Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

What color/wood combination do you own?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2020.
  1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

17 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

173 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

165 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

85 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

243 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I wouldn't say my early 1st gen tuners are "bad", they're perfectly serviceable, though yes, a tad loose, could be tighter. But yes, there was room for improvement. I'd say the G1 tuners were on par quality-wise with my MIM Fender J. Not bad, just not great.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    So anyway I just called to order U5 and they’re already out of stock! They were in stock this morning.
    So I reserved one in natural with the flame top for a stupid deal

Rob1957, One Way and bholder like this.
  3. NBD!! P7.
    Very pleased! The look, the feel, the balance, better than expected. In tune out of the box. Had a quick test drive and lovin' the variation in tone...can't wait to try it out at rehearsal.

Little disappointed that the volume doesn't match up to my SRX, but then again she has these really powerful PFR pups. I'll check the battery, but the vol was the same in both active and passive.

Was there someone handing out numbers in this club...??

20211124_153021.jpg 20211124_153231.jpg

4. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Congrats!
    The pickups are not hot, you can adjust the preamp amp output the on pc board. My P7 passive/active volume is the same, when the eq is flat.

One Way and bholder like this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I like mine set so that the active side has just enough edge to tell which is which. ;)

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I do like the new knobs they're using now. Very nice looking!

KCBass434 likes this.
  7. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    I'm so tempted to try one of those cute little suckers. I'm just not sure when/if I'd actually play it in the real world, other than bedroom jamming, since I'm primarily a 5-string guy these days. But it sounds great in the 2-3 videos I've heard so far.

Lesfunk likes this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I was so impressed by the V3 that I’m going for the shorty too.
    I actually have a practical use for it as I do a lot of traveling via air and the airlines seem to be more tolerant of a smaller instrument to carry on.
    I had good luck doing so with my stingray shorty but I let that one go

jacoby75 and rogerbmiller like this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I have 5 Sires already, but all Gen 1, I'm very sorely tempted to order a D5 to try out the Gen 2 neck.

djasterix likes this.
  10. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    You won’t be disappointed in the Gen 2 neck I think bholder.
    Both my Sires are Gen 2 with the rolled fretboard edges and they feel great.
    My main bass for decades was a 1959 Pbass so of course I want that to get my hands on a P5 or D5 to see Sires take on the classic Pbass

11. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Well ... look at the average hourly rate in Indonesia and you'll know.

12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Well, and CNC machines don't get paid no matter where they live. :) (Yes, some craftsmen are surely involved, but all the "heavy lifting" is done by CNC, I'm certain.)

13. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I find the necks on my Gen 1 and Gen 2 feel the same, although the gen 2 has a flatter radius. Personally, I like the no tool needed battery box on the gen 1, but I've seen people mod lost Peavey rear 9v covers on the back in the center bottom of the body, so that's not a big deal.
    Also, strangely enough I find the 7.5" radius (on the 4 string) to be a little more comfy than the 9.5" radius on the gen 2 because my preference is 10" and 12" radius, so go figure.
    The SIRE is just an AWESOME bass. It does everything right and better than most.

EricTheFish and Rob1957 like this.
  14. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Good point. However sometimes the manufacturing process involves more manual operations when moved from high cost countries to low cost countries, resulting in lower automation grade in low cost countries. At least this is common in the automotive business where I'm coming from. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to relocate manufacturing to LCCs.

15. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    I am certain Sire didn’t move from a high cost manufacturing location to a low cost manufacturing location. I am fairly certain that Sire as always had a manufacturing facility in Indonesia. Their headquarters are in California but no manufacturing is done in California.

16. Jv-d

Jv-d

Feb 28, 2021
    Vermont
    Lobster... Or Clawman for short ;)
    Sire does great things with the "ASH"... The grain on this M5 really pops... Really does make it fun to play, seeing it as I pick it up, really makes me smile, then I play and my smile gets bigger! BB418A7B-8A04-4A6C-B5BD-17734C462E2B.jpg
    BEA5C77C-F697-4431-B842-7B6A2E4F5149.jpg
    I believe Sire was started by a Korean, who wanted to bring boutique features/quality to players at a reasonable price point... And the manufacturing began in Korea, South Korea of course...
    So, why the move in manufacturing to Indonesia............???????

bholder, djasterix and LowEndLobster like this.
  17. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

SO Sire is the "Korean Peavey" the Beast from the East :) That was Hartley's mission, too.

LowEndLobster likes this.
  18. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    ‘I believe Sire was started by a Korean, who wanted to bring boutique features/quality to players at a reasonable price point... And the manufacturing began in Korea, South Korea of course...
    So, why the move in manufacturing to Indonesia............???????[/QUOTE]
    There are two companies started by the same three people who are in charge of Sire. The first was ‘Dame’, which had its manufacturing facility based in South Korea. The other and later company is ‘Sire’,which has always had its manufacturing facility based in Indonesia.

All this information is available on the internet.

bholder, generalduncan and OldShark like this.
  19. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Indeed, Kyle has become a dear friend during the pandemic. I hope to sit down with him in person to hear the whole story of Sire

ricibanez, bholder, Jv-d and 3 others like this.
  20. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    I would look forward to that interview Lobster!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021