1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

31 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

165 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

100 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

158 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. White/ Ash

83 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

114 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Black/ Alder

102 vote(s)
    10.2%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

82 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

234 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bassesh

Bassesh

Jan 16, 2018
    Assuming you are referring to the 2nd gen V7s, the vintage line has gloss back of neck and "vintage" fretboard radios. 7.25 if my memory serves me right.

2. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    So after having my 2nd gen V7 for some weeks now, I’ve come to the conclusion that the tuners need to be change, I’m constantly tuning.
    Also I feel like the nut slots can cut a little deeper, too much of the string is sits out. Might have to replace it too, since it is pretty low and slotting might not be an option with out the string laying on the fretboard. These are just my observations, YMMV.

3. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Interesting how things work out. I’ve had my gen 1 for nearly 4 1/2 years and it rarely goes out of tune. Never had to adjust the truss rod either after the initial setup I did.

4. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Didn’t have tuning issues with my 1st gen V7 too, although I did need to cut the nut slots on that one also. To me the string should sit in the slot and be even with the top of the nut. Not the case with my current V7.

5. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Southwest Florida
    And yet, everyone wants a Gen 2.. I'd rather deal w a 10lb bass that looks good, sounds great and stays in tune ;)

6. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Well, my issue could be a just that, my issue. This version is a much better bass all around.
    There were more QC problems with 1st generation that I recall vs 2nd.

7. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    My P7 plays perfectly and the strings sit higher on the nut than that. Same with my Sadowsky, Lull and Smith basses. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bass with strings that are set that low on (in) the nut.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  8. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Any way none of the basses I own/owned have the strings sit so high on the nut. I’m taking it to the shop and have it looked at.

9. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Just to complete the story: Thomann has sent replacement tuners at no cost although I was already beyond the warranty period (3yrs in Germany). Good customer service !

bholder, Fialka and onestone like this.
  10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Not my best work...but listen to how that V10 pumps! Genzler MG800 + TE Elf 2x8 + Fearless 112.

Farrin D likes this.
  11. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    Do you know of a strap lock that would match the Sire's without swapping the original pegs? I have some spare Schaller strap lock sets that i could use, but those pegs would need to be drilled to make the Sire's larger screws fit, so i'm looking for other options.

12. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Here’s a pic of the nut 1 of my basses, notice how the strings sit in the nut? This is to me is how the strings should sit.
    077A5A6C-4483-44BA-9851-5EEF8CF80B30.

13. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi Jamarvic,

Where the strings sit in the nut is more a function of the nut's overall thickness. Most luthiers are going to file a nut from the bottom to lower string action. Of course if one string is much higher, that particular slot could be filed.

All the best,

Bob

14. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Hi Bob,
    How slots are filed or how high or low the nut is in relation to the fretboard would affect playability, yes?
    If the nut is too high it makes 1st position fretting a little difficult, if it’s too low you get buzzing on open strings. If the slots aren’t wide enough that’s a whole different issue.
    Now this isn’t a $2k bass so I’m not expecting perfection,also this may be why I’m having issues staying in tune?
    My last Sire I had the slots filed a bit and had the frets leveled and couldn’t have been happier...except for the weight and 7.25 radius. Again YMMV

Cheers

15. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi,

Yes, string height at both the nut and saddle effect playability. But what I'm saying is that normally the nut is filed/sanded from the bottom to place the strings at the proper height, and you can't judge solely by where the string sits in the nut for this reason.

Bob

16. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Ok
    Another way to look at it, the nut height on my bass is short in relation to the fretboard, so the slots were filed high, otherwise the strings won’t have enough space to vibrate freely. So either a little filing or a new nut are in order.

17. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Okay.

Remember, I said normally...

Bob

18. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Lol..

19. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    The Dunlops fit great for me on two different Gen 1 P7's. I put a piece of toothpick in there (no glue) to make sure it was a nice, tight fit, though it might not be needed.

J.Ja

onestone likes this.
  20. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    That might work for the Schallers as well, but just to be on the safe side, i'd rather not swap to smaller screws. I guess i'll drill the Schaller pegs after all.