1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire/Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Colin Boonstra, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Colin Boonstra

Colin Boonstra

Jul 8, 2018
    Hi everyone
    I would like to know if the control plates on a sire or squier/fender would be the same dimention. Im going to mod a jazz bass and im putting a different control plate on it but are they the same dimention? Im talking about the Sire V7A4BK
    Thanks in advance.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I seriously doubt it. I would take a tracing, but my V7s are both 5ers.

3. Colin Boonstra

Colin Boonstra

Jul 8, 2018
    Hi Bholder,
    Could you tell me what you mean with tracing? English is not my native language.

4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    I think that if they are not exactly the same, they are still probably interchangeable, if it doesn't match up you may need to modify the pickguard or drill new mounting holes... or both.

Are you considering installing the Sire control plate with the preamp installed? That would require that you cut the body to install a battery box.

bholder likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Oh, ok - well I have two Sire V7s, but they are both 5 strings so the control panels may be different shape, I am not sure. By "tracing" I mean making a 1:1 scale outline pattern of the control panel showing where the screw holes are - so you could compare it against the Squier control panel - but I think they are different.

6. Colin Boonstra

Colin Boonstra

Jul 8, 2018
    Well thank you both for replieing. Im going to put different pickups in it and im going to customize how it looks with gold hardware i wamted to do it with a squier but they dont sell a certain color option with that fretboard inlay and i just want to play it before i put new stuff in it because its better then my current bass. Ill put a pic in what i want to do with it :)

7. Colin Boonstra

Colin Boonstra

Jul 8, 2018
    Something along the lines of this DSC01041.

Skillet likes this.
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Are you planning to remove the Sire preamp, wiring harness and controls? If not, you will need to find a control plate with five holes for the control knobs. Squier, along with most Fender control plates, only have four holes.

9. Colin Boonstra

Colin Boonstra

Jul 8, 2018
    Im planning to see what i can do with the sire preamp :)

10. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    The Sire preamp is an 18v unit, it may work with 9v. Either way, you are going to have to cut some wood out to accommodate the batteries.

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

You may have to have a customized control plate cut for you. I know if I ever had to do this, I would
    1. Trace an outline of the control plate, complete with the control and screw holes, onto graph paper.
    2. Send it to WD Music, specifying which pickguard material I wanted.
    In this case, I would probably choose #10 GD (Mirror Gold) or #50 (Gold/Clear/Gold).

Double E likes this.
  12. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Yeah, the shape of the plate is the least of your problems. If you want a gold 5 hole control plate it’s probably going to be custom made.

13. Colin Boonstra

Colin Boonstra

Jul 8, 2018
    Okay thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Malak the Mad likes this.