1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

172 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

163 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Black/ Alder

103 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

84 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

242 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the tips.. and for the shaft sizes. Ordered some gotoh knobs with set screws that should hopefully do the trick.

2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    This is my 6th Sire. I've owned a V7 4, (2) V7 5, and VV7 5 all first gen. I've also owned an M7 5, and P7 5 both 1st Gen. Comparing the V10 to any of those would be unfair. The neck alone (asymmetrical design) is totally different. It's just so comfortable and easy to play. The rolled fret edges are a nice touch. The new control layout and knobs are a big upgrade for me. I still own the P7 5, and love it for it's thump.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    TB24 and mmbass21 like this.
  3. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks for that info, can't wait for my gen 2 v7 4st to come in this week. I'm really intrigued about the asymmetrical neck shape on the v10, I hope to try one at some point.

4. Rokknbass

Rokknbass

Nov 14, 2011
    Dont know if this issue has been brought up but
    Just bought a V3 2nd Gen 4 string and when playing with my band the higher notes seem to get lost and dont have definition or punch. Its all good with the lower strings E and A but when i climb the neck the notes are just gone. My guitar player noticed it as well. It also doesn't seem to have much sustain on those higher frets as well.

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I would think that could be dead strings. If these are the stock strings that came with the bass, try changing to your normal brand.

mexicant and Rokknbass like this.
  6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I'd say strings too .

7. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Having a 2ndGen V7 I gig with regularly, it can be a few factors:

1. Band mix, does your guitarist turn way up and use a scooped eq? That will drown out almost any bass.

2. It's not a Sire thing, moreso a jazz bass thing. If you're using both pickups full and the tone full open, it can happen on any jazz. Try moving the blend knob a touch to the front and roll the tone off a bit. Or roll the blend a touch to the bridge pickup if that's more your style.

bholder and Rokknbass like this.
  8. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    What are everyone's experiences with replacing the bridge and tuners on the V7 Gen 1 5-string? For 80% aesthetic reasons (and 20% things I've read about the gen 1 hardware), I want to swap out the bridge and tuners on my V7 Vintage Gen 1 to black hardware, to match the inlays and pickguard.

Based on what I've read around the internets, I'm leaning towards the Hipshot A-style with 18mm string spacing. Does anyone have experience with that bridge on their Sire V7? Anything that's a better fit?

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Search this thread for "hipshot bridge" and you will find a TON of comments.

bholder and jimb213 like this.
  10. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    I wonder if I missed something but it seems to me essentially the 2nd gen V3 and V7 (regular not vintage) have different pickups, tuners and bridge. Also there's no binding and less color options on V3. Some say their V3 was not set up at all, while I do not notice this from V7 reviews. The Sire website makes the V3 bridge sound great even if different, pickup and tuners are called almost the same but not quite. Of course they want them both to sound like quality instruments but at the same time they need to point out differences to guide the customer to choose V7 if they want the better of the two and can afford it.

So, I guess all those details can and did add up to the price difference of about 300 euro vs 500 euro. But do people who have owned or at least had the chance to play both find any one of those differences more notable than others. I mean is it almost as good all round, just a little cheaper, or do you find one of those more noticeable than others? What's the first bit you'd consider upgrading because (or if) it feels a bit off?

Oh, the body wood and fret board are different. Those you can't really swap but I am actually highly tempted by the V3 in mahogany (both the body wood which I have nothing against personally and the color option which looks awesome in pictures). That or a Tobacco sunburst V7 (V7 burst looks better than V3 burst) but since I'm more comfortable with a P-style wider neck than the 38 mm J nut my current thinking is I should choose the less expensive option unless there is something to consider I am not yet aware of.

Hard facts or personal feelings on the subject are welcome and please feel free to point me at existing info on whatever detail in my above ramblings in case I did miss the exact same discussion previously.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am considering a four string now. I already had a 5 string V7 (first gen) which was a very nice bass but I moved back to fours because of personal issues, not because of anything wrong with that particular bass. (So, yes, I am currently Jazzless and Sireless which feels wrong somehow...)

11. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    a-37, I suggest a trip to either Andertons or Thomann and sit down with both. It is hard to describe how a bass feels, plays and sounds with words, and with words having varying meanings from one person to the next, trying to understand something like how a bass feels, plays and sounds is difficult. I did a road trip to Thomann a month ago and it was well worth the time, money and effort and I came home with two new basses.

That being said, I personally think the V7 is worth the money over the V3. At Thomann the difference is only a €100 or so. I also think at these ridiculous prices, having 2 of each is not out of the question.

a-37 and Machiavelli like this.
  12. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    Difficult indeed I know. I was thinking maybe there happens to be something in particular that comes up more than once when people decide to go for V7 instead of V3 that might affect my choice. Or unlikely but someone happens to point out a difference in the neck profile or something that nudges me in one direction or the other...

Maybe from continental Europe :) Could be a fun vacation project some year but not the time for that now. I am afraid something very much like what you did happens and I should not even buy one cheap bass at the moment not to mention two...

My current number one choices mentioned above are 319e and 499e at Thomann right now. I do realize one each or two V7s even would be less than the bass I bought last year so you are right of course. I should just buy one... for now :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  13. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The preamp is the same. The neck is the same. Body shape is the same. I have been following this thread for a while and have not heard anyone say anything about the pickups being much different in sound. Given all that, I think it comes down to: which one do you think is cooler?

a-37 likes this.
  14. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    So yeah, you are kind of pointing me at the same direction Papuzzo was... Get both ;)

Thank you also for confirming I had not missed something major in all the gen2 era pages of this thread!

15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Not at all... I was saying if you're going to get one, pick the one you think is cooler because they are both going to behave in a very similar way on all accounts. Except the ash ones are definitely heavier.

Of course, two is ALWAYS cooler. :bassist::bassist:

16. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    Oh yes, that sounds like a plan now. Only my problem so far was I could not decide which one was cooler and therefore both seems like the obvious solution... Come to think of it I actually came back to looking for a new Sire when I remembered they had a nice red one but I did not like the white pick guard so I sort of decided the mahogany one counts as red and was real pretty but so's the V7 Tobacco burst so I'm now desperately trying to aim for just one not two or three...

Anyway, I'll let it simmer for a bit now, thanks all! :)

17. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I believe you are now a fully fledged member of TalkBass!!! :hyper:

My work here is done.

a-37 and bholder like this.
  18. I think my new bass is arriving today woo! Ordered a 5-string V7 Gen 2 in swamp ash with the tobacco sunburst. I can't wait! I've had the same bass, which I love, for the last 15 years, so this will be a major shift for me.

As usual, Andertons (which is down the road from me) was a lot more expensive than Thomann. They do price match, so I would have been able to do that but they have a 2 month lead time on these, so I ended up ordering from Thomann.

Pretty bloody excited.

mmbass21 and downunder like this.
  19. It's here! And it's very sexy. Arrived in tune as well.

Unfortunately there are a couple of minor issues with it. I've contacted Thomann. I think I can live with them so I'm hoping just to get some money back, but we'll see.

IMG_1901.JPEG IMG_1900.JPEG

dmctiernan77 and mmbass21 like this.
  20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Why not get a replacement ?