1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

What color/wood combination do you own?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2020.
  1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

17 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

173 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

165 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

85 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

243 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    look for someone local that has a 3-D printer.

2. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
  3. mromag

mromag

Apr 10, 2020
    do I have to remove the older one before ?
    or could be soldered over (like lobster do ?) ?

thanks

4. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    You don't need to remove the old cap before. The additional capacitance simply adds to the old one. If you precisely want the same total value as lobster used just add a 82nF cap instead of a 100nF.

5. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    Not the first time I see Victor Wooten playing a Sire V7. One has to ask why he chooses a V7 over his signature Fodera? And why isn't he at least playing an expensive, american Fender? Maybe because these V7 basses just sound awesome?

bholder, mexicant, vin088xk1 and 5 others like this.
  6. If it's not paid endorsement, it must be the best thing to happen to an instrument maker.

mb94952, groovin_bassman and mmbass21 like this.
  7. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    In all fairness, one still has to ask some basic logistics questions. How far is he from home? How'd he get there? What's the expected final product? The answer most likely being that he flew "common-carrier" from Nashville to New York for a televised jam session. Just like you wouldn't bring your very best instrument to play behind chicken wire at a biker bar, even well-traveled touring pros that know how to protect their valuable gear just don't risk it unless the payoff is proportional to that risk. It doesn't really matter who you are, a $15k instrument, your own signature model, doesn't go through what it'll go through between handing it to the ticket agent and sliding around the baggage carousel, unless there's something in it for you on the other end that makes dealing with the airline's lost luggage and your own insurer worth it.

Sire has built a very good reputation as one of the best "budget" basses you can buy. For most of us, that makes them very good competition to all the other budget basses we'd be considering. For guys like Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten, who can own and play any bass they want, Sire's bang-for-buck factor makes them more than good enough to do the job at the level they expect, while being expendable or even disposable. Not necessarily "throw it in the dumpster at the end of the night" disposable, but maybe "sign it and give it to a kid in the audience" disposable. Who knows whether that happened to this V7 or not, the point is Victor wouldn't be hurting nearly as much writing off this bass versus one of his Foderas.

bholder, gg22, Snibborwocky and 2 others like this.
  8. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

It seems to me that there is too much attention spent on who plays what and why. Maybe we're looking too deep into a topic that isn't a big deal.

If it feels and sounds good in your hands, that's it. Just one persons opinion.

We all love SIRE's , so why wouldn't Victor ? Just because you're rich and famous doesn't mean you pass a threshold where a common bass is no longer an option.

This topic was brought up the other day and it went over 15 pages, I think, so a lot of people have an opinion, and that's all it is.
    Intentional irony: A good bassist on an inexpensive bass

mexicant and Jamarvic like this.
  9. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Anybody know where to get replacement pickguards? Preferably ones that won’t require drilling. Specifically for a five-string P7.

10. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    +1. It's just odd to see paid endorsers using another brand and making it sound really, really good. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but these basses can easily hold their own against the high end basses. I have quite a few Sire basses and am officially GAS-free for 18 months!

11. Hey all! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for tone settings or pickup upgrades to help get my P7 5-string to sound more like an actual fender P-Bass.

Thank you!

mexicant likes this.
  12. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    I would start with the tone cap mod discussed earlier in the thread. "LowEndLobster" changes the .22uF cap for a 1uF cap (or something like that. I'm not terribly technically saavy.) You can find the video on Youtube if you search for "Low End Lobster Sire Tone". I'm making the mod tomorrow to my 5-string P7 with the help of a friend who knows how to solder. I'm changing the .22 to a .47, which is supposed to yield a more traditional P-bass tone. We'll see. If I'm not terribly happy after that, I might swap the pickups down the road for Nordstrand vintage pickups. 5-string P/J pickup set options are few and far between.

yakmastermax likes this.
  13. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    I run my p7 5 string passive with mostly front pickup,sounds very close to my american precision basses. Stock pickups. 20190824_123839.jpg

mb94952, One Way and lgrankin like this.
  14. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Me too !! For the first time in years, GAS-FREE !!!

15. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Well, it's good enough for Marcus Miller to play the V7 much more than he has to at his performances. Why should VV refuse? The Sire MM V7 is a jazz bass with excellent performance, even more so in its price range. I've had my V7 5str swamp ash (1st gen) since mid 2016 and still consider it one of my best purchases ever. Every time I pick it up, it has everything I expect from a jazz bass and more.

16. A/B'd a Fender Player Precision 4 string and my Sire P7 Alder at Guitar Center today. For the life of me I couldn't get my Sire to sound like the Precision. Maybe close, but it wasn't right.

Any suggestions?

mexicant likes this.
  17. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Buy the precision bass if that's what your after. I have a 4 and 5 string precision and my p7 gets most of the gigs. Better yet buy them both.

18. Unironically I would but a 5-string precision is like a $1500 bass, and I don't particularly want the thicker neck.

If I could get the right sound with a pickup upgrade in my Sire P7, that would still be like half the cost!

mexicant likes this.
  19. Unless it’s a recording session, I find it difficult to make the distinction between a real P and the P7. Still I’d like to have both for bedroom play.

mexicant likes this.
  20. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    My p7 has a really comfortable neck,I leave my $1500.00 fender bass at home and play my $500.00 sire most of the time, lol
    the added jazz pickup adds definition to the B string that my fender 5 lacks....... If the preamp ever dies in my p7 I'm just gonna wire it passive,that's my goto tone lately. Good luck on your tone journey.
    20210501_094719-1.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021