1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire M7 4-string bass landed cost

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fred P, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Fred P

Fred P

Mar 7, 2017
    Hi everyone. I'm new here.
    I'm thinking about buying a Sire M7 bass (alder body, 4 string). Anyone have tried it ? Your comments ?
    I live in Quebec (Canada), so there is no retailer here where I can try it before buying... Also, I would like to know the actual landed cost (I have to take account of currency rates, custom fees and other taxes I don't know of...). The price on the website is interesting, but I don't want a bad surprise since my budget is a bit low. Has anyone in Quebec (or Canada) bought one ? Have you had to pay hidden fees that boosted the price ? Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've got an M7 fretless 5 (alder) that I just love, but I'm not in Canada, can't help on that aspect. They don't have a retail presence in the US yet either, but they're apparently working on it. Just a suggestion, you might want to check both sire-usa.com and thomann.de - the latter is in Germany, and is the European distributor, but they're happy to ship to the US and probably Canada too. Depending on how exchange rates are currently, might end up cheaper. (I bought my first 2 Sires from Thomann, very happy with them.)

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    And welcome to TalkBass! :hyper:

Fred P likes this.
  4. Fred P

Fred P

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks for the advice. I checked on thomann.de and they do not ship to Canada, neither to USA anymore. Maybe they've been asked to stop to avoid bugs in some negotiation for a retail presence in North America.

And for the additional fees to consider when importing from the States, I learned that I'll have to pay for the taxes on the value in $CAD (799$ USD = 1077$ CAD... and the taxes in my province are about 15%, so around 165$...). If I add shipping (between 87$ US and 300$ US, depending on the options with UPS...), I'll have to pay between 1355,80$ CAD and 1643,17 $ CAD. It kind of turns me off a bit... but I really think I could not get more for my money in the same price range, for what I saw in local music stores...

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There is a Sire bass club on TalkBass, but I'm not sure which forum it is in. Try searching for it. I'm sure they would be your best source of information here.
    Welcome, and Good Luck.

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Rats. But yeah, it makes sense, they were at times undercutting Sire USA's prices. Well, it was a great deal while it lasted.

lowdownthump likes this.