1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire preamp vs sadowsky preamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lincoln, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    Hi gang...I'm considering a Sire V7 but I'm considering hot-rodding it with Nordy pups and a Sadowsky pre...However...

I've heard great things about the electronics in the Sire already. Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the two preamps?

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Unfortunately it is like comparing a $40 bottle of wine with a $200 bottle. There is no accurate way to predict which you will prefer based upon price or the opinions of other people. Each will have its own flavor.

I will say that people praise the Sadowsky for the tone, whereas people praise the Sire for the tone considering the price.

joebar, BassJuju, RichSnyder and 7 others like this.
  3. Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    That's a decent point. I love the Sadowsky pre and know what it will yield, I don't know what the Sire one will yield, though every review has praised it— and not just "good for the price" but "good for good sake"...

Any thoughts from those who have owned both?

barrybass33 likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well, you can't just go out and buy the Sire preamp for building projects, either. They'll sell replacement parts to someone who has one, but they haven't made the preamp available separately otherwise. (Though I did manage to score one. ;))

5. Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    True enough! what did your Sire pre replace?

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Nothing, using it in a parts build. I do have 4 Sires, but I got the Sire preamp from another user here (who got it as a replacement but then didn't need it apparently).

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The $200 bottle would be the Sire! The Sire has a much more complex preamp than the Sadowsky. Sadowsky is two band, boost only. The Sire is four band, boost and cut, including two band variable mids.

Don't misunderstand me, the Sadowsky has significantly better overall build quality, and the hardware is much better. Sire, however, has the more complex preamp.

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    But maybe the $40 bottle of wine is the more complex.... Did you just judge wine by the price tag?

:D

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Sadowsky preamp delivers the Sadowsky sound, so it does what it is supposed to do. It just happens to be relatively simple.

10. slamsinger

slamsinger Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
    Can't go wrong with a aadowsky preamp
    I didn't like the sweepable mid on the sire preamp nor the sizzle top end
    I never liked the sweepabe mid thing but that's just me
    I like the frequency points on the sadowsky and the tone control
    Simple and extremely effective imo

dralionux and deepestend like this.
  11. I have owned a Sadowsky pre, but have sold it years ago. It does what it does very good. Sadowsky has decided for a two band design for reasons. He came to the conclusion that it sounds better than the 3-way designs he experimented with. A 2-band design has a mid-eq, just lower the highs and lows!
    I have never heard a Sire with the Exception of a Marcus Miller concert on german tv.
    I can't decide what is better, but I like the way, Sadowsky explains his decision.

When it comes to me: I love simple EQs. With two bands of variable mids, I would just create nonsense most of the times I regret later when listening to what I did. But that's just me.

12. Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    I guess, Sadowsky preamp's have a certain sound to them. Do the Sire preamps? Or would they be more transparent like a Demeter or Glockenklang so to speak?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    I do like the simple process of the Sadowsky preamp! If I want more mid, I back off the front pickup, play closer to the bridge and roll up the tone which is generally enough to get me to cut at any given time with relative ease...

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I always had a hard time remembering how I got sounds when I had four band Peavey Millenniums, however, Music Man Bongo four band preamps seem very straightforward.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the Sire preamp is more transparent, but my experience is very limited. Sire owners need to respond.

lowdownthump and madjazzbass like this.
  16. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    +1 : blind taste test between $2 Charlie Shaw & $80 bottle of wine, & 2-buck Chuck can come out on top. How about you buy a V7 & record it, then install the Sadowsky pre & record the modded V7? You can even post the recordings here with a poll so readers can vote.

Ikkir and madjazzbass like this.
  17. Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    That's likely what will happen!

DrummerwStrings and Ikkir like this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I think there's probably rather limited overlap between those familiar with the Sire preamp and those familiar with the Sadowsky. Wish I could compare, but I've never even seen a Sadowsky in person. I agree the Sire is very transparent. With the preamp trimpot set to even, and the active controls all at 12:00, it's hard for me to tell any difference in tone between active and passive. That's why I bump the preamp volume a touch, so I can easily tell "which side I'm on".

19. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

If you buy the V7, how about playing and getting to know it before wanting to mod it. I've had both and they don't sound all that different. Except I think Sire has more ass and glass than the Sadowsky preamp. Also, I couldn't get any aftermarket pickups to fit easily into my V7. It would take a little sanding/routing to make it perfect. Make no mistake, the V7 sounds awesome in stock form that I ended up leaving it alone.

20. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    I've had them both and prefer the Nordstrand pre-amp

Session1969 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021