1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire V7- vintage or standard differences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Richard Mac, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Richard Mac

Richard Mac

Jun 16, 2018
    Hi,

So I’m thinking of picking up my first 5 string after always playing 4s.

After several recommendations and advice I’ve settled on a Sire V7.

They’re exceptionally well priced and look incredible and I don’t want to spend a fortune until I know that I enjoy playing 5 string- the ultimate goal if I do will be purchasing a Spector Euro 5LX but not just yet!

I know the fundemenal differences between the vintage and standard models, in terms of the physical differences but I’m not sure how that affects tone, feel etc.

Does anyone have experience with these and could give me their opinions?

My first decision is whether to go with the vintage or standard?

My second decision is whether to go swamp ash with maple neck OR Alder with Rosewood neck?

If anyone could explain how these choices would affect the play, tone, sound etc that would be great.

Thank you.

2. I don’t own either one but I will be in your situation someday trying to figure out which one to get....

There are a few uTube videos on this....

Hope this helps!

BTW... I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Richard Mac and blen dem like this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In looking at the photos I noticed black blocks on the Vintage and also the pickups are placed in the 70's position. White blocks and 60's pickup position on the standard.

4. Richard Mac

Richard Mac

Jun 16, 2018
    Yeah I wasn’t sure what effect the pickup positioning would have on the tone and also whether the different woods would have a ‘noticable’ Effect on the tone and feel of the bass. Shame no where near me stocks them or I’d go and play before buying

5. V7: PUs are like 60s models; Vintage is like 70s with bridge pickup further towards bridge... suppose to give a punchier sound.

Found a nice explanation that might help. See the second post in this thread (click here):

6. Richard Mac

Richard Mac

Jun 16, 2018
    Mate this has helped me no end, thank you for taking the time to direct me to this. I read the website FAQ but this thread has the effect of the differences rather than just listing what is different!

Do you by any chance know whether the body and neck wood material really makes that much of a difference? I know they say about the low mids on Alder and high mids on Ash but is it really noticable in a live setting?

Ps. Do you own one?

7. Hey, cool that this is helpful Richard Mac.

I do not own a V7, but I will someday!

I do have a Sire P7 4 string and I absolutely love it... it surpassed all expectations... sounds great, plays great, looks great, I just love it. My friends can’t believe the price when I show it to them...

I had reservations buying a bass I never played, but they went away when I got my grubby paws on my P7! Mine is the Alder version. From what I have read, the wood type doesn’t have a great impact on the sound.

Found another good vid.... listen with headphones. I think I like one over the other in this one.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Richard Mac likes this.