1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

32 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

171 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

163 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

85 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

121 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Black/ Alder

103 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. M7

83 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

241 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I’ve got a v1 P7 4 string and a v2 P7 5 string. I can hear a difference between the two, but it could be a host of other contributing factors.

2. I can see how that might help. Although, Fat Beams don’t have any silk to remove. It’s the last bit near the ball end that’s too thick.

mexicant likes this.
  3. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    Yeah, I have a P7 v1 4 and a P7 v1 5, and there was a *slight* difference I could hear between the two when they both had the stock strings.

My deep suspicion is that stuff like what slab of wood you got, how much the worker had to drink the night before yours got built, and a zillion other little factors contribute much more to the differences than the v1 vs. v2 pickups. I just haven't seen in here anyone posting up big "wow, I'm noticing a difference!" stuff. That said... that's not a bad thing. It isn't like more than a small handful of people didn't like the v1 sound. :)

J.Ja

4. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    NBD! Happy to say after having it a couple of days I'm loving my V7 2nd gen so far. The preamp and eq flexibility is excellent along with a super comfy neck for me.

Fit and finish is pretty good, for the price it's excellent and the intonation is spot on out of the box straight from Sire. The neck pocket could've been better around the entire area, there's also a little discoloring of the neck binding by the bottom of the neck. The only other issue I found is near the nut on the binding it looks like some excess glue but it's smooth.

It's a fun bass to play, lots of good tones. 20191027_120513.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  5. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    image.

6. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    So it arrived, pic to prove it lol
    Love NBD,
    So far I like it ,might need some adjustments but I’ll wait until it adjust to the weather here.

7. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    I had to drill a bigger hole in the bridge of my p7 5 string for the B string, just standard size ernie balls.

8. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I'm just curious if people from the group know the approx. weight of their V7s? I weighed mine last night at 9.8lbs and was quite surprised it's so heavy. I know reading here and other places online the average I've found for V7 4 strings are 9-9.5lbs which is what I was hoping for with an alder body.

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I don't have a scale that will weigh below 100lb, so I don't know exactly. But I do know for sure the ash ones are heavier than the alder.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Are you asking about Gen1 or Gen2? I've owned a V7 4 string that weighed 10.4 pounds, and that's one reason that I sold it. I've owned mainly 5 string V7, VV& and P7 all Gen 1 that all ranged from 9.2 to 10.2 pounds. It's no necessarily true that all ASH weigh more than Alder, I can tell you that.

9.9 lbs is only 4.8 ounces more than what you hoped for. The main concern is how does it balance on a nice wide strap?

11. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I'm curious about this. I will admit that my data field is exactly one point -- my Gen 1 ash V7 is considerably heavier than my buddy's Gen 2 alder V7 (both 5-strings) -- but do/did you have an alder that is heavier than an ash?

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have an alder V7 that's the same weight as a similar (5er) ash-bodied V7 (both 10.4 pounds). FWIW. The density ranges overlap, though ash does tend heavier than alder.

13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    No, but I've had an alder and ash be about the same weight.

bholder likes this.
  14. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    I have a 1st gen V7 alder that is 10.3 lbs and a 2nd gen ash V7 5 string that weighs exactly 10 lbs.

jlepre likes this.
  15. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I'm asking in general, I just got a gen 2. I'll know after tonight's practice how it feels. While only 4.8oz more it's pushing my limit of nothing more than 10lbs. As it is my #1 bass is 7.83lbs so it's definitely a big difference for me and I did know this bass would be heavier.

Are the V10s in the same weight range?

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    My V10 5 is 9.4 pounds, but balances perfectly, with no neck or shoulder strain. I am weight sensitive too.

17. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    That is just dead sexy. I really like my black M2 a lot, but the M7... just another level. Congrats!

DGbass70 likes this.
  18. Get on scale with bass. Remember number. Step off, put away bass. Get on scale without bass. Calculate difference.

downunder likes this.
  19. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Our ****y digital scale weighs me 3-4 lb different every time. Accurate enough for health purposes but not to weigh something small using that trick.

downunder and Machiavelli like this.
  20. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    It's the same with Fender and all other bass makers, sometimes you get a light one and sometimes you get a boat anchor. My alder V7 4 string is my heaviest bass at 10.3 lbs but it sounds so good. Denser wood usually translates into more focused bottom end. Having a tight, focused bottom end is very useful in a live setting where everyone is fighting over the mid frequencies.