1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

31 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

165 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

100 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

158 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. White/ Ash

83 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

114 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Black/ Alder

102 vote(s)
    10.2%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

82 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

234 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I used Schallers on a couple of my basses. There was no need to drill, just use the longer screws that come with the strap locks. If you don't have those, just jam a toothpick in each hold and that will do ya.

onestone likes this.
  2. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Sire folks,

Does the M2 have a string-thru body bridge design? At that price point that'd be killer.

3. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    I use Dunlop "dual design" on most of my basses, and if I recall correctly, when installing them on my V7 version 1, the Dunlop screw was longer, and is very secure.

onestone likes this.
  4. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Yes, or at least it says so on the M2 product page on the Sire web site, even has pictures.

UPS says mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some pictures up over the weekend.

downunder likes this.
  5. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    I didn't see any pictures of the back on the site, my bad.

I also did a search on the product page for key terms that would've told me, but nothing.

Thanks for the reply! Grats on the bass ahead of time.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Any news on the short scales?

HelpImaRock likes this.
  7. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Definitely easy to miss—the page is huge and scrolls forever. Doesn't help that the page says "body thru" so if you searched for "through" you'd miss it. It's not a great picture, either: head-on on the back of a white bass, zoomed in and cropped so you can't really tell you're looking at the back of a bass. I should have said "a crappy picture" rather than "pictures." o_O

Actually, in general, the Sire M2 page needs some better pictures. Lots of pics zoomed in tight, but no full-body pictures other than looking straight at the face of it. The GC web site has better pics, but they're pics of a 1st gen—you can tell from the plastic battery covers.

I will now go hit "refresh" on my tracking app for the millionth time. Can't wait to get that black beauty into my hands...

8. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Doh! That's what did it. Why spell it that way? :roflmao:

9. Bad_tattoo

Bad_tattoo

Jan 23, 2019
    Denmark
    70263350_2207875909503331_6617864924561408000_o. Fretless V3's are rolling out says Sire

10. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I haven’t made it all the way through this recent video of Marcus Miller live in France yet, but he does pick up his V7 fretless 5’er for a nice solo at around 10:31.

And it’s nice that he speaks to the audience in French!

generalduncan and bholder like this.
  11. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    8 Straight on. So my M2 did indeed arrive yesterday, hooray!

I took many pictures through the unboxing process, so be warned, there's a lot here.

I'm a pretty new player and this is only my second bass, so take my reactions with a grain of salt, but here are some initial thoughts:

* I think it's gorgeous. I don't think the photos on the Sire site do it justice because you can't see the band of exposed wood just under the top. Love that. Went with black because I don't like the light-colored neck on the blue one.

* It's heavier than my Ibanez starter bass. Not crazy heavy or anything, but heavier than that. Heavier wood, to be sure, but the body is also thicker.

* Came out of the box set up pretty well. The action on the E string is a little lower than the other three and that can make it buzzy (especially in drop D), but that should be an easy adjustment to make.

* The neck is amazing. I've tried a whole bunch of different basses at my local GC and none of them felt this good. The rolled edges are nice and all, but really it's just the overall feel that does it.

* The tone is great, and in particular the differences in tone that you can get, even without doing much EQing, is terrific. Bridge pickup in particular is super-punchy.

* One of the reasons I was so interested in the Sire is that it's one of the cheaper basses that does active and passive (got to go up to the $500 Yamaha to get that). What's really nice is that switching from active to passive is pretty smooth in terms of volume. It's a little louder on active but not dramatically louder.

* I can't believe the batteries came with it. My son came downstairs as I was done unboxing and asked if we could play and I sent him to get batteries. We were both shocked when I opened the cover and they were already in there. Nice touch, Sire.

Attached Files:

12. Downlowsince81

Downlowsince81

Mar 15, 2019
    I told you the new neck on the Gen 2 is impressive. Nice pics, & enjoy playing that awesone bass!

13. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    I only got to play it for about a half an hour yesterday, but I got about 90 minutes today and the more I play it, the more I like the neck. Just feels so easy going up and down.

Thanks, I already am!

14. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Seems to be a lot of bass for the money; like elsewhere in this thread. Amazing what you can get at that price point now.

mexicant and Downlowsince81 like this.
  15. Downlowsince81

Downlowsince81

Mar 15, 2019
    I completely agree with "Sleepyshark". When I was an active musician, I tried playing virtually every brand , including quite a few boutique basses (passive and active). Now that I am a house Jam bassist (lol) I look for great deals on basses that can duplicate the ska and alternative sound I used to get with my Spector Euro, Warwick, & GIbson SG.
    I can tell you I would choose any Sire eyes closed to duplicate almost any genre or bass. Passive mode also is amazing, but that preamp is on par with the emg, bartolini or the aguilar preamps I have used in the past. With a few upgrades (high mass bridge, upgraded tuners, & split coil option), the M2/M3 would give Fender American Basses a definite run for the money.
    Enjoy the M2 sound and the extra cash in your pocket! Prices for these basses can only go up! All I have done to mine is switch to Dr Hi Beams and add Dunlop strap locks, & that is all I need!

Oly Spart likes this.
  16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    ...basically describes the M7. ;)

Here's mine, a fretless 5, just because I haven't posted it in a while. :D

Sire M7 fretless 5 trans blue 003.

17. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    M2 can be modified to obtain split coil?

18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Can someone who has one open it up and see how many wires come off of each pickup? I suspect it's only 2, or 2 + shield, in which case, not so easy.

Oly Spart likes this.
  19. Downlowsince81

Downlowsince81

Mar 15, 2019
    Yes, your suspicion is correct. It would be easier to upgrade the m2 to an entirely different pickup and preamp, than to try modify the existing pickup configuration for a split coil option.
    With that being said, I will be enjoying the M2 bass for its amazing sound, & save to add an M7 to the collection when I get another GAS flare up! I have never picked up and played a Sire bass that left me dissapointed.

20. Riccobass

Riccobass

Aug 24, 2006
    Hey fellow Sire bros! I just bought,a Sire V10 5 string, and my dilemma is, should I put the clear pick guard on, or leave it off?