1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

32 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

171 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

163 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

85 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

121 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Black/ Alder

103 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. M7

83 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

241 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    What is the bass you've had all these years?

2. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Well
    I am officially a Sire owner,well kinda since it hasn’t arrived yet but...I bought it.
    Decided to go for the M7, can’t wait!!!

Brynjar Pihl, Machiavelli and jjk2007 like this.
  3. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Awesome! Make sure when it arrives you post pics!

DGbass70 likes this.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Because you know the first rule of TalkBass: no pics, no bass.

DGbass70 likes this.
  5. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Try it, but it seems unlikely to me that Thomann will offer a price reduction. I guess it will be easier just to return it and get a new one. Does Thomann also offer free transport to the UK ?

6. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    On the other hand they'd have to list the returned item as B-stock with slightly reduced price after some costs involved in the return process so they just might make it easier for both parties and give a small refund to the original buyer if he is happy with that solution.

7. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I just played my first gig with my new P7 4 string last night and was very impressed. This was at a pretty large club in Hampton Beach, NH, with a very good FOH sound system. I was playing through a Mesa Boogie Subway D-800 into a Subway 1x15 cabinet. Amp was set pretty much flat with the input gain set around 1:30-2 o’clock going from the P7 into a Keeley Bassist set with fairy light compression and a bit of boost. I think the best feature on the P7 is definitely the mid sweep and mid boost/cut controls. I had the mids boosted slightly and the sweep knob favoring the low mids. Wow! What a gnarly, aggressive tone. And when I put the balance slightly towards the P pick up it got even more aggressive! Loved it! Just saw a FOH recording from a small go pro camera that confirmed how well it cut through the mix! Very happy with my purchase.

8. Because I’ll have to package up and return the one I’ve got. It’ll have to go back to Germany, they’ll assess it etc, and it’ll be weeks before I have anything. And anyway, I’ve already bonded with this one.

An MIM Fender P Bass. My father bought it for me when I was 15 or 16. This new bass is a 30th birthday present mainly from my lovely wife.

Exactly. It’ll be a pain for them to accept a return etc. Much cheaper for them just to give me a little money back or some credit. I’d be good with that. However, if they’re not going to offer either of those things I’ll send it back as soon as they send me a new one.

9. Also

2AA2DB30-E291-4665-9C8C-6C0F581E7310.

Attached Files:

eli likes this.
  10. Tom Magri

Tom Magri Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Is there a drop in bridge available for the 2nd generation Sire V7 4 string that does not require any modifications? I’d like a bridge similar to what is on the Fender American Professional series.

11. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    I received a partial refund from Thomann once, it was because of tiny scratch that I had difficulty to take a picture, but they gave me 50 rules back, for a bass the cost 170 euros...
    So yes they can give partial refund. But it probably depends on their benefit karting (sorry for my bad English)

12. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Not yet,you will have to drill new holes for mounting and the string through holes may not line up either.

13. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    I think a brief FAQ post will be helpful in this thread:

* Knobs are 6mm shafts, 8mm for the outer shafts on the concentric knobs
    * Sire does NOT sell any parts
    * There are no direct fit replacement tuners; Hipshot made some for the v1 then discontinued them
    * There are no direct fit bridges
    * The Dunlop straplocks fit just fine, you may need to shim the hole with a toothpick
    * The major differences between v1 and v2 are rolled edges on the fretboard, fretboard radius, using a satin finish on the neck instead of a gloss finish, and replacement of the plastic battery compartment cover to a wood cover
    * The stock strings on the fretted basses are D'Addario XL light (the fuchsia package); I am not 100% positive what comes on fretless models, but it is definitely a flatwound, I *think* it is D'Addario Chromes
    * The major differences between the V3 and M2 and the V7 and M7 are mahogany body vs. alder/ash, use of dots instead of blocks on the V7/nicer dots on M7, and pickups; M2 vs M7, the M7 has a lot more tone shaping possibilities with the ability to put each pickup in single or humbucker mode and select serial/parallel

Anything else I need to add or correct here?

J.Ja

14. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Great information here, thanks. When I received my P7 I noticed that it was strung through the bridge and not the rear. I’m wondering if these strings are long enough to string through the back? I like the feel of them but would like to use the string through option when I replace them. Thanks.

15. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    I know that if you purchase that size string it will run through body just fine (I put the NY XL's on my P7 v1 4 string and ran through the body just fine). Whether or not the folks in the Sire factory left you enough room for that depends on who strung it I guess, and of course it's up to you if you are OK with having string that used to be wrapped around the tuner now being between the nut and the tuner and maybe even past the nut to the fretboard, depending on the string position... I don't know if that will impact the sound or strength, definitely not my area of knowledge.

Also note that if you go flatwounds, due to the bend angle bridge-side, it is NOT recommended that you string through body.

J.Ja

16. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks Jm, I meant when I replace them. Yes, I knew that about flat wounds. Thanks again for the info.

jmjames likes this.
  17. Nice compilation. One other difference between v1 and v2 in the V7 and P7 is the pickups.

18. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    Thanks! I thought about mentioning that, but from what I can tell no one really hears the difference? So they may be a new design, but if folks can't hear it (I can't) I am not sure if it's worth mentioning.

J.Ja

19. One issue I encountered with the 5 string P7 is the the B string doesn’t fit through the bridge, at least not for the 45-125 set of DR Fat Beams. I string top 4 strings through the bridge and put the B through the body. I suppose I could drill out the B string hole.

20. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    On the Dunlop flats I put onto my P7, I had to strip the silk off the B & E strings to get it through the bridge.

J.Ja