Sire M5 vs. M7?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gg69, Nov 24, 2020.

1. M5

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. M7 for extra EUR 100

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    It's $200 extra here for the M7, I couldn't see paying that much more just for the top. I love the blue/green and black headstock of my M5

gg69 and bholder like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I love my 1st gen M7, but if I were shopping today, it'd be a tough choice...

gg69 and redstrand like this.
  3. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Wifey gave me the go ahead on the M5, it was an easy choice:thumbsup:
    She knew I was already at my self imposed limit but she had a custom strap made for me to match the one I made to honor Dad, she said "you should get a new bass"...can't argue with logic like that

Jv-d, bholder, Phlipper and 1 other person like this.
  4. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    No carrots, no vote!

5. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Would maple top on M7 make any tonal difference in comparison with M5 without top, e.g. better resonance or more clarity of the sound?

6. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    I have an M5 unboxing coming next week and a 'let's look at the 15 different pickup combos' vid coming after that (and a full review too). I haven't played an M7, but I have played a couple of M2s. The M5 RULES. Great pickups, awesome build quality and feel, and the hardware is solid (which isn't always the case with Sire). My only gripes are still with the preamp and lackluster passive tone control (easy fix!). The '5' series of Sires IMO is absolutely killing it. Very focused, and hitting many of the right buttons for me.

tindrum, Jv-d, gg69 and 2 others like this.
  7. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Is your tone fix the cap added thing I’ve seen posted? I agree the M5 is a killer bass, once my new neck gets to me I’ll be happy again.

8. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Yup! Though I removed the original one, you can just add an additional one and keep the original one too. Congrats and I hope the neck stuff gets sorted quickly and painlessly.

9. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    So far the shop has been on top of it and is facilitating the new one. Cool, I'll have to do that mod. It still plays great, just a matter of time before the neck will fail. Big thing I have to do is not go directly from my Acinonyx to the M5...lol...I can't fret to save my life for about 8 bars or so

LowEndLobster likes this.
  10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    The only thing the M7 has over the M5 is purely the cosmetics. Love mine, but if I were buying now, it'd be an M5.

gg69 and redstrand like this.
  11. Jv-d

Jv-d

Feb 28, 2021
    Vermont
    Lobster where in Northern Mass --Eastern or Western?
    I've had the M5 for almost 2 weeks -- diggin' it!!
    Playing the crap out of it...
    Haven't really done any playing in passive mode... But, then again, I wanted an active bass again... Haven't had one in almost 30 yrs... Have a couple of Rics, n Fender, B2 n others, but wanted something different... An instrument w different sound scapes... Man, I think I found it here with the M5 (purchased from a TB brother)... Plays well, might need a little set up tweaking at some point before giging but its fine so far... Seems to stay in tune, even with this crazy weather as of late, which I'm sure you've been getting to in Mass also...

The tuners don't seem to be an issue, as I read in here, and the knobs are aluminium-- solid--and pots smooth...
    Was looking for that humbuck punch n growl... Found it...
    Love the sound that I've found... Been playing along to Stones out of respect to Charlie... So, tone fits in with Wyman's "Waiting on a Friend" and "knockin" round bass sound as well as Geddy's YYZ punch... VERSATILITY!!!

And elegance in there as well, the grain of the clear swamp ash finish really pops (pics don't do the grain justice)... And I read in here somewhere, that there was some whining about the head stock... Well, I hope they have some cheese for that whine, because I think the design of the headstock is great!!
    If Sire keeps up their quality especially at this price point, they ate going to be capturing more more of the market...
    All I can say is more power to them, and I'm glad I got my first one now!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    tindrum, LowEndLobster and gg69 like this.
  12. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    The M5 has 18mm string spacing at the bridge, correct?

13. Jv-d

Jv-d

Feb 28, 2021
    Vermont
    M5 has a 5 ply neck W ebony fretboard vs m7 having just a single piece of maple w rose wood -- if I remember correctly
    At least my m5 has a 5 ply laminate neck!
    And I was never big on swamp ash clear coated, always liked the birds eye or flame -- BUT, Sire really made a beautiful swamp ash bass, the grain in mine really pops, and the clear coat really dazzles in the light!

14. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Personally I couldn't see spending that extra money just for a pop open battery compartment and a thin laminate top. Plus I love the look of swamp ash anyway! The grain on mine looks great and they did a great job matching up the body pieces (the body is not one piece).

Sire2.jpeg

tindrum and bholder like this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I fully understand your position. The first thing that pushed me towards my M7 was those visible laminate stripes at the end of the M5 neck. And I'm a sucker for a matching headstock... and it was a burst too? The M5 didn't stand a chance with me.

PXL_20210605_225945984.jpg

tindrum, ClassicJazz and bholder like this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    That's even prettier than mine! :drool:

tindrum likes this.
  17. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Good looking bass you have. Although my preference is natural color. Gotta admit, my M5 looks good next to it’s big brother! Lol

3613E733-6DF4-4D81-8958-CF2090322A08.jpeg

tindrum and dabbler like this.
  18. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Oh, I love naturals too! ;)

But by the way, how does it compare to big brother???

IMGP4372a.jpg

tindrum and ClassicJazz like this.
  19. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Pretty good. Obviously the playability and quality of the Fodera is leaps better. But the M5 has similar electronics setup making it just as versatile as the Fodera. I am pretty sure Sire modeled the electronics from the Fodera, in regards to sporting split coil pickups and the controls.

dabbler likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021