Sire V3 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modler, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Modler

Modler

Jan 16, 2017
    Denmark
    Does anyone know anything about this? It seems to be a mahogany version of the V7, but the price is a good chunk lower than the V7. It seems to exist on the Thomann webstore only, available for pre-order in several different colours, and even as 5-string:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_v3_ma.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/dk/marcus_miller_v3_5_bk.htm

Edit: Different inlays, different pickups ("Marcus Standard" as opposed to "Marcus Super" and "Marcus Vintage" on the V7's)... it does indeed seem to be a cost down version of the V7.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. Lesblues

Lesblues

Jan 2, 2018
    Hi, I'm new to Talk bass. I also saw the V3s on the Thomann website and contacted Sire via their Facook page.The guitar will be launched in February, details to be announced "soon". Apart from the preamp all the specs are different to the V7. That is as much as I could find out.

FingerDub and Modler like this.
  3. Modler

Modler

Jan 16, 2017
    Denmark
    Cool:cool:
    Now I'll just have to wait and see if they'll make a left handed version of it too:rolleyes:

4. V3 colors: mahogany red (pictured below), black, antique white, tobacco sunburst
    M2 colors: transparent blue, transparent black, also available in white pearl (+23-30 euros)
    Same price for these 2 models (275 euros incl. VAT in 4 strings), also available in 5 strings (+75 euros).
    Whether fretboards are either maple or rosewood (Dalbergia Latifolia, CITES-banned) is puzzling (descriptions do not match pictures).
    It seems Sire has decided to grab a share out of the Squier market.

12734432_800.jpg
    12732037_800.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Curious so new budget entry level models? Would not have guessed that'd be their next move. But they're crafty like that. ;)

6. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Marcus Miller M2 5 Transparent Blue, 5-string electric bass made by Sire,

mahogany body,
    maple neck, c-profile,
    rosewood (Dalbergia Latifolia) fretboard ? (looks like maple)
    scale length 864 mm (34"),
    nut width 45 mm, 24 medium frets,
    2 Marcus Blue humbucker pickups,
    Marcus heritage-3 electronics with frequency control, volume/tone (dual pot), pickup blender, treble, middle/middle frequency (dual pot), bass mini toggle (acitve/passive),
    finish transparent blue,

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_m2_5_tbl.htm

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    drool

8. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Hopefully they’ll do maple fretboards to save International shipping hassles.

Glazenn and Machiavelli like this.
  9. Dalbergia Latifolia is the scientific name for East Indian rosewood, it's a substitute for and looks like Brazilian rosewood and is now protected under CITES Appendix II (documentation is needed for export). Brazilian rosewood is under CITES Appendix I, the most restrictive category for endangered species.
    $_12.jpg

New CITES Regulations For All Rosewood Species
    Distinguishing Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian and Other Rosewoods | The Wood Database
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service note, read paragraphs 11-12: https://www.fws.gov/international/p...appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf

10. Lesblues

Lesblues

Jan 2, 2018
    I asked Thomann for clarification of the discrepancy between the photo and the description of the fretboard. They confirmed it is rosewood and that they will amend the website.

Glazenn likes this.
  11. Biga173rd

Biga173rd

Apr 18, 2004
    New York, NY
    Man that M2 looks sick and for the price it's a super steal!!

12. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    So..... I just impulse bought a transparent red V3, being shipped to NJ; $329 flat with the free shipping.

I'm anxious to hear/feel this compared to the V7. I'm stoked since it has the same preamp which in my opinion is the biggest star of this line to date, and I was jonesing for another Sire after letting mine go last year.

13. Just pre-ordered a 5-string V3 AWH...very excited but wondering whether to swap out the bridge for a Babicz FCH, or if the pickups are worth keeping or should be upgraded...? Or maybe I just wait for the thing to turn up and enjoy as is... :)

Biga173rd likes this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I highly recommend thoroughly checking it out stock first so you can tell us all about it! Change whatever you want after we get the review! lol :D

lowdownthump, Biga173rd and AG42 like this.
  15. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    That red looks stunning. But I am somewhat biased.

16. WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    Anxious Update:

Just realized these are for preorder and I'm moving to CA in the next month or so. It will be interesting to see when they ship and where I'll be at that time.

17. Delivery is due sometime after mid March so yes I'll happily review it!

Joe Murray and bholder like this.
  18. WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    ....Well. According to the UPS shipping notification I just got, she’s slated to arrive 2/28.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Btw @AG42 This was not meant to be a contrarian post to yours or anything of the like- Just sharing that my order looks like it might be arriving sooner than expected!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  19. Biga173rd

Biga173rd

Apr 18, 2004
    New York, NY
    You pretty much just bought the preamp and the bass is the added bonus.

Glazenn likes this.
  20. Biga173rd

Biga173rd

Apr 18, 2004
    New York, NY
    Please do a review and post photos before any mods. Thanks

AG42, DrummerwStrings and RayzorBass like this.