Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

What color/wood combination do you own?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2020.
  1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

17 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

173 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

165 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

85 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

243 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vin088xk1

vin088xk1

Feb 24, 2011
    florida
    Sorry, was running out the door, yes 3 tone sunburst.

2. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Who wants more Sire mods!? This was a suhweeet build. Required a little bit of modding in the pickup cavity (had to widen very slightly), but the end result is superb! I have a more in depth video on this build coming, but this sounds too good not to share:

Parts used:

EMG 45 TWX pickups (with included push pulls)
    EMG BQC System preamp
    EMG 2 way switch setup as a 'kill switch'

Controls are Volume, Tone, Blend, Mid/Mid Freq, Bass/Treb

This mod was in the similar vein of Project Code Red, my latest modified SBMM Ray4HH SUB featuring two EMG MMTW pickups w/ push pulls, a 3 way EMG Tele switch, and a BTC preamp.

3. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    @LowEndLobster Sounds great! I have an M2 (second bass I ever bought) and while I love the weight and the neck and the preamp, the pickups are... unexciting. The M5 sounds much better, and I'm sure it's the pickups. I'd have been very interested to hear this mod with just the pickups replaced, since I think that's where the real problem is.

4. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Thank you! You're 100% correct from what I can tell. The pickups are what really make the difference. The preamp, though not amazing in my opinion, doesn't really negatively impact the tone - and paired with a nice set of pickups like in the M5 will sound quite nice. I was super bummed that it wasn't a complete drop in replacement and I had to modify the pickup cavity slightly, but at the end of the day I'm happy with the result and I think Bully will be too :)

Carlos Azevedo and EricTheFish like this.
  5. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA

One more Sire vid for you guys. Swapped out the stock preamp with the John East Uni 5 knob (stock pickups in this vid) and WOW!

6. EricTheFish

EricTheFish

Jan 9, 2015
    I did the swap on mine. I did not have a PCB for the tone / volume control. It was closer to a traditional setup, where the cap was just soldered on the pot. So the swap was easier, I just cut of the old one and soldered on the new one in place. It sounds great. Actually it wasn`t a HUGE difference, but definitely noticeable.
    Thanks for the tips.

Also, Lobster, thank you for the video and the inspiration!

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    You must have an all-passive V5, no? Otherwise I'm REALLY curious to see a pic of the back of the control plate!

Andyman001 likes this.
  8. EricTheFish

EricTheFish

Jan 9, 2015
    Nope, I have a P7 (2nd gen. Alder.) I forgot to take a pick, but will do next time. The volume / tone pot was a separate entity, and was not connected to the pickup dial with a PCB board.

9. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Wow, first I'd heard of that!

10. EricTheFish

EricTheFish

Jan 9, 2015
    I`ll try to find time to take it off again tomorrow, and post a pic.

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Hi, folks. I'm looking for the thread concerning replacement knobs for Sire basses (I did a search.)

12. LL-Toolbox

LL-Toolbox

Jul 24, 2017
    This is the best post I've read on the topic.

13. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    100% agreed, my p7 is the best sounding, most comfortable, easiest to play bass I own! Although I still love my american precision basses. Oh,and the fretboard blocks are gorgeous. 20190824_123839.jpg

14. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

100% ^^ on both posts above.

15. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Did you make that pickguard? I really want a white pearl 3-ply pickguard for my P7.

mexicant likes this.
  16. groovin_bassman

groovin_bassman Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Franklin, Ohio
    I got my Sadowsky style knobs (black aluminum) from Best Bass Gear. I think they looks awesome!

Attached Files:

mb94952 and rami401 like this.
  17. EricTheFish

EricTheFish

Jan 9, 2015
    Here is the system: IMG_20210516_134531.jpg IMG_20210516_134557.jpg

18. EricTheFish

EricTheFish

Jan 9, 2015
    As for the P7 vs. Precision Bass discussion:

The P7 is much more versatile because of the preamp (and the extra J pickup). These mods I (we) did get the passive sound of the P7 much closer to that of a Precision bass. So now I can have THAT p-bass sound, but also switch on the preamp and get whatever sound I need.

I also switched the necks between my P7 and Fender Jazz. The P7 neck is a great J-bass neck, and that paired with a Fender body and electronics, makes for an awesome, classic J-bass.

The P7 body with a Fender jazz bass neck enabled me to put in a Precision nut, so the string-spacing is now that of P-bass. Since my playing style is that of Sean Hurley (Not playing level, playing style :) ), the closeness of the E and G string to the side of the fretboard is not an issue, I don`t really dig in hard.

To re-cap (pun intended): With the new cap, now I can have that classical P-bass feel and sound, and still have a very versatile instrument, if any other sounds are needed.

mb94952, yakmastermax and mexicant like this.
  19. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
  20. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I would love to see under the hoods of some other recent Sires. Looks like they've standardized the preamp so it's all one piece and the knobs can go wherever the holes get drilled. Unless that is an *old* preamp and perhaps the manufacturing engineers went the other way (with a few different packages for different models) for assembly speed.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021