1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

31 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

165 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

100 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

158 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. White/ Ash

83 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

114 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Black/ Alder

102 vote(s)
    10.2%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

82 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

234 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I left mine off, but I only play with my fingers. I don't use a pick or slap.

2. Riccobass

Riccobass

Aug 24, 2006
    I do slap,but I'm kinda not wanting to drill holes in the wood, but at the same time,dont want to scratch up the body from slap abuse.

3. 26569E8B-636F-4515-B057-A57BC0B3533E. I added a black pick guard to start with because I want less space between the strings and the body. I have ordered a wooden one to get better matching with the top. I’ll get it any day hopefully.

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    A quick little jam this past Sunday with my V10 5

5. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    So, my M2 is in the shop because raising the action on the E string didn't really solve the buzzing/rattling problem, so time to get someone with more experience to look at it. Weird that my $200 Ibanez, ordered on Amazon, came set up basically perfectly, but I'm having an issue (not a major one, just an annoying one) with the Sire.

@mickebas, that is just gorgeous.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I say we leave it off. Do tops get that beat up from slapping?

downunder and Machiavelli like this.
  7. Riccobass

Riccobass

Aug 24, 2006
    @eli...depending on usage, the area under the 1st pickup, gets scuffed up

8. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Sounds like a dilemma to me.

downunder likes this.
  9. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    @eli I think having to drill holes in the bass is a dealbreaker. Plus Having no plate for the controls makes the pickguard look a little odd and out of place imo. Although maybe a clear one wouldn’t be, as much.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 7:20 AM
  10. Exactly my problem. But unfortunately it's a common jazz bass problem. I have 'killed one of the pup's on my V7 just trying to knock down the pole pieces on the outer strings. The only way around this problem as I see it is to order a custom pu'p with higher pole pieces on the D & A string or if you're playing a 4 string, get the DiMarzio J's with adjustable pole pieces. It's not my favorite pickup as far as sound goes, but it's pretty solid and with a good, high output, so I have these on many of my jazzstyle basses just to get the string balance right. This is an issue that I been more and more aware of through the years and now it's almost impossible for me to play most jazz basses as they come.
    I can't believe it's never really been adressed except on custom pickups... even Fender don't seem to care about the issue.

11. kwaskior

kwaskior

Jan 26, 2014
    Beautiful family! V10 is very good finish

mickebas likes this.
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have never noticed this issue with ANY of my Sire basses. Can you actually hear this in a gigging situation?

One Way and jjk2007 like this.
  13. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Perhaps the whole pickup is too close to the strings, making the difference greater? Maybe lower the whole thing and see if that helps.

This having been said, I also notice no string balance issues with my new-to-me Gen 1 V7 5 string ash body.

Of course, the original questioner posted this some three years ago...

One Way likes this.
  14. Yes, that’s when the issue gets even more evident, but as I said it’s not a specific Sire problem, it’s a traditional jazz bass pickup configuration problem and I guess a physical problem. 95% of the time on a jazz bass, especially with a somewhat vintage radius (7,25’-10’), the E-string and G-string will be too strong and the D-string too weak. This problem pretty much disappears if you can lower the pole pieces on the outer strings and maybe raise the one on the D-string.

15. Yes, one way of trying to come to terms with the balance between the strings on a J-style instrument is, as you say, to raise the strings further from the pole pieces and not follow the radius of the fingerboard but that leaves you with a not as comfortable playing set up and the problem remains but a little less obvious maybe.
    As I said, this is not a Sire specific problem, it’s on most Fenders jazzes and J-style instruments.
    Since the way the split P-bass pickup is constructed it’s really a mystery to me what Fender where thinking when designing the Jazz bass. They where experimenting with raised poles on some strings on some of the 50’s Strats and guitars so it’s not like they didn’t know of the problem.

16. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I didn't mean raise the strings, I meant lower the pickups. If the whole pickup is lower, then the difference in distance to the strings is not as big.

17. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So there must be a way to do it. Assuming they slide (with some force)? I know I did exactly this for exactly this reason on a Duncan Quarter Pounder (added in the bridge position) on a 4-string fretless P many years ago. There's a limit to how far you can go because as the magnet moves out of the coil, you lose output. I may have raised the A and D a little and lowered the E and G a little, can't remember.

18. Ok. Well, either way the natural solution would be having the pole pieces follow the radius and having slightly raised A&D string poles (on a 4str) or lowered on the E & G strings. This is how I solved the problem and it works fine although it’s risky and sometimes the pickups cooper wire breaks and the pu’p dies. It has happened to me a couple of times but usually it works and solves the problem. I killed one of the pup’s on my V7 doing it but on my V10 I managed to do it without problems.
    I’ve done this for +30 years on my J-basses or I’ve installed DiMarzio J’s or custom pup’s so it’s nothing new that has to do with Sire. And I guess we all prefer different action on our instruments and have different ways of playing so it might not be a problem for everyone.

19. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Glad it worked out (most of the time, anyway). How exactly did you move the polepieces in the Sire pickups? With what tools?

20. I used these tools and just tried to go carefully so that the pole pieces isn’t to violently moved and the wire breaks.
    I heard from luthiers that the best, safest way of doing this is to remove the pu’p and force the inner pole pieces (A&D strings) upwards.
    But I did it the faster, more risky way and left the pup’s in their place and just carefully knocked the outer ((E&A) down a bit. But do it light and slow so that the pole pieces don’t disappear too far down and you will have the opposite problem instead. A little goes a long way.

92D069F9-0E33-4BD0-891E-2D0C178890B4.

eli likes this.