Sire P7 So close to getting one but a few questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimboZ, Mar 31, 2018.

1. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Questions before I purchases a Sire P7 4 string

Tuners
    I have read a few people have had issues with the tuners. Do they need upgrading or are they fine.

Neck
    I cant tell from the photos, Is there binding on the maple neck ?

Is the neck the same as the V7? This review talks about it being a bit wider.
    Review – Sire Guitars Releases New Bass Guitar Model, the Sire P7

Bridge
    A few people posted about issues with screws breaking on the bridge.
    If a bridge upgrade is needed will a Babicz Full Contact Bridge will fit the thru body string holes and spacing?

Thanks for any info!!

2. Modler

Modler

Jan 16, 2017
    Denmark
    Tuners - they are perfectly fine on the V7 in my opinion. Wouldn't bother to upgrade them. I'm pretty sure the P7 uses the same tuners.

Neck - yes, it should have a cream binding. Check the pictures om Thomann's website, it may be a bit easier to see there.

That review puzzled me as well. For all I know, the V7 and the P7 shares the same j-style neck.
    Maybe the reviewer didn't take the difference between a 4 -string and a 5-string into account. Maybe he reviewed a prototype with a slightly different neck, or maybe his brain tricked him because he expected a p-bass to have a thicker neck than a j-bass. Who knows.
    But the P7 definately has a j-style neck rather than a p-neck.

I have no idea about the bridge. I don't think the breaking screws is a very common problem though.

Da_Bass_Man likes this.
  3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Tuners = just fine

Neck = same as v7

Bridge = no problems on the four Sire's I've owned.

4. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Thanks.
    J neck on a P body is what I want.
    The small neck radius may take a bit to get used to.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've read plenty of criticism of the tuners and bridges, but mostly from spectators. Most Sire owners find them both to be just fine. Mine all are. Sire was talking about offering P width necks separately, and they did at least prototype a few, but I guess they decided there wasn't enough demand to justify it.

Da_Bass_Man likes this.
  6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a P7 5 string and there is nothing wrong with the hardware. It is a surprisingly good bass. Mine was not set up very well but I am picky about set ups. I reduced the forward bow and lowered two of the bridge saddles and now it plays great. The neck on my Sire is a bit chunky feeling but I love the feel.

7. chasesigi

chasesigi

Jul 15, 2012
    Following this thread in hopes of finding out what if any replacement bridges would fit Sire Basses?

Reference my other post, I have received two Sire M3's both with faulty bridges, come to find out they downgraded their bridges on the M3 line and now discontinued the M3 altogether. Every M3 owner I can find has the original Steel Bridges, I got the black zinc bridges and the E string will not adjust down and cannot be forced down, both of these M3's have the highest E strings I have ever seen.

The first M3 was heavy at 9 pounds (much heavier then their advertised estimated weight of 7.6 lbs) but it was well balanced, the second M3 weighed around 8.5 pounds but felt like 8 pounds was in the headstock! Worst neck dive I have ever felt and I have tried most all major brands of basses at some point or another, impossible for me to play sitting or strapped standing.

Sire Marcus Miller M3 received in rough shape

8. Breeze3

Breeze3

Sep 10, 2003
    Nanuet,NY
    Have a P7/5 Alder/Rosewood ...... tuners are fine , neck is a J , bridge is also fine. I got my bass at a shop , I was able to play a few and had the bass setup to my liking , no issues with setup since.

chasesigi likes this.
  9. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I have a V3. The tuners feel a bit weird. Not the smoothest feeling tuners, but they don't seem as bad as people make them out to be. Bridge is 100% perfectly fine.

lowdownthump and bholder like this.
  10. I hope no issues like this. I've read all rave reviews so far, so I just decided ordered one because I need a reliable 5 string. $599 may be cheap for a bass, but it's the most I've ever paid for a bass that I didn't get to sit down and try out first. I'm going on faith with this one.

11. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Just ordered a P7 4 string! Ash white blond. Will have on Monday!!!

scubaduba likes this.
  12. For real? When did you put the order in? I paid for mine Tuesday and they said estimated ship date was May 30th.

13. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Chicago music exchange. They just listed some on the website yesterday. Ordered one on Thursday will have on Monday!!!

14. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? Crazy timing for me, I guess. I checked them right before I put my order in. Oh well. That's life

15. MaxSpinrun

MaxSpinrun Gold Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    I put a Babicz on my V7. No problems with the string through.

BackToTheGroove and TimboZ like this.
  16. Did you get your P7 yet? I'm curious what you think of the neck. I didn't pay attention to the specs before I ordered mine and just saw that it has a 7.25" fretboard radius which is crazy curved! I know that's a vintage Fender spec, but I've never played one that round before. What do you think of it?

17. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I love the fretboard radius. I really do. And I love the neck.

18. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    20180511_144745-01.jpeg
    Got it on monday. Love everything about it except the strings. The neck is a lot like my peavey fury.

19. I'm definitely going to give it a chance, but if it ends up feeling too weird, I may have to re-radius down to 10" or 12" and re-fret it. I've been playing Ibanez too long I guess. My first bass was a $50 used Peavey International, once I moved on, it became my experiment bass. Once I re-radiused it to 20", it was so much easier to play.

20. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I have some questions: Does anyone know what strings the p7 comes with and has anyone swapped out the knobs on the p7? If so what did you replace them with?

ETA: never mind figured out strings and ordered something else. Still wondering about the knob replacement.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    BackToTheGroove likes this.