1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

What color/wood combination do you own?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2020.
  1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

17 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

173 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

165 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

85 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

243 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Classy.

groovin_bassman likes this.
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Home sweet home!!!

groovin_bassman likes this.
  3. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Are there any tricks to combating neck dive on a P7?

4. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Leather strap with unfinished back. I prefer leather straps with a natural unfinished (rough not smooth) back, I like the friction that minimizes or prevents neck dive. I avoid smooth nylon web straps that slide along my shirt.
    This works for me. I’ll bet 50% of the players out there prefer a strap that doesn’t grip their shirt.

Jarrett likes this.
  5. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    This is a double-edged sword -- rough back works OK when the shirt is buttoned up or otherwise well-fitted. But boy, when you have a t-shirt and an unbuttoned camp shirt...

6. Ben Janusch

Ben Janusch Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2020
    Arizona
    Posted in the M7 club, but not here... my new M7 6. Topical, I have a leather strap that I've found combats neck dive nicely on most bases. M7 very nicely balanced though.

PXL_20210429_190556336.jpg

7. Can you recommend which capacitor to go with? I also would like to leave room in the future to change the pickups as well.

Thanks!

8. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I used .047uFd on two of my Sires and am very happy with results. They are a V7 nd a V3 so not P-style. But the .047 is an old Fender standard so IMHO that should get you closest to an old Fender.

yakmastermax likes this.
  9. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Thanks, that solved it.

One Way likes this.
  10. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Get a 27nF and solder it parallel to the existing 22nF. That totals to 49nF and gets you very close to the 47nF which 7ender normally uses.

yakmastermax and mb94952 like this.
  11. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I didn't know they worked like that. Good to know that adding the values equals the sum total in resistance. Makes sense, but good to know !

12. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    With resistance (measured in Ohm) it does not work like this. Capacitors are specified by their capacitance, measured in Farad (F).

generalduncan and OldShark like this.
  13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, resistors and capacitors work opposite in parallel - with resistors, adding another in parallel decreases resistance, but with capacitors in parallel, adding another increases capacitance. Funny how that works, but kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  14. mb94952

Oh, OK, I don't know that stuff, even though I had to memorize the color code for two soldering jobs in the 80's and 90's, but I never learned WHAT they do.

15. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    For those following my saga, Lobster helped me to confirm that during the tone cap swap process at some point, a wire became disconnected from my output jack. Hence the no signal. So a different friend is going to help me solder that back together tomorrow night, and then I'll hopefully finally be able to hear the .47 tone cap, and will of course report back.

. . . And then I'm going to learn how to solder for myself.

mb94952, EricTheFish and bholder like this.
  16. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    A VERY handy skill. I suck at it myself.

17. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Especially since I will likely swap the pickups at some point too, I might as well learn. I’ve been playing for 30+ years and never bothered to learn how to fix my own stuff (at least not to solder).

bholder likes this.
  18. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Definitely a few things to be known. Start with your buddy who did the work, and check some youtubes -- bound to be a million of 'em.

19. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Yeah, my buddy who did the tone swap talked me through what he was doing. It didn't look terribly complicated. But I'm sure it's like anything else. There's a right and wrong way to do it, and having the right tool(s) for the job will help. He had a ton of practice. He and his dad are always making things. Like, they made their own battery packs for things and strings of led lights, etc.

EricTheFish likes this.
  20. mb94952

Soldering is VERY easy. You'll pick it up quickly. Just heat the surface with the iron first for a tiny bit, then feed it solder. Simple as that. Buy the solder with flux in it, which most solder rolls have, anyway.

Also, buy a solder sucker. It looks like a big pen. It's soldering in reverse to remove / redo solder joints.

Also, get a good soldering iron, like a Weller.

FunWithBass and jacoby75 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021