Sire M5 vs Ray34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RL87, Nov 25, 2021 at 5:03 AM.

1. Ray34

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  2. Sire m5

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. RL87

RL87

Sep 20, 2021
    Hi guys,

Started playing the bass early this year and currently own a sire v3. Itching for one with humbuckers now! So finally decided between a ray34 or a sire m5. I’m aware tonally they’re not quite the same. Personally love the tone of the ray34, but in awe of the quality and build of the m5 and they’re both around the same price. I dont do gigs, just a hobby that I’ve become obsessed about!

What do you guys think? Being a newbie would like some feedback!

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    upload_2021-11-25_7-3-7.jpeg

Ray 34 AshBlack. Looks even better in person. Neck played and felt great. Sounded just like a US StingRay. Excellent build quality!! I’ve owned and still do own Sire. This is next level.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 6:06 AM
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No surprise, I'm biased, I vote for the Sire. I have the M7, one of the most tonally versatile basses in existence. The M5 is the same minus the pretty veneer top and a few other touches. No shade to the Ray, just never been my thing.

ChipDougl4s likes this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    These are a great option too!!

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I keep forgetting the MTD's "budget" line, never tried one myself but I'd sure like to!

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. RL87

RL87

Sep 20, 2021
    I did consider MTD, but unfortunately theyre not available where i live! Purchasing it from abroad and having it shipped over plus tax is gonna cost too much :(

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm done buying.
    Can't even go to Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc, because if I see this, I know I won't be able to leave without it! 61prai3-Fu-NS-AC-SL1500.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    SteveCS, Mili, Kubicki Fan and 3 others like this.
  8. You should also consider a G&L Kiloton, L-1000 or L-2000.

RL87, Gizmot, Reedt2000 and 1 other person like this.
  9. The Ray34 and M5 sound TOTALLY different…so it really depends on what you’re looking for.
    I really like the Ray34 for a budget Stingray, they feel and sound extremely close to how my ‘94 3-band EB sounded. My only gripe about it is the tuners. I don’t know why almost all Asian-made budget instruments use the same cheap tuners. At least Lakland Skylines use Hipshot LIC Ultralight’s…but I digress…

The M5 can sound like a regular Jazz, and active jazz, a “Jazz on Steriods”…
    [I don’t want to say “Fodera-like” because those cost 10x as much as a Sire and they use proprietary pickups/electronics, but they also use a similar style of pickup…]

As mentioned, a Kiloton Tribute is another option to consider:
    This is probably the best sounding Kiloton demo I’ve heard.

One Way, lowdownthump and dralionux like this.
  10. Dang it. That thing is gorgeous.

I just finished my write up on my new G&L L-2500 Series 750, and concluded with saying how I regret buying G&Ls because it’s causing me to want to replace all my Fenders with G&Ls. You’re really not helping me here.

One Way, Gizmot, bholder and 3 others like this.
  11. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    My son has a ray34, it is killer.
    Sire sounds like Squier.

12. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I didn't vote, 'cause I've never owned a Ray34, but no way is the Ray as versatile as a Sire M (I have an M7).

One Way, dralionux and BlueTalon like this.
  13. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    SW Missouri
    I voted Ray34. I just bought a Ray5 and I love it. I’m hooked on the Stingray design.

14. Philip McAdam

Philip McAdam Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2021
    Gabriola Island, BC.
    I am not sure of your price point but another option would be an FGN Mighty Jazz Dark which I believe has a humbucker.

15. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Yes, and more versatile than the Ray34

RL87, lowdownthump and Philip McAdam like this.
  16. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Mmmm, u need to try one....

SteveCS likes this.
  17. It’s funny, but for me the corners of the standard stingray were uncomfortable. If they all had a forearm contour it would be different.

18. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Apples and oranges

SteveCS likes this.
  19. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    They are indeed Apples and Oranges.

They are nowhere near the same price here in the UK - the Ray34 is typically about double(!), but if you can find a Ray34 for the same price as an M5 then the Ray34 would (did) get my vote.

The M5 at Anderton's;
    upload_2021-11-26_9-6-45.png
    ...and the Ray34:
    upload_2021-11-26_9-7-5.png

20. RL87

RL87

Sep 20, 2021
    wow they do cost alot more in the UK!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021