1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

15 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

27 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Natural/ Ash

149 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

92 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

147 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. White/ Ash

73 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. White/ Alder

107 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

95 vote(s)
    10.4%
  9. M3

26 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. M7

79 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

217 vote(s)
    23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mazian

Mazian

Oct 26, 2018
    Germany
    Just got this beauty.
    Since it's my first real bass, I can't really say too much, but it feels and plays nice to me. Very happy so far!
    IMG_20181123_151700.

One Way, AJBass-85, Farrin D and 4 others like this.
  2. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    Nice, and congrats! A P7 4 string in alder replaced my first bass (well, first one in 20 years) as well, and it took me from "I kinda enjoy this, but I hate playing this bass" to "I gotta do this every chance I get". Was up last night at midnight wailing away even though it was well past my bed time, it's like I am 16 again. :)

J.Ja

3. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    My Doc keeps telling me I'm the wrong side of 16 !

Mazian, Plutonium244 and jmjames like this.
  4. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    Congrats on the NBD! my fellow lefty! I have 2 lefties from Sire, a P7 in black and a V7 in white.

5. Mazian

Mazian

Oct 26, 2018
    Germany
    So I've noticed that the nut holding the stacked master tone/volume is a little loose, making the whole thing a bit wobbly. Nothing too bad yet, but it needs fixing none the less.
    No I've read that people are having a bit of a hard time pulling the knobs on the Sire basses and/or wrecking the pots, so I'm a bit cautious. Any tips?
    I've replaced many a knob on my guitars, so basically I know what to do, I just don't want to wreck my new bass.

6. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    Here you go, try this it worked for me.

7. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    OK... I went to put a set of flatwound strings on my P7 5 string, this is my first time ever with flatwounds... and with the silk wrappings at the ball end, they don't go all of the way through the bridge... is there a trick here? Should I put them on and count on the tension from the tuner to pull them the rest of the way through (this seems like a HORRIBLE idea)? Should I drill out my bridge a bit (not a fan of this idea either)? Return them and get a different set? These are the Dunlop flatwounds by the way, and the gauges are pretty similar to the EXL 170's that came on it in the first place, I didn't expect to have *this* problem of all things...

J.Ja

8. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Compare the length of the old vs new strings. If the new ones are longer you need extra long strings.

9. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    The problem wasn't on the tuner end, it was on the ball end, it was too THICK to fit through the bridge. I did some additional searching, and decided that removing the wrap entirely was the right approach. :)

J.Ja

FunWithBass likes this.
  10. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Okay. Glad you got it solved.

11. So, is anybody got their new 2nd gen?
    I would like to know if it is worth de price bump.

I'm looking to trade my 4 string ash TSB 1st gen for an antique white alder 5 string, but I dont see the 2nd gen antique white/ebony 5 string available yet, not in their site nor in Thomann.

Are all the 1st gen colours available in 2nd gen?

12. ccjacks3

ccjacks3

Jun 25, 2018
    So I’ve got the V3, and M2 (Maple neck) and I’ve got a wild wish. I would love for Sire to make a “P3” precision style bass in the vein of a cheaper P7 with a mahogany body, maple neck, ebony or maple fingerboard, possibly a precision neck and the amazing Sire Pre-Amp.

Would this be appealing to anyone else or am I crazy?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  13. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    A few people here have asked for exactly that. I am not sure if they would do a P neck, they seem pretty set on the J neck for the time being... but who knows?

J.Ja

ccjacks3 likes this.
  14. ccjacks3

ccjacks3

Jun 25, 2018
    I’m glad I’m not the only one. I keep tweeting and tagging sire in social media posts but I’m likely just a pest to them at this point.

whamni likes this.
  15. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Just picked up a Sire VV7 Generation 2 ash/maple 4 string. Weighs 8lb 13oz but some in the shop were heavier. Bought it mail order but got the shop to weigh it first. Very similar to Generation 1 but the neck feels smoother. The real difference is the sound. More clarity and zing. Bass seems deeper and more crisp. You don't realise the Gen 1 is a bit duller until you play the Gen 2 next to it. I love the Gen 1 but the 2 is definitely an improvement. Check out the Anthony Vitti YouTube comparison. He pretty much nails the differences on the video. Have not gigged it yet but will in a few weeks.

Starrchild, jmjames and bholder like this.
  16. crammit442

crammit442

Dec 1, 2018
    I hope this is an appropriate question for this thread. I'm about to purchase my first bass. As a huge Geddy fan I just always assumed I'd get a Fender Jazz of some sort. The Sire V3 was recommended to me in another thread. No one carries them locally so I won't be able to actually handle one before buying. The features and reviews seem to make Sire a much better instrument for the money. Would most of "the Sire Club" agree with that? Also, while cost is important, would there be an apreciable difference (for a complete beginner) in the V3 and V7? Thanks in advance.
    Charles

17. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Geddy Lee basses look great (made is Japan or more expensive one in the USA). Very thin neck front to back apparently though I've never played one. They are passive unlike the active Sire V7 Vintage which has a similar neck profile. Personally I like active for the huge range of tones but lots of people also like passive.

18. crammit442

crammit442

Dec 1, 2018
    Since I don't actually really play yet:cool:, my appreciation for a particular bass's playability (feel) will be pretty limited. If I enjoy it and continue to play, I can always get a GL once I learn what I like. The ability to play active or passive is attractive. I guess my question (assuming I get a Sire) is whether or not the upgrades on the V7 over the V3 would be wasted on me as I begin learning to play. My guess is that the V3 is more than enough bass to carry me through the early and intermediate phases of learning. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again.
    Charles

19. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

Get the V3

20. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Never played a V3 but I'm sure they'd be great. Probably competing more with Ibanez basses whereas the V7 is a fender Jazz or Precision competitor. There's also a switch to toggle between active and passive mode.

Sire are pro quality basses at beginner prices. I've owned and played basses costing five times that of the Sire and still come back to it as my "go to" bass. How can you go wrong!

lowdownthump likes this.