1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

32 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

171 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

163 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

85 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

121 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Black/ Alder

103 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. M7

83 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

241 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Step on the scale without the bass, then step on the scale with the bass... the difference is the weight of the bass :)

2. V10 + white edding = :thumbsup:
    CD0E1405-0FA4-41D3-A473-B80C9225190D.

3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Tell me what you did to make that happen? I had stickers that all came off after a few gigs.

4. upload_2019-11-5_17-48-14.

Machiavelli, jlepre and bholder like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, sorry the stickers didn't work out for you. I've never had that problem, but I don't wrap my thumb around that much I guess. I wonder if he changed the formulation for the new "easier to apply" version - might be "easier to apply" is also "easier to accidentally peel". :(

That paint stick looks like the way to go, just don't drink too much coffee first! :D

flashgod likes this.
  6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I ordered one of these as they were more readily available. I'll have it tomorrow.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Marking-Paint-MParker-37206/dp/B00MKUMFWO
    [​IMG]

flashgod likes this.
  7. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    We had a ‘cold’ night here in Austin back on Halloween. We had a gig that night so I decided to bust out the Sire. It’s always a fun bass to play........even after owning it for almost 5 years now. I set my phone on my bass amp and recorded but all the low end made it rattle around so the video is pretty sorry. We also struggled as we were outside and the temps were getting pretty close to freezing around the time I took this. The ole strings felt like barbed wire! :D I used my DNA head through a buddy’s Carvin 4X10. I actually played the bass passive and ran through my Sadowsky preamp pedal. Sounded pretty good! I’m digging all the 2nd gen basses but if I were to get another Sire it would be the black M7 5.

mmbass21, mexicant and bholder like this.
  8. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    NBD-Well, I love the V7 2nd gen so much that I couldn't pass up a used V9 1st gen at GC for a really solid price. Can't believe this was at my local GC. They had it incorrectly labeled with an alder body making it much cheaper then they probably should have. Plays fantastic and definitely sounds different than the V7 so I'm super happy with this find! All it needs is new strings which I made them throw in a set.

Now if a used V10 pops up I'm in trouble... 20191106_123222. 20191106_123232.

9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    flashgod likes this.
  10. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Not sure if anyone cares, but a recent gig recording was a bit botched and my bass is the most present in the mix. I figured this was a chance to showcase the versatility of the V7 2nd Gen. I don't claim that my band is good or my playing is impressive....bc it isnt. What I'd like to share is how this bass can do it all!

Signal - 2nd Gen V7 into Sansamp into Fender Rumble 800 head, DI to board. Headphones help if you listen. Thanks if you do.

Reboot Classic Rock - Passive, blend slightly to neck, passive tone 50%

90s Rock - Active, Bass and Treble slight boost

90's Hip Hop, Corny - Active, all settings flat

90s Rock - OD, SansAmp, flat eq on bass

90s Faux Reggae - active slight bass boost, treble slight cut, passive slight cut

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    TB24, gerrywarwick, AG42 and 2 others like this.
  11. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    Great playing and great sound! My band loves the sounds I get from my Sire basses, even the lowly M2. Whenever we practice or play live they continue to crank up my channel to around the volume of your mixes there. The problem is, I occasionally make horrible mistakes and at that volume EVERYONE notices it!

twc1313, bholder and Brynjar Pihl like this.
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Hey all my fellow V10 owners? I have a question for you all. Look at your side dot, and tell me what color you have. Mine are BLACK, but I found another V10 owner on the Sire Bass Owners Facebook page that has WHITE?
    20190819_173345.

13. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    Does anybody here use flatwound strings on their Sire V7? I am gonna change the strings soon, so I consider trying GHS Precision Flats. I tried few different sets already, mostly SS roundwound, so far i would choose Dr fat beams as the best sounding and really refusing to go dead. I play punk rock/indie rock/blues with my bands and this is my only bass, so i need versatility. As of late I refined my sound towards more "oldschoolish" and "bassy" direction. So i thought trying flats could be a nice move. Any thoughts?

14. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    V3 2nd Gen.
    Just opened.
    Very sorry to report this:

The bridge is attached with only four screws, and one of them - in the back on the E string side - has broken off, with the threads still in the body. Just a freak occurrence, I thought.

But the reason this happened is probably this, and this is a worse problem: the forearm contour extends so far down that the wood isn't flat under the bridge; unless the steel gets bent before or during installation, there's no way it can sit solidly, flush on wood. [Verified with straight edge, the wood isn't flat under the bridge. At that screw hole, the gap is about 1.5 playing cards in thickness.]

1. Pushing down on the bridge I do feel some flex (or is it just the thick finish getting squeezed under the steel?), so drilling out that mounting hole (or all four of them) and mounting the bridge with much bigger screws so they can be torqued down hard to make the bridge flex, would likely work.

2. Or I could return it for an exchange but I'd like to know if this problem is common to this model. If so, then it really needs a luthier. Gibson stop-tailpiece suggests itself. :-(

3. Try to return it for a refund? or for a different model that doesn't have this problem?

I'm sure Sire or distributor will probably make this right. I just have to choose 1, 2, or 3, or something else. What do you think? Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  15. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Because its neck feels like a million bucks and the fretboard roll is perfectly done, and because I'm infatuated with mahogany, and because its balance is so much better than my other J-type, I'M KEEPING IT. Just slightly depressing, but I'll fix it one way or another.

AG42 and Brynjar Pihl like this.
  16. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I have TI Jazz flats on my V7 fretless and like them a lot. This is from when they and the bass were brand new, four years ago:

Fialka likes this.
  17. I think the reacted on the customer feedback and put black dots on the 2nd batch. That’s the price you pay, when you are buying the first run.

mexicant likes this.
  18. nsw200

nsw200

Jan 2, 2018
    Oxford
    Just got a left handed V3 version 2 5-string in white, can I join the club?

I'd like to fit a fender hi mass bridge (I've got one on the fretless in this pic and it's fantastic) and possibly replace the tuners for both a quality upgrade and to sort a slight neck dive. Anyone who's done this and wants to share tips they'd be much appreciated - I don't want to spend hundreds on hipshot ultralites - saw some Sandberg modern style tuners on DV247.com for about £7 UK a pop and they say they're 46g each which seems incredible for the price!

Here's the Sire with my Vintage 'Jaco' fretless (with DiMarzio 123s and aforementioned Fender bridge) and USA Pro Precision - all with flats. IMG_20191101_165153.

19. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    I would still contact Sire, maybe they will pay your luthier directly for the repair.

20. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    I would try to exchange it. My 1st gen V7 was just about flawless when i received it, (even was in tune!)
    the issue you noted are the first Ive heard in this thread, and a replacement would, most likely, play as good as this one.

One Way and mmbass21 like this.