Sire P7 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walldaja, May 8, 2018.

1. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Had the opportunity to play one today. All I can say is, "wow!"

Bass can go either active or passive. Fretwork was outstanding, much more in line with a bass costing much more. Controls gave amazing flexibility.

I need one!

bholder likes this.
  2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yep. They are amazing instruments, especially when you consider the price. I have a P7 and V7 and love them both.

3. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I’m considering one for my next purchase .
    Still enjoying yours?

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yep

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I know a couple of guys who play Sire 5's and they sound very good. I've played a V7 and would buy one if they made them 2 lbs lighter!

6. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal, Lisbon
    Just one question. If I use only the neck pups, will I get that precision sound???

7. Gatorbait (my son) has a Sire 5'er. Absolutely loves it. If I played a 5 , I would steal it from him. ;)

8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    No.

If you compare the sound of a neck pickup on a jazz with a P bass you'll hear they are not close at all. If you just want a bassy, less defined sound then maybe, but that's not the sound of a P bass.

_sky_ likes this.
  9. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal, Lisbon
    Roger that. Guess if you want a P sound stick with a P Bass

chris_b likes this.
  10. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    If you are asking about the P7 then the answer is yes.
    Asking about the V7 then it sounds like a front jazz pickup. Similar but not exact.
    The flexible preamp will get you closer than most but again, not exact.

_sky_ likes this.
  11. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal, Lisbon
    Was asking about the p7. I have a V7. Was thinking in getting a P7 to use with flats.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Just ordered a new P7-5er, Alder/Rwd, antique white. Was gona order either a Sunburst or Black. But two online stores had the white ones' with a Best Offer, so I made offers to both and received a price I was very happy with. Colors not that big of a deal, all 3 looked pretty nice. I have a '08 MIA P5, standard, Cola/Maple, so be nice to compare the two.

Been wanting to try a Sire for awhile now, so hoping it's nice as all here have said. Hoping to get a lighter weight one too.

13. Boomer777

Boomer777

Feb 17, 2011
    Jupiter
    Greetings - Am a new Sire P7 owner - however, mine did not come with a user's guide/manual - Can somebody pls give me a thumbnail sketch on the: what all the knobs n dials are - Thx for your help

14. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    772277_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=22uD8_GAyCsAX-rQ2hQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

(That shows the V7, the P7 is basically the same except the active / passive switch moved slightly and it's on the pg, no control plate.)

Seems complicated at first, but becomes intuitive very quickly, in my experience.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  15. Breeze3

Breeze3

Sep 10, 2003
    Nanuet,NY
    Had a first gen P7 [ 5r ] alder/rw and it was a very nice bass , I didn't mind the 9.5 weight.

16. Boomer777

Boomer777

Feb 17, 2011
    Jupiter
    WOW - THX EVER-SO-MUCH THERE BH - Your a real gem! Needed this

bholder likes this.