1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire p7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joshua Pat, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Joshua Pat

Joshua Pat

May 27, 2018
    Hey guys i am a new member here, i would like to know what do you guys think about the sire p7, any pros and cons, the built quality of the instrument and the is there anything i should look out for regarding this bass,as i recently tried it and liked how it felt and sound, just wanna know from people who have actually owned and yea i have made payment for it

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I love mine - I got a custom order fretless P7 5er in ash/maple natural - loving it.

3. I have a 4 string that well exceeded my expectations. Just can’t beat it for the price IMO.

Neck is Jazzy and very easy to play. PUs sound great - no need to replace them. Finish is lovely. Sounds great in passive or acitive mode and preamp is very versatile.

Only cons are plastic knobs and the tuners and bridge do the job fine, but they are nothing to write home about. Longevity.... remains to be seen.

My other basses are jealous right now because my P7 is getting all the attention. Thinking about getting a V7 or V7 Vintage eventually...

bholder likes this.
  4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Weight on these? What are you guys seeing?

5. You can custom order? I’d like the P7 5 string black with a maple board but according to the website, that combo doesn’t exist.

6. According to a search on the InterWeb, 8.5 pounds on 4 string;9.5 on 5. I have never weighed mine. Comfortable weight to me...

StrangerDanger likes this.
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I’d guess the ash ones are lighter

8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Well, all fretless and lefties are considered "custom orders" but I don't think they do custom option combinations. That would be cool though. By "custom order", it really means they do them in batches, waiting until they have enough orders to make it worth switching the production line and building a bunch. Usually means waiting several more months than a normal order.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    My P7 ash/maple fretless 5er comes in at 9.4 pounds.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Alder tends to be slightly lighter from what I've read. Though my alder and ash Sire V7s weigh about the same.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Welcome to TB. I’d suggest doing a search. These basses have been discussed extensively and you’re likely to get a lot of information from those threads before you get a lot replies to this thread.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  12. Joshua Pat

Joshua Pat

May 27, 2018
    Thanks for the welcome and for the info :)

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I was a little skeptical of Sire basses given the price point tbh, but being that there wasn't one anywhere near me I could try out, I had to buy it sight unseen. I bought the cheapest one too, the V3 and I'm just wowed by the quality and versatility of it. I love PJ basses so the P7 I imagine will be even better - the option to go active or passive, the preamp is really great on these Sire basses in terms of the variety of tones you can get out of the instrument. Already considering getting another one. As they're relatively new basses, durability and longevity are still question marks but from what I've seen, so far so good. A little suspect of the tuners myself but we'll see.
    There's a Sire Club with about 500 pages of information, I would definitely recommend reading through the posts if you have any questions or to allay any concerns about purchasing the bass ( I for one did, as I don't normally buy a bass I haven't tried first) 547 pages of comments helped put my mind at ease. Great bass for the money for sure.
    Welcome to TB.
    Sire Bass Club!

Kilgore777 and bholder like this.
  14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve got a P7 fretless 5 in alder/rosewood. I bought it new from Chicago Music Exchange a few months ago.

As others have said, the knobs feel cheap and are pretty cheesy, IMO. I immediately replaced them with aluminum Sadowsky-style knobs from Best Bass Gear. Other than that, I have really no complaints with the other components on the bass. The tuners work smoothly, and the bass stays in tune very well. The bridge is ok, nothing great, but it definitely works just fine.

Fit and finish is flawless. I can’t find any imperfections on it anywhere.

Also, it really sounds great. The preamp and pickups are dead quiet, and it sounds really, really good. I had bought it thinking I’d probably do an electronics swap on it, but I see no need at all.

IMO, you really can’t go wrong with one of these. I’ve been using mine on several gigs now, on a few songs per night that benefit from a fretless bass.

Kilgore777 and bholder like this.
  15. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've had my P7 alder/rosewood five-string for about a week. So far I love it. I previously had a 2015 Fender USA Jazz Deluxe V, and the build quality of the P7 compares favorably to it. My P7 is under 10lbs. Fit and finish is excellent, aside from what everyone else says- the plastic knobs aren't terrible, but they don't seem to match the build quality of the rest of the instrument. I do have a problem with my pre-amp- it pops when switching between active/passive. Sire customer server has been very responsive so far, and I'm hoping to have the issue resolved in the next few days.

16. phillystax

phillystax

Jan 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    RyanL, I just bought a P7 4string and agree that the only downside seems to be the knobs. You mentioned buying aluminum knobs from Best Bass Gear. Do you happen to still have the links? Especially for the dual-concentric pots. My P7 should arrive next week and I'd like to go ahead and get the knobs ordered.

Thanks!

17. Gatorbait (my son) picked up a Sire a couple of years ago. It arrived while he was out of state so I got to try it out before him. I was very impressed. If I wasn't such a spaz on a 5 string , I would have stolen it from him.

Kilgore777 likes this.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    phillystax likes this.
  19. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    I know the P7 nut width is 38mm and the neck is described as "C shape". Roughly how thick front-to-back is the neck? Does it feel thin, thick, about average?

20. Ganelin

Ganelin

Oct 25, 2013
    Hey guys, I just upgraded my knobs with metal silver ones from aliexpress, $1 for each and $2 for doubles ( so under $10 as I bought a few extras just in case). Used them for a year now, so far no complains.