1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire V3 ... wrong fret radius

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pj_b, Aug 22, 2018.

1. pj_b

pj_b

Aug 17, 2018
    Looks like the Sire V3 fret radius is 9.5" and not 7.25" as listed on their website
    (and everywhere else I looked for that matter).
    Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.57.28 PM.png
    (as of August 22, 2018)

Bought a sire v3 last month (July) in their showroom in Japan, and took it back home to the Philippines (really excited).
    sire v3.jpeg

Took it to a luthier who pointer out that the fret radius is 9.5” and not 7.25".
    sire fret radius.jpg

Messaged their sire usa fb messenger on July 31. Got a response August 2nd that they'd get back to me, and finally got a response on August 22nd (almost 3 weeks later)
    sire convo.jpg

While I'm more than happy with the bass, and I suppose I shouldn't expect them to send me a 7.25" neck that I was expecting.

I'm definitely disappointed with their customer service.
    Just hope they change the info ASAP so that people aren't mislead into thinking they're getting the same neck as the V7s and V9s.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    lowdownthump likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Odd, I thought they were all the same radius. Others have complained the radius was too small, maybe Sire changed things? Or maybe the flatter board is cheaper to produce for the budget models? Just guessing...

lowdownthump and pj_b like this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Good info to have, thank you for getting some clarification for this and I agree, if this is true, then the website should be updated to reflect this. Salamat po.
    Maybe the initial plan was to have the same radius neck blank as the other V series, which would make it easier for them from a manufacturing standpoint. There are other differences too that probably should be mentioned, satin finish neck vs glossy.
    I have the V3 and also an M3 - to be honest with you, I hardly feel a different in the radius between the two- the again, I'm use to fairly flat fingerboards.

pj_b likes this.
  4. pj_b

pj_b

Aug 17, 2018
    Yeah I'm with you. I picked the V3 because of the price, wanted to save some cash for some upgrades (pickups and tuners), and I honestly preferred the satin neck.

Cheers,
    PJ

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I actually was considering a V7 vintage at first, there were a couple of used ones near me but when I saw the transparent mahogany finish V3, it was too hard to resist. Yes, the pickups, tuners are perhaps a notch below the V7 but the satin neck and that finish...I'm very happy with the V3. In either scenario, I'd probably be happy- I imagine I'll probably end up getting a P7 next. Just checked their website in the US and they're all out of stock of the V7s in all finishes except one until Sept 30th. Wow, these basses are really selling.

pj_b and bholder like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I have a V3. I prefer it to the V7 Vintage I owned. The neck and the tones.
    Sire has a bad habit of listing the wrong specs on their website. They’ve had scale length , pickguard colors and now fretboard radius wrong .

I could tell the radius was listed wrong.
    This is good info to post on Sire club thread.

Maxdusty likes this.
  7. Did you buy it in person from the showroom? And couldn't tell it was a flatter radius? Not sure what the problem is if you had to be told what the radius was and were previously happy with it...

Slater and pj_b like this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I agree. Nothing wrong with any of the basses personally, but I think having correct info on the radius might be the difference for someone deciding between the V3 and V7. Quick question, is the V3 lighter than the V7? I remember reading some comments about the Sire basses and their weight, I don't know if it's just me but I think my V3 seems a little lighter than a number of basses I own.

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. pj_b

pj_b

Aug 17, 2018
    Well full disclosure this is my first bass guitar, so I honestly wouldn’t really be able to tell the difference. I bought it in person, and preferred the feel of the neck and the price of the V3.

When I flew it home and found out it was a different sized neck radius, I contacted sire in order to verify it wasn’t a possible production problem.

Turns out it’s an advertising, copy/pasting of ther website, and customer service problem.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. pj_b

pj_b

Aug 17, 2018
    It did feel a little lighter than the other V7s / Vintages they had on display.

lowdownthump and Maxdusty like this.
  11. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You played a bass, liked it, and purchased it. Then, someone tells you one of the specs is different than you thought, and that’s a problem because?...

If you want to contact Sire and inform them that some specs on their website might be wrong, that’s one thing, but it seems like you’re looking for a problem with a bass you liked enough to buy after you tried it.

Companies have errors on websites all the time. I don’t see any customer service problems.

generalduncan and pj_b like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would be overjoyed to get a bass with a 9.5" radius rather than 7.25", which is too round for my tastes.

13. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    7.25" is just kinda icky

I'd be happy I got a neck that was more playable. I wouldn't complain if I was unable to tell the radius myself. I did buy a 12" radius neck that was actually 16" but I didn't care either way, all I cared about is that it's as flat as possible.

pj_b and Munjibunga like this.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could cut yourself on a 7¼-inch radius.

BassikLee, InternetAlias and pj_b like this.
  15. pj_b

pj_b

Aug 17, 2018
    Fair enough. I see your point. Thanks for your insight. Definitely appreciate it.

Cheers,
    PJ

Slater likes this.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I understand your point, the op tried the bass, liked it, so whatever the radius of the fretboard is, shouldn't really be an issue as he had the opportunity to try it for himself and compare with the other Sire models.
    However, I do see potential customer service problems if this inaccurate information isn't addressed. Sire is not like the other companies that may also have spec errors on their websites. At least for most companies, you can go to a music store and try one out - you can't often do that with Sire basses as you don't often see Sire basses at most music stores in the US. I've yet to see one at any music store within 100 miles of me. There is no opportunity to try before you buy - you have to blindly go with whatever information you have and order it. So if you've got issues with your hands and find that a particular radius fretboard works best for you, you order a bass which you can't try beforehand because you can't find one to try anywhere, order it and find out it's not the advertised radius and can't play it comfortably, then yes, that's an issue. I'm glad the op brought it to Sire's attention, and they should correct it because again, accurate information on the website is far more important in Sire's case than let's say Fender. Personally, fretboard radius is really not that much of an issue for me, but for some people it may be. Just my personal opinion.

lowdownthump and pj_b like this.
  17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Agreed.

pj_b likes this.
  18. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Agree . I found the V3 to be lighter .

pj_b likes this.
  19. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree that if someone ordered a Sire based on wrong information on the Sire website, then it would be Sire’s responsibility to provide proper customer service and make things right with the customer.

20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Sire corrected it on their website, just noticed it. They listened to you. :)

pj_b likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021