1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sir psycho sexy synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by darthplagis, May 5, 2006.

1. hi people, as title says could anybody advise me on how to get the synth/filtered sound from sir psycho.

i have a BODxtl and am used to fiddling with menu driven effects i just cant seem to get the right gargle :crying: from either the synths or the auto wah type filters any advice would be great :help:

2. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Check this out.
    That maybe - and I really mean "maybe" - answer your question. :D
    It's not like use-the-same-effect-get-the-same-sound type of thing...
    Some said he used a q-tron with dying batteries...

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    It was a mutron with a dying battery.

I liked the way my prunes and custard sounded, but the Ibanez SB-7 does it great as well.

I think generally any fuzz filter combo will sound great for it and then just cut the fuzz in and out when needed.

4. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah.

I hit the search button and I found q-tron with dying batteries, mu-tron III with dying batteries, mini q-tron with dying batteries, bassballs plus dod fuzz...

My advice: get a dying battery. You'll be half way there... :D

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I really need to try my AF-9 with some kind of dying battery emulation. If my theory is correct it could work very nicely. Until then I run a lightly distorted signal into the AF-9 with the sensitivity set to where the filter only just opens to get that warbly sound. Sounds good enough for now.

6. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Nice!
    Thanks, Ice-Man.

7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I've heard the "Mutron with dying battery" answer from enough varied sources to think that it's probably accurate. But - I also think that a Bassballs with the knob at about 10:00, with the distortion engaged, sounds pretty darn close.

As for the settings, though, and as is true with any filter, your results will vary depending upon how hot your output is. My Yamaha TRB5 has Bartolinis and an OBP-3, and for whatever reason it has _extremely_ low output, for instance.