1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire V7 or P7?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogdays, Apr 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    Serious GAS attack going on here. $600 burning a hole in my pocket, and I want a Sire. I've heard lots of good things about both of these guys. Have a chance to pick up a month-old 5-string P7 locally for $500. Which way to go?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    The title asks V7 or P7, but thread asks P7 or M7... so which is it?

Since every M7 is above $600, I'm going to assume you meant P7 or V7.

Depending on which P7 the local sale is, it's not a good deal. You can get any of the 4 string Alder versions for $500 brand new, $600 for the Ash versions. Personally I'd rather have new than used for $100 difference - Especially if the warranty isn't transferable.

As for V7 or P7, it depends what you like. Just like a Fender Jazz and Precision, they're two totally different beasts. Personally I love PJ basses and dislike the Jazz style body, so I'd choose the P7.

dogdays likes this.
  3. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    thanks much for your feedback Bob. it's a 5-string but i'm not sure yet if the warranty is transferable.
    i' ve done a lot of research and i like the sound and versatility of the P7. i guess i just didn't want to wait for a couple of months, but probably smarter to do that and buy new. thanks again.

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've had 5 Sire's. 3 V7's, 1 P7, and 1 M7. All purchased used. I currently have 1 ash V7 and 1 ash P7. Both 5 strings.

$500 is a great price for a used ash 5 string P7 if in great condition. They will sell all day for as much as $650 or more used. They are hard to find on the used market.

I really like both the V7 and P7 but prefer the P7 body style. At home I like the sound of the V7 more but in the mix live prefer the thump of the P7.

Both are great though.

Here's my twins.

E24CDA26-B32D-46B5-B49F-7AAC73CBA447.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    I'd say P7 but only because I already have two V7s. Tough decision but a great choice either way.