Sire V7 VS Fender American Performer VS Santberg California II TT4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yury, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Yury

Yury

Jul 11, 2015
    Riga, Latvia
    Hi Guys! Need your advice. I'm looking for jazz bass as a second bass (my first bass is Fender Precision American Standard). The budget is 500-1100 EUR. Sire V7, Fender American Performer Jazz Bass, Santberg California II TT4 may fit into this budget.
    Sire is a good bass but having so many knobs scares me. Performer Jazz Bass sounds great, but still is a cheaper version of Am Pro. I have never played on Santberg basses but I heard very good reviews about them.
    There is also Fender Vintera series, but I don't want to spend 900-1000 EUR for Mexican bass. I would like to buy a good bass in terms of investing money. Any ideas?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I like Sire, no secret, but I find it odd that a bass from Indonesia is ok but one from Mexico is not.

The Sire controls look intimidating at first but are really not so bad to learn.

image2.jpg

Mili, mexicant and Yury like this.
  3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Oh and leave it passive and you only have volume, tone, and balance to master.

Yury likes this.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Sire V7 is a fantastic swiss army knife
    Fender US performer is a John Rambo proper Green Berets survival knife
    Sandberg is no more than a welldone (german;)) "californian wannabe"

Cheers,
    Wallace

Yury and mdogs like this.
  5. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Olympic Peninsula
    The Sandberg will easily be the best of the bunch, IMHO...
    Followed by the Fender...

Yury likes this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I can't speak for the Sandberg, though I hear good things, though I strongly believe the Sire is a far better bargain than any Fender under $1500. Even the American ones, yeah. Don't believe me, just try one yourself.

Yury likes this.
  7. joel406

joel406 Inactive

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    B00EEF39-50FB-488A-BC75-5306EF73A384.jpeg
    I did try one. Not sure what model but it was a fiver and looked really nice. The tech who was working on it wasn’t happy. Several colorful metaphors were used and the term POS was tossed around. He let me give it a spin. I gave it five min and gave it back. Thanked him and heeded his warning. And I am the proud owner of two MIA Jazz Basses. They play, sound and feel like home.

Buy what you want.

I’m happy.

B00EEF39-50FB-488A-BC75-5306EF73A384.jpeg

el jeffe bass, Yury and FRoss6788 like this.
  8. Yury

Yury

Jul 11, 2015
    Riga, Latvia
    Thank you guys! I heard that the V7 has a bad balance, the neck is falling down....uncomfortable playing on it while standing. It's true?
    Speaking of sound... what is a difference between V7 and V7 Vintage. V7 Vintage has more punchy sound while V7 has warm sound?

9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I've owned 5 Sire basses, all 5 string. I've never had an issue playing any of them standing. I currently own a P7 and V10, and they balance fine. I've owned the Vintage V7 and V7. I did like the bite of the VV7 of the V7.

10. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I'm a proud owner of a Sire 2nd Gen V7 and love it. It is built solid, great components, killer tone, wonderful features and has served me well in many gigs and has gotten many compliments. However.....

You say you want to buy in terms of, "investing money" so here's my take:

1. Sire - Well built bass, not pretentious, sounds good, great to own and gig, you'll probably be able to sell it at around a $50-$100 loss. You buy it to own, play, and enjoy...or sell at a slight loss.

2. Fender - Paying more for the name, get more for the name in resale. I own and have owned several Fenders from Custom Shop to MIM, good ones are classics, but they are not anything more special or magical than any other brand in terms of quality, tone, or play-ability. BUT, the name does have an aura to it, like it or not.

3. Sandburg - Don't know much about these. They look cool and sound nice in the vids I've seen. Probably aren't as sound of an investment as the Fender.

All three basses should impress you and play/sound great. The Fender is more of the investment piece due to it's name, but that doesn't make it sound, feel, or look better.

I'm a bit of a value focused minded shopper and am always more impressed by value-priced basses that go well beyond their price (Sire, Yamaha, etc.) than someone who gets caught up in the name game. I've sold three Custom Shop Fenders and gigged Squiers, I owned a Fender Elite Jazz for about 5 minutes and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth 4 times my Sire, and sold off two EBMM basses for the same reason.

I think investment leads to Fender for you though. Happy hunting!

ColdEye and Yury like this.