1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

What color/wood combination do you own?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2020.
  1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

17 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

173 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

165 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

85 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

243 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    I love . . . LOVE . . . the neck on my P7. It’s my favorite neck second only to my Lull P5, which costs four times as much. The Sire is smooth, and the rounded edges are a revelation. It’s so comfortable to play.

FunWithBass, mb94952 and mexicant like this.
  2. Yeah the neck on the Fender precision I was A/Bing with my Sire P7 did not feel very good! The sharp edges were extremely noticeable.

I really do like the Sire neck, and I like the ability to go active for some more tonal flexibility, but I also wish it could just do a real good P thump too.

3. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Maybe you can buy a loaded Fender P body on the 'Bay for around $300-$400 (or on TB classified, etc) and put your neck on it ? Then you can have the option of two bodies to switch the neck to. You'd might have to mod the body screws to those metal inserts so you can switch them countless times without worrying about stripping the wood.

4. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hey Sire friends…..I have this cover that came with my v5 5 string. Whoever wants it can PM me for details.

qGrx0TC.jpg

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Doesn't Fender sell loose the same pickups that are in the Fender you played in the A/B test? And the same strings?

6. They do but I think those pickups are specific to the string spacing of the Fender.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Might be the same as the Sire. Worth looking into. You could just take your P7 and a ruler back to the store to find out for sure. Measure the screw locations and the outer pickup dimensions while you're there.

8. Tom Magri

Tom Magri Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I have a Sire P7 and an American Professional Precision bass. I think the Sire covers the Fender Precision sound just fine. By the time you run either bass through your pedal board, amp, mixer & front of house speakers any tonal difference is going to be negligible. However, If you like to mod...then mod away.

9. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    If you want P Bass thump then you will need to put on a set of flatwounds, like GHS Precisions or LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass. A little active EQ tweak here or there and you might just find that your P7 thumps even more than a fender P bass.

Tom Magri, mb94952 and mmbass21 like this.
  10. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    The thump is definitely in the flats. I put some chromes in my P7 5-string, and it takes them really well. Very thumpy in passive mode with the tone rolled down. But it's still a bit too "modern," "brittle," "trebley" of a sound for me in the high end. I did the tone cap mod yesterday but haven't had a chance to put it back together to try it yet to see what a difference it made, if any. I hope to do that today. I'll report back, of course.

mb94952 and mmbass21 like this.
  11. rami401

rami401

Apr 24, 2014
    Texas
    Wanted to share a Sire repair.
    I bought this V7 2nd Gen as a blemished for 519. free shipping. Upon arrival did a complete visual inspection, not a single blem or dent, came with all hang tags and accessories. Plugged it in and at first was awesome, then crackling sound, do I have a bad cord? No, when I touch the input jack I lose sound. Try unplug, plug again sounds like short at input jack. At 1st I became PO'd. Do I return, or maybe I can fix problem. Opened the jack up and found problem pretty quick, the input jack is not the best. I saw that the hot connecter base clip was not staying anchored in the housing. Took a small needle nose and bent the catch clip out to engage the housing. FIXED. Probably original owner experienced the problem and gave it back. Here are some pics incase any others can learn from my experience.
    20210501_112518.jpg

Attached Files:

12. I hear you guys on the flats but the Fender P Bass I was A/Bing with the other day didn't have flats, and when I owned my own P Bass I never used flats because I was playing more hard rock.

Maybe I'm just bad at EQing my setup! Can anyone post their knob settings they use for a P bass sound on their Sire?

I guess to my ear the P bass had more of a mid low attack that the sire lacked.
    Also P basses have always had a sort of "bow" sound that reminds me of an actual acoustic instrument that my Sire definitely isn't producing. I worry that "bow" sound is higher frequency content enabled by the lighter or stiffer body that the Fender has compared to my Sire.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like my Sire. I just wish it could also be a legit P bass too!

I'm looking forward to your findings!

13. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi yakmastermax,

The first thing is the cap change. That is going to get you closer and then go with the Nordstrand pickup. That will do the trick.

All the best,

Bob

yakmastermax likes this.
  14. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    Maybe we should stop thinking of the P7 as a direct competitor to the Fender P Bass and realize that it is an entirely different instrument. While the P Bass does one thing well, the P7 is much more versatile and does many things well. The P bass is passive, while the P7 can be passive or active when needed. So, if you flip this around, the P Bass will never get all the great sounds a P7 can make.

Then there's the benefit of the J style neck over the P neck.......

mb94952, mexicant and mmbass21 like this.
  15. OldShark

OldShark

Apr 18, 2021
    If you want an actual Sire P bass, just wait for the upcoming P5... Fat neck, only one PU and passive...

EricTheFish likes this.
  16. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Yes, this ^. The P7 is not a vintage P-bass. It's P-bass-ish, but can do a lot more. If you want a true P-bass sound, buy a P-bass.

mb94952, mexicant and mmbass21 like this.
  17. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    +1 on the nordies. I have a 5 string P-J set in my P10 paired with a John East Uni 5.... it's just wonderful. Stock P10 was nothing special electronically, and putting the stock pickups with the John East just wasn't giving me the flavor I wanted. Bass feels great, but the tone wasn't there yet. Tried making my own hybrid Aguilar P pickup out of a 4 string and 5 string P pickup, but the results weren't really what I wanted either. The Nordy is where it's AT!

18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Wow - that drummer has "the touch". Always impressed by drummers who can play "not loud".

As for Victor, he plays whatever he wants, so it sure says something about Sire. ;)

19. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Just hit the solo - yeah, dang, he makes that Sire sound good! :)

mb94952 and oldandbold like this.
  20. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Update on the tone cap swap:
    Well, I finally had the chance to put the bass back together tonight. I swapped the stock cap for a .47 “oil in paper,” or something like that, and was looking forward to some sultry tones emanating from the P7. But . . . now no sound is coming out of the bass at all, lol. I think we did something wrong. Or maybe something became disconnected in the process. I’ll have to open her back up again and check some other time.

yakmastermax likes this.
  21. groovin_bassman

groovin_bassman Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Franklin, Ohio
    I had the opportunity to get my first Sire V7 back! I really missed this one! Ordered some Sadowsky style aluminum knobs and a Gotoh bridge and the new bridge really makes the bass sing in a way it didn’t before! Man, I love this bass!

Attached Files:

mb94952, TheBass, mmbass21 and 5 others like this.
  22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021