1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire M5 vs. M7?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gg69, Nov 24, 2020.

1. M5

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. M7 for extra EUR 100

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. gg69

gg69

May 17, 2005
    According to their website, the differences are only type of wood and paint job. Same specs, otherwise.
    The headstock on the M7 matches the body, whereas it's black on the M5.
    Would you pay extra USD ~150 to upgrade from the M5 to the M7?

Thoughts?

M5:

m5_nt.png
    Sire Marcus Miller M5

M7 (cheaper variation):

m7alder_brb_1.png
    Sire Marcus Miller M7 2nd Generation | Alder

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have the M7 (fretless 5) but that was before the M5 existed. Today I might go for the M5 instead, though I'm a sucker for a pretty bass...

gg69 likes this.
  3. gg69

gg69

May 17, 2005
    Thanks for the reply! Besides the price, the more I look at them, the more I favor the M5, aesthetically.
    I'm looking for a more "classic" look with this purchase, but the black headstock gives a nice "metal" hint.

bholder likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Too bad they're not offering the M5 in the trans black finish - that'd look great with the headstock!

5. gg69

gg69

May 17, 2005
    Agreed!

I almost bought the black M2. I'm a metalhead and have only 5-stringers because of my bands. I am looking now to buy a bass to groove, hence the 4 strings and the "classic" look (and more tone versatility with the parallel/series/split switches).

The black one is too "metal", but I'm planning to get the black 5-string M2 in the future. The M2 is more than enough for metal because with distortion I use only the bridge pickup. Or maybe if I have the cash and the courage, I'll take the black M7 because it's simply gorgeous. Hopefully they'll release a black M5 until then! =]

bholder likes this.
  6. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The M7 is actually the pricier one, with a fancy top, and other wood appointments...truss cover, battery cover, etc. The M5 has no top, but has a feature that attracted my attention, if which is a 5-piece neck. I'd go the M5 route any day, for the added neck stability and less chance of dead spots. I've never realky had great luck with one-piece necks (M7 has a one-piece).

bassclef04, Ricky Rioli and gg69 like this.
  7. gg69

gg69

May 17, 2005
    Well observed!!

songwriter21 likes this.
  8. JvJazz83

JvJazz83

Aug 6, 2017
    Norway
    According to the link in the first post, the M7, 2nd generation also has a 5-piece neck...
    I think I could manage with an M5, though. I kind of like the trans blue (green).

gg69 likes this.
  9. I think Sire made an unusual choice in making the M5 equal in overall quality to the M7. I paid 550 shipped for a brand new M5, and now that I know what my 550 got, I have a hard time paying more for the same quality bass with different visuals. I am actually on the market for a 6 string, but find the almost 1,200 price tag on the M7 6 stringer a bit ridiculous in comparison to my M5. That's an upcharge of 325 per string for basically the same bass. Plus I'd still be stuck with the things I don't like about my M5 (cheap feeling tuners that cant hold a pitch and loose feeling control knobs). I think the responsibility at this point is on sire to find a way to either improve their M7 with higher quality components or make it less expensive.

gg69 likes this.
  10. I had no idea the M7 has a 1-piece neck (the site never shows the rear of the bass...) but M5 would also win for me for the neck construction. The Natural M5 looks awesome.

gg69 and Wfrance3 like this.
  11. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I looked at the specs again, and I guess the M7 does actually have the 5-piece neck, too. The pics don't show it, though...probably need to update their site more.

12. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I like m5 finish better and it is V string, too, so i would choose m5. Finally i wouldn't take nor of them, because never played nor of them.

gg69 likes this.
  13. JP Poulin

JP Poulin

Dec 17, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    After trying both I went with the M7 Alder body. It has the tone and feel I want and like. My neck is single piece and came with the Aluminum tone controls. Nothing wrong with the M5's.
    I have to admit it's one of the nicest bass I've ever owned.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    gg69 likes this.
  14. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    When did you order? Every time I've been to the USA site nothing is ever in stock.

I'm deliriously happy with the 5er I bought instead. But I really wanted to try a Sire.

15. gg69

gg69

May 17, 2005
    I ordered mine a day after I started the thread. I live in Berlin and the bass came from a shop in Slovakia, if I'm not mistaken.

16. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    Ahhh ... understood.

gg69 likes this.
  17. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    I’d do the M7 2nd Gen, but I’d have no issue with the M5.

Cheap knobs? Use them til they self-destruct, then replace with better knobs. But I’d wager that would be some years down the line.

gg69 likes this.
  18. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I got the M5 five string, great deal and well appointed. Knobs are fine, tuners work like they should. Plays awesome.
    I also didn’t see the point in paying so much extra just for a different top

877593F3-3659-48C5-9FEF-4D105FF4EEF0.jpeg CD0A38B8-146E-468F-ABFA-1B5789AEDF97.jpeg 7220DE6D-222C-4B0E-9B11-D90F64BAB947.jpeg 1B047BE0-2EC1-4FF1-A14E-D667E9D425CC.jpeg

gg69 and bholder like this.
  19. gg69

gg69

May 17, 2005
  20. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Thank you, I got it from CME, they had a couple in stock when sire didn’t. My Google fu came in handy

gg69 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021