1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

15 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

27 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Natural/ Ash

149 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

92 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

147 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. White/ Ash

73 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. White/ Alder

107 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

95 vote(s)
    10.4%
  9. M3

26 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. M7

79 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

217 vote(s)
    23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    The V3 should work well for you. As far as quality is concerned, I bought an M3 sight unseen and I am extremely happy with it. And in comparison to my Fender P Bass standard (MIM), the quality is about the same if not better. Order it and enjoy!!!!!!!

2. crammit442

crammit442

Dec 1, 2018
    Thanks for the input. FWIW, the Sire website shows an active/passive toggle on the V3 as well. Might just be on the new 2nd gen. I'm still going down to the local music shop to look at some other brands, but I'm fairly sure I've decided on a V3. Thanks much!
    Charles

lowdownthump, generalduncan and BasEd like this.
  3. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    Burbank, CA
    Just wanted to clarify, the V3 also has the active passive switch. The preamp config is the exact same as the V7, but the pickups are slightly different (as well as a satin neck, different frets, different bridge).

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. crammit442

crammit442

Dec 1, 2018
    I'd definitely prefer the V7 bridge and the satin neck. I'm thinking that the string through option will make the lower end bridge less important and any tackiness from the gloss neck can be softened with a light scuffing. The 2nd gen V3 neck has the same radius as the V7 now as well.
    Charles

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I have a V3 and very happy with it, I currently play it alongside a MIM Fender Jazz and honestly, I seem to like the Sire better in terms of quality and sound variety-it really is a good bass for the money, perhaps not quite at MIA Jazz quality which I've also owned, but pretty darn close. This is the V3, perhaps the V7 might narrow that gap even more so. I do play some Rush too. it handles that Geddy sound pretty well. Before I purchased the V3, I was debating whether to go with the V3 or V7, but loved the mahogany finish of the V3. The preamp is the same between the two btw. If anything, there's the new version of the Sire basses coming out Version 2, Gen 2 whatever it's called, you may want to read about it and see if the new features are something you'd like to wait on.

EDIT: I have a First Gen V3, and yes, it too has the active/passive switch. It has string thru option too and satin neck.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    The differences between the 2/3 "low end" and the 7/9 "high end" of Sire will not make a difference to someone just learning the bass. They are "nice to have" items for sure, and if money was no object yeah feel free to upgrade me. But if I had a V7 budget as a beginner, I'd much rather take that price difference and put it to lessons, which will make a MUCH bigger difference to your sound and happiness than 3 vs. 7. Or if lessons are somehow free (or unavailable), a better amp, experimenting with a variety of strings, or get some pedals to help you enjoy yourself a bit more.

J.Ja

7. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I would get the V7 if you can swing it but there are no problems with the V3 and the V3 MA Gloss red is amazing looking!

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. crammit442

crammit442

Dec 1, 2018
    The 2nd gens are in stock and shipping now! That's what I'll be ordering. Most likely white, but possibly black.

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. crammit442

crammit442

Dec 1, 2018
    That's almost precisely my logic in choosing the V3. It will probably be quite a while before I can really appreciate the differences. The same concept is true in cycling .A $2500-3000 bike will cover most riders. The precision and quality of a $9k mtn bike is REALLY awesome, but won't make the average rider any faster. There's just so much more to be gained in technique and fitness.
    Charles

lowdownthump, jmjames, RNG1 and 2 others like this.
  10. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    The V3 colors are all great. I would get all of them if I could :smug:

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    I think Sire basses are the best bang for buck you can get at the moment. That being said, When I wanted to start playing the bass the best advice I got was to get a cheap used Ibanez SR300 or a Cort B4N. They are rediculously easy to play, sound good enough, and weigh about 6 lbs. soaking wet. While you are getting acquainted with the bass, go out and play a wide variety of basses and over time your preferences will become known.

12. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    I'd imagine there'll be a few 1st Generation Sires on eBay soon! In fact Thomann and Andertons are already selling them fairly cheaply new. Even though I now have the 2nd Generation I wouldn't want to part with my 1st Generation unless it doesn't get used anymore. It's still a great bass.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I don't think I'd part with my 1st Gen V3, but have to admit I've been debating whether to sell my M3 to fund the purchase of one of these 2nd gen V7s. We'll see. I noticed they don't make the M3 anymore and it's no longer listed on their website- there also seems to be less of a difference between the 1st and 2nd Gen M2s other than the rolled fretboard.

14. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I'm keeping my M3 forever. Can't think of anything that I would replace it with.

Maxdusty likes this.
  15. ccjacks3

ccjacks3

Jun 25, 2018
    What other bass would you compare the M2/M3 to in terms of tone?

16. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    I think the M Series basses are aimed at the Ibanez/Yamaha/Schecter market. Basses with two soapbar humbuckers.

ccjacks3 and bholder like this.
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yes, I'd agree with that, closer to the Schecter/Ibanez than the Yamaha though. maybe the Schecter in terms of tone as Schecters seem to have more low end than the Ibanez Sr700 I owned. I was playing my M3 last night and it really reminded me of the Schecter Stiletto Elite I used to own but with a much better EQ system.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    ccjacks3 likes this.
  18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My new 1st Gen V7 Vintage.
    sire.

19. ccjacks3

ccjacks3

Jun 25, 2018
    Ahh that’s a good comparison. My M2 with the Marcus Miller Super Brights is a beast. Also, I’m gonna keep bringing this up but when they finally listen to us and make a “P3” to go along with the V3 and M2 we’ll have the whole spectrum covered and I’ll be overjoyed.

Maxdusty, lowdownthump and bholder like this.
  20. ranat

ranat

Dec 22, 2010
    LA California
    Hi guys, anyone has used Sire Gigbag intensively and found a small sharp fiber like this? I have Mono and never used it since Sire bag arrives, I love how light and thick sire bag is but today I found a nightmare on my P7, and I Checked out all my other basses including my lovely Yamaha BBNE & 5P that used sire bag as well, Same result scratch on the back body!!’ please kindly check yours before you scratch your basses! I’m afraid the fiber is protruding out after couple of extensively use.

Attached Files: