Sire or Am Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woody357, Jul 28, 2019.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Here we go. I have read a lot about the Sire basses and I own a first generation V7 and like it a lot. I also own a AM Fender Elite Jazz that I love. Now IMHO the Sire is a great bass for the price I would even say it could be priced higher but it’s not in the same playing field as a AM Fender. Now I have heard people say they put their fender down for one. So who here has chosen their Sire over their Fender?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I prefer my Sires over my Fenders. Won't claim they're "better", just a preference, I like the Sire preamp rather a lot.

3. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Not another round...:rollno:

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I own both.
    My Elite is my dream bass and my #1.

My Sire is my backup, don’t want to take my expensive gear bass.

6722ECCC-55B7-4764-BEBB-3A0D2666A6D2.jpeg

5. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    If you're going Sire V9 vs Fender Elite, I would go Sire. For the money, Sire makes a fantastic active bass, and I love the pre-amp.
    But if it's Sire vs Fender Am Std/Pro, those are just totally different beasts, even if they look similar. I would go with a passive Fender P over a Sire P7 any day, but those are way easier to acquire for near the same cash.

I admit I've also never played an Elite I've connected with. Once you're getting into that $2k price range, I think you'd be either better off with an excellent low-price option like Sire OR saving a bit more and getting a boutique instrument with more attention to craft and playability than a production Fender can offer.

Luigir, Clark Dark and dralionux like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I agree with most of this . I auditioned several and owned an Elite Jazz V prior to the one I posted above . I also owned a Sire V7 Vintage. I couldn’t connect with any of those basses. They all had maple fb.
    I was all set to buy a Sire V10. I happened to check out a used Elite at GC while on vacation . It had ebony fb just like me Stingray Special HH .
    This Elite felt perfect in my hands and to my ears and it felt lighter than my Stingray Special 5Hh which was 9.8lbs.

I couldn’t leave it in the store. I bought it, had it immediately refinished and the luthier weighed it.
    9.2lbs. What a find!! Bye bye Stingray and sorry , no V10 for me .

Sire and Fender sound different and I like them both .
    But the Fender feels better in my hands and has that Fender tone that I like so much. My Sire V3 gives me that Sire tone that is also nice, but different .
    I now know what people mean when they talk about finding a great Fender. It’s something Special !!

You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get that Sire tone.

In most situations I’m going to advise buy used if you want a Fender Elite. I wouldn’t buy another new one . But used, they are a steal . Especially if you find one that is extremely light and resonant like mine is.

Bottom line is , you have to get a bass in your hands before you really know .

7. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    9.8 lbs is heavy, but 9.2 lbs is “extremely light”? Maybe I’m reading you wrong, but my heaviest bass is 9.0 lbs.

You said you bought it and had it immediately refinished... you mean like a new paint job?!!! Can we see some pics? I love seeing before and after pics.

jackn1202 and dralionux like this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    No , 9.8lbs is light for a 5 string.
    9.2 is even better and one of the lightest I’ve seen for a Fender Elite 5. And I haven’t heard of any Sire V3, V7, 5 string being that light .

Refinished in BMW White and new b/w/b pick guard . I’ve always wanted a bright white jazz with pearl blocks. This 70’s look is my favorite .

7CD0C22A-69F5-4D65-B63D-69C34E33890F.jpeg
    Before

FF04BAB3-7BB3-4173-96E5-0AD5156BD8C7.jpeg
    After .

bholder, scottm, Nevada Pete and 4 others like this.
  9. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I would choose and recommend Fender.

Mili likes this.
  10. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    I hadn’t considered that it was a 5 string or that the added “stuff” would make a difference... I only play 4 bangers. I guess I mostly meant that I didn’t think 1/2 a pound was that big of a difference. That being said, your bass looks absolutely gorgeous!!! I liked the blue, but the white looks phenomenal! Plus you got exactly what you wanted. May I ask what the refinish cost? There is a jazz bass I’d like to have painted inca silver.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    I chose a Sire V7 over a MIM P bass. Not sure if I'd chose a Sire over an Am P bass. Possibly...if the Fender wasn't a good one. The Am P bass I played felt great but it was twice as much as my Sire. I now have a Sire and a SBMM and I feel that's more than enough for me this early on in my journey.

The Fender above is beautiful...before AND after

12. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    American Fender Elite, no question.
    In the comparisons that I have made, I'd rate the Sire's playability on par with the MIM Fender Standard. Pretty good, but not stellar.

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Am Fender. Sire's a nice bass for the money, though.

Thumb n Fingers and lowdownthump like this.
  14. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    There are a few AVRI 64 Jazz basses on GC site right now. I know absolutely nothing about the Sire basses. But I have a 2013 AVRI Jazz that is a wonder of build quality and sound. Hands down best bass I've ever owned!

15. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Wow, usually it’s white getting refinned into LPB, not the other way around... :(

CameronJohnson likes this.
  16. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Says who?
    It was Ocean Turquoise Metallic not LPB. I prefer white and I don’t want off white Olympic White.
    I’m very pleased with the results as I have always wanted a bright white jazz with pearl blocks since I was a kid in the 70’s.

It’s ok if it makes you :(.
    As long as it makes me:D:hyper::bassist::woot::headphone:.

I play what I like and LIKE what I play. ;)

jackn1202 likes this.
  17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I would recommend my chicken chilli sallad all the time. And you must like it!

[​IMG]
    Oh, don't forget the mexican hot sauce over it, please!

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This reminds me of a thread I just started. My advice is get what YOU actually want no matter what anyone else has to say because it is your money and your life.

19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Dump both of them and get a Lakland!!

chris_b and Mili like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :D

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021