Sire V7 tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winge, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Winge

Winge

Oct 28, 2019
    Any advise on how to make v7 2nd gen sound punchier? 1st gen has more punch and growl in my observation. Would you recommend bass drivers like(sansamp, aguilar, etc.) or what?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    To me, "punch" means presence in the mids, try bumping the mids a bit up and tweak the mids frequency knob to find the spot...

CameronJohnson, DwaynieAD and Winge like this.
  3. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Playing in passive mode with my beloved Tone hammer worked for me. I had three Sire 1st gen. basses.

Winge likes this.
  4. Winge

Winge

Oct 28, 2019
    How's the tone hammer doing for your sire? I find it that 1st gens has more growl than the 2nd. Or is it just me? Lol

5. Winge

Winge

Oct 28, 2019
    Thanks man! Will try. Hmm from 0 or 12 o'clock? Or what levels do you suggest?

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well it's such a matter of taste, hard to say, but I'm guessing "punch" means "some extra mids", maybe try nudging both the sweep and boost / cut to the "PM" side past the 12 o'clock detente? You'll have to fiddle around to see what gives that sound you're looking for though, I'm just guessing. But try boost at 2pm and start sweep freq there too, vary the sweep freq until you find the "sweet spot" then fiddle with boost / cut again. The "cut" side is very powerful, too, can create a sharp "mid scoop" that some like for slap (if I understand, I can't slap to save my life).

Winge likes this.
  7. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Like said, very well, passive mode with Aguilar TH worked great. I dont know about 2nd gen, never tried them. Tone Hammer is my "go to" pre/DI with just every bass I play.

Winge likes this.
  8. Winge

Winge

Oct 28, 2019
    I see. How bout in active mode? Coz I'm thinking of buying an Aguilar TH or Sansamp. Can't decide haha i guess i'll go for TH haha

9. Winge

Winge

Oct 28, 2019
    Alright!! Thank you

10. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Active mode aint bad but aguilar has much cleaner, musical and overall usable eq. As for sansamp l personally dislike it but your preference and taste might be different.

11. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    I find punch comes from the amp/cab setup. I chased that dragon for years buying pedals or pick ups......my mesa boogie subway amp has lots of punch with my sire p7.

One Way and Winge like this.
  12. First reply nails it. Look no further. Them pedals you suggest are going to scoop your mids and have even less punch

bholder likes this.
  13. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Wrong

14. Winge

Winge

Oct 28, 2019
    Yeah i saw some using noble pedals and they sound greater. (expensive tho) haha. And i saw some review that TH also boost the natural tones of bass if im correct

15. Winge

Winge

Oct 28, 2019
    How did some pickups and pedal did? What did you use? Nice amp by the way :)

mexicant likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021