1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Preamp on a Squier VM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aldon, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Aldon

Aldon

Apr 27, 2020
    Hey all :D I'm a beginner bassist and i got myself a Squier VM Jazz '77. Now i've been wanting to make it active for awhile cause i want it to be able to sound more 'modern' and 'clear', and i found myself a Sire preamp. Question is, will it fit on my bass, or will it even work at all? Will it affect the tone of my bass on neutral EQ?

On a side note, i found that running my bass through a DI (Hartke Bass attack VXL) and into an audio interface much brighter sounding than if i just plug it straight into the interface. Will i be needing the DI if i were to install the preamp? thanks a lot!

2. It’ll work in any bass.
    In your Squier, you’ll need to route in a side-jack and battery box. Also, make sure the module fits into the cavity, hopefully you won’t need to enlarge that.

3. Aldon

Aldon

Apr 27, 2020
    Great! I didn't consider the side jack issue as i didn't even notice i. :facepalm: thanks for the reply!

4. Ronnie Thunders

Ronnie Thunders

Oct 21, 2019
    Sounds crazy, I like it

5. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Regarding the second part of your question:

The Hartke Bass Attack is not only a DI, but an active preamp. Most active basses in the market have passive pickups w/ an onboard preamp. So, plugging your passive bass into a preamp is kind of the same thing as converting your bass into active. And of course different preamps have different freq points, thus they sound different. Will you be needing the DI if you were to install the preamp? Maybe yes, maybe not.. You'll be daisy chaining your Sire pre and Hartke pre which might or might not sound good, and that is completely subjective.

6. Aldon

Aldon

Apr 27, 2020
    Hey! Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the fact that the Hartke doubles as a preamp, but i just don't like the tone it gave with the preamp turned on. It's very... steel-like. Fortunately it still works as a DI with the preamp turned off (i think). That's why i asked if the Sire preamp was transparent and would it affect my tone much? :D

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I've never owned a Sire, so I can't say much about the pre other than that people who own them like it, and (assuming that Marcus Miller likes his original Fender w/ Sadowsky pre) it sounds somehow similar to the pre on the Sadowsky basses, but I might be wrong.. (I prefer passive basses my self)

Aldon likes this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I think you have a good idea with the Sire preamp. You can make any preamp work with pretty much any bass electronically, but it's the physical considerations that you have to look out for.

I'm gonna make a suggestion that is probably completely irrelevant to your situation. But John East make a preamp, the J Retro that comes already assembled underneath the control plate (where the knobs are) and has a battery holder on it as well. No need for an additional route for the preamp module. There are 4 models of the J Retro preamp. Three of them have the output jack on the plate, which would require no additional routing at all. If you were to choose the J Retro Deluxe model with an addition set of pots where the output jack would normally go (the most expensive one), you will, have to make provisions for the output jack to come out the bottom of the bass.

The bad part of this idea is that the J Retro is expensive. Depending on options, you could spend as much as $275 on the preamp itself. The Squier bass doesn't cost a whole lot more than that, I know....:D (Not saying the Squier isn't worthy of such an upgrade, but it's not the best idea economically). I put one in my Mike Lull bass and it may the single best investment I've made toward finally finding "my sound" in a bass. I positively love it.

I mention this idea only as an alternative for anyone with a Jazz-style bass that doesn't want to make an additional route for a preamp and battery box in the back of their bass.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Heavy Blue likes this.
  9. Aldon

Aldon

Apr 27, 2020
    Hey! Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have considered going with the J Retro or the Audere JZ3, but unfortunately they're really hard to get a hold on where i live... There's no Audere on the market and only one J Retro in an online store! (with 0 reviews no less) :rollno:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021