Sire Marcus Miller M7 - master tone knob issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sus7, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Sus7

Sus7

Sep 28, 2020
    Hi,

Some days ago I've received my new Sire Marcus Miller M7 fretless 2nd generation.

When I turn the master tone knob (positioned at the bottom knob of the master volume) I don't hear any difference in tone, whatever other knob settings I have. Both in active mode and passive mode no change in tone is perceivable. At least some difference I expect to be noticeable between the extreme ends, like dark and bright, but I don't hear it. Nor does the spectrum analyser on my mixer show a graphical difference when turning the knob.

Something I'm doing wrong? Is this a known issue? Anyone else having a Sire M7 2nd gen has experienced the same problem?

Thanks for your help.

amb75 likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Contact Sire or whoever you bought it from for service - that's broken.

3. Sus7

Sus7

Sep 28, 2020
    Hi Bholder,

I've contacted my (online) supplier and included this video showing the lack of tone change.
    (not sure if I'm allowed to use names here, it's one of the biggest music shops in Europe)

Their answer:
    "We have received an answer from our experts.

In this case, they explained, that this Tone Poti really works very slightly. If you pick the strings like you are doing it on the video, then there is no difference in tone. They like to ask you to try to pick harder / slap the strings, especially the treble strings, then you should notice a small difference."

Now I tried this (slapping and using plectrum/fingernail) but I still don't hear a difference, also not in the treble strings.

I can't compare with another M7.
    @ M7 owners, is it correct that this pot meter only works slightly, barely hearable?
    If so, then how can I change the tone from bright to dark in "passive mode", i.e. where the equalizer knobs have no impact?

amb75 likes this.
  4. makdub

makdub

May 26, 2017
    Winnipeg
    Sorry to revive an old thread. Did you ever sort your issue?

I've got a 2nd generation V7. My stacked passive tone knob was working a year ago but seems to be doing nothing now. The weird thing is that I notice a very slight difference when it's in "active" mode but not a thing in passive. I thought the knob did nothing in "active" mode.

amb75 likes this.
  5. amb75

amb75

May 21, 2021
    Bumping this issue once more... I have the same problem! Wheb turning the know nothing happens, no brightness or darkness to be detected. Furthermore the knobs seem to not stack up right, but croocked... something i will have to fix with knob replacement. But for now, no change in tone to be heard when turning the bottom knob (farthest knob from the switches).

Anyone with the same issue? And how dit it get solved?

6. makdub

makdub

May 26, 2017
    Winnipeg
    I took mine back to the retailer that I purchased through and they had the knob replaced. It works now, but as I've seen on some threads, the change in tone is very minimal.

amb75 likes this.
  7. amb75

amb75

May 21, 2021
    Thank you so much for your quick response!!!
    I bought mine online, so have to think about sending it back (from the netherlands to Germany) now i know that the tone response to the knob is minimal...

makdub likes this.
  8. makdub

makdub

May 26, 2017
    Winnipeg
    Ah good luck! It had been just under a year from my purchase date so I didn't have to pay anything. If I had to pay, I would say the subtle tone difference is probably not worth the money. YMMV!

amb75 likes this.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The change in tone should not be minimal unless it's designed that way. I have a preamp from Nordstrand in my jazz and the tone knob makes a huge difference in tone. Even more so than if you turned down the treble knob. My pre-amp doesn't have a passive option.

amb75 likes this.
  10. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Tone control on Sire preamps is pretty weak with a .022 uF capacitor. Replacing that cap (pretty easy if you can solder) results in a much more drastic change to the color with the tone control. I did a .1 uF but .047 seems to be the go to.

11. Hi! I am planning to do a tone cap upgrade to my m5. Is it compatible or will it cause some issues? All I know is it worked just fine with your P10 in the vid and I just feel like that's the only thing missing from this instrument. Any tips?

12. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Yes, you can do this on the M5. Just make sure you correctly identify the tone cap and be careful when removing it (you can snip it as well). Good luck!

13. Hi. I'm jumping on this thread rather than starting a new one.

With that 3 band eq - including sweepable mids, why would you want or need a tone control in active mode?

To those here who own active Sires, where is your tone control set at?

14. makdub

makdub

May 26, 2017
    Winnipeg
    I believe it’s a passive tone control so it has no effect on the active circuitry.

Bassngtr likes this.
  15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Incorrect, the passive tone is still in effect when in active mode. Think of it as a "final" tone tweak that comes after the preamp.

Me, I almost always run with tone all the way up, but a slight bass and low mid bump on the pre. A treble drain (like the tone knob) operates differently than the preamp boost/cut knobs.

16. makdub

makdub

May 26, 2017
    Winnipeg
    Ah my bad. For what it's worth, I run mine up all the way too.

17. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    It's not that you NEED it, but it doesn't matter. I don't remember where mine is set, but what I did was set it where I wanted in passive mode and then set the active controls where I wanted them. I'm much less likely to change my passive setting than the active. Easy peasy.

18. under the volume knob in m5 and m7's but it's so weak that it doesn't make much sense to touch it anyways. with the poopie tone of knobs u have on the bass, u can dial in a better tone

19. Exactly. Apparently that's due to the low value capacitor Sire uses.

Oh, and I didn't mean "Where is it located?" I meant "What level do you have it set at?"

Anyway, it seems the tone control full on would be equivalent to "flat", leaving the active eq to do its job.

UgiTheBassist and bholder like this.