1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire V3 vs Sire M2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. M2

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. V3

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hey guys. So I've been checking out some videos and reviews on sire basses and I'm looking at the V3 or the M2.

I'm leaning more towards the V3 simply because of familiarity. I've always loved jazz basses. The M2 also looks sweet though and since they have the same preamp...

Has anyone played both? What are your thoughts?
    Thanks

2. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I was making the same decision earlier this year. I chose the v3 because of its familiarity and compatibility with standard parts. The TB finish is really well done and it sounds and plays great. I hear great things about the M's also. There's a Sire club with a ton of info.

3. ccjacks3

ccjacks3

Jun 25, 2018
    I have both and I’ve strung my V3 with flats and my M2 with Super Brights so it gives me a bit of bright and dark tonal variety.

4. Yeah, but if you could only have one, which would you keep and why?

5. ccjacks3

ccjacks3

Jun 25, 2018
    Well, I bought the V3 first and it’s versitle. The pickups will definitely hum if you solo them so be wary of that fact.

Aussiephoenix likes this.
  6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Tried both at the store. Sire V3 sounded as good as V7 to me, just looked less fancy. Fantastic value there. M2 sounded fine, it has that double humbucker tone. I wasn't blown away or anything, and I prefer the 2 single coils of the jazz bass. V3 sounded punchier and more articulate than M2. Plus, M2 looks super ugly to me. That's pretty much why my vote goes for V3. But if you like the looks and the tone of M2, you can't really go wrong here.

Aussiephoenix and ccjacks3 like this.
  7. V3, I love the Jazz body shape.

8. ccjacks3

ccjacks3

Jun 25, 2018
    The V3 will probably handle any gig you throw at it and is almost tonally identical to the V7. The M2 definitely has the modern humbucker tone down, it just doesn’t have the same options as the humbuckers on the M7. However, a friend of mine who has an MTD Kingston KZ (with upgraded bartolini pickups) was blown away by my M2.

You can’t go wrong with either.

mouthmw and Aussiephoenix like this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Sire V3 . Just personal preference .

10. aban

aban

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Any Pictures of the 2nd gen M2's yet?

11. ccjacks3