1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

31 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

167 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

102 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

158 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. White/ Ash

84 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

117 vote(s)
    11.6%
  8. Black/ Alder

102 vote(s)
    10.1%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

82 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

237 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kwaskior

kwaskior

Jan 26, 2014
    Did anyone buy the cover battery of the 1st generation?

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Do you mean, did anyone have to replace the battery cover on the 1st generation bass?

3. HughC

HughC

Aug 6, 2018
    Ashburn, VA
    Could you attach the pick guard with double sided tape?

4. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    NOW we're getting somewhere!

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Do they make clear tape?

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Absolutely! Scotch 3M #667 tape is clear and removable. I don't think I would use the stuff that is called "permanent".

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Maybe double sided tape has seen some engineering improvements than the stuff I am used to but I guess double sided tape would probably leave worse residuals than screws after removing them. And after some heat or UV treatment double sided tape could turn into a pretty nasty mess. Nothing that I would like to have to remove from my bass.

downunder and Machiavelli like this.
  8. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    Update on my electronics problem...

End of August I bought a P7-5 first gen from Thomann. When I first got it and plugged it in, left it in passive mode, the P pickup was noticeably weaker than the J pickup. But, later, after unplugging and plugging in again, the P pickup was very full and overpowered the J pickup. I thought all was perfect, but occasionally I would plug in and the P pickup seemed much weaker, but unplugging and reinserting brought it back.

As an experiment I took out the batteries last night and the bass was normal in passive mode, but this morning I plugged in and we're back to a weaker signal from the P Pickup. But, this time, unplugging and reinserting did not bring it back. But, when I unplugged, put the batteries back in, and plugged in again all is back to normal. What gives? Remember, this is all in passive mode.

Now I will leave the bass in active mode and see if this signal drop still occurs. Anyone ever have a similar problem? I don't want to return the bass, it's perfect except for this problem.

9. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    No go. Leaving the bass in active mode makes no difference. Sometimes the P pickup is nice and full, and sometimes it seems weak and lacks bottom end. Is it the pickup? The electronics? The jack? Why me? It's not the amp or the cord, as all my other basses work fine and I have tried other amps and cords.

I love the bass, I just want it to be perfect!

10. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    So we had a men’s event at my church last night and had some music for entertainment. We had 3 bands play and I got asked to backup one of our MD’s Dad who is quite the picker and likes classic rock type stuff. One of the other groups was a modern P&W band and then a band based out of our church that writes original music. I thought I would share a pic of all the bass headstocks.....they all sounded great in the FOH. :D

[​IMG]

TB24, Bassesh, mexicant and 1 other person like this.
  11. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    When things are intermittent and work when THEY want to, I would first suspect a loose wire or bad solder joint somewhere.

TB24 and Papuzzo like this.
  12. kwaskior

kwaskior

Jan 26, 2014
    yes, I asked to Sire Facebook and They said I contact to shop.

13. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi all,
    Just started to follow this thread as I am considering purchasing a 2nd generation P7. I’m wondering if anyone who owns both a 1st and 2nd generation model has noticed an improvement in the tuners? I notice some mentions of tuner failures and people changing them out to aftermarket Hipshot, etc. Thanks for any info on this.

14. Modler

Modler

Jan 16, 2017
    Denmark
    I've had two tuners on my 1. Gen V7 replaced under warranty. I can tell from pictures that the 2. Gens have different tuners, and they look more robust. But I don't know how much better they are.
    I think the P7 had these upgraded tuners right from the beginning, but all the 2. Gen V7's and P7's definately have them.

15. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the feedback!

16. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    That's what Thomann thinks as well. Thomann is great, and they assured me that they will get the bass to 100% even if they have to gut the bass and redo all the electronics.

I live about 5 hours from Thomann, I think I will do a little mini vacation and bring them the bass to fix, and then spend a day or two at Europe's biggest music store. I also have my eye on the V7-5 Swamp Ash and the M2-5 in trans blue. I may come home with 3 basses!

17. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Glad to hear they are taking care of you!

18. Romex

Romex

Mar 20, 2017
    Poland
    The 2 gen. tuners are much better in my opinion. They are made of better material, they also have a different design, more turns is needed to tune the string. For me it's good, it allows to tune the bass precisely, no nervous spinning back and forth. I don't feel any need to change the 2 gen tuners. I would be willing to change 1 gen tuners .

joemer likes this.
  19. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Agreed, the tuners changed somewhere along the line on the V1s before the V2s came out. I had an older V1 and agree that the turners were nothing special, then got a newer V1 with the same great tuners as the V2s have.

joemer likes this.
  20. HughC

HughC

Aug 6, 2018
    Ashburn, VA
    I don't think removing tape residue would require more than a few minutes with a paper towel and a bit of Goo Gone. YMMV.