Taxman"; IMHO, it's gotta be Paul! ;)

19. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    hmmm, now that I think about it, the tone of the bass on Helter Skelter and While My Guitar Gently Weeps sounds kind of similar...along with a bunch of other songs on that album. Any thoughts on that? Could it be the Fender that was floating around at that time saw a lot of recording time?

The few times I've actually listened to The Long and Winding Road, I haven't caught any glaring bass mistakes. It can't be as bad as that botched piano chord in Let It Be. Probably just another bash Lennon's guitar playing kind of thing :D

20. I absolutely love the tone that those old early sixties bass rigs had. They are so warm and clear sounding. Like Mccartney, Creedence and the Beach Boys. After the mid sixties, basses never sounded like that again.

Just while we are on the subject, how do you guys get the bassline from 'Come Together' to sound the same as the recorded version? I can get it to sound close but I cant get it to sound exact. Is it just normal tuning?
    This is what I play:

G|-------------------------10--------|
    D|------------------------------12\--|
    A|------------10--h12-------------|
    E|--10--10-------------------------|

But those last two notes never sound right. G10 and D12 just dont sound quite right. Any tips?
    Jim