Sire vs G&L vs Fender P basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vbassmang, Jul 22, 2021.

1. vbassmang

vbassmang

Jul 22, 2021
    Hey there, it's my first time posting on Talkbass and it's because I think it's time for me to get my second professional level bass. I've been playing for quite a few years now initially playing through high school on an entry level ibanez but once it was time to go to uni I got a sire M7 and it's been great for gigging and recording, I absolutely love it.

However, visually it's not the most versatile and I'm always told I should get a P bass. I've been hankering for a second bass that's of good enough quality to record and reliably gig with so it makes to start looking at P's. Obviously Fenders are the first starting point but I really hate the look of the new player series and I don't want to pay more than £800 so I've been looking at three basses.

My top choice currently is the G&L sb-2 tribute (looked at the lb-100 but it was too heavy), and then the sire p7 and a second-hand fender active deluxe precision is a close second. I'm looking for something that is versatile and easy to play, but can easily get that classic P sound. Any recommendations and thoughts on the basses? What are people's thoughts on the basses?

If it helps, while these aren't necessary criterias, I would quite like either a PJ, or a five-string, or ideally a five-string PJ.

jee820 likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    SB-2T.
    The others are completely off the radar.
    852770a5709ac857b52636304a551f32.jpg
    Yes, I know this is a USA-made G&L, but the stacked knob tone option is an easy mod.

Jim C, Kukulkan61, jeff7bass and 4 others like this.
  3. vbassmang

vbassmang

Jul 22, 2021
    Do you find you use the tone knob much? Either way I'd be looking to mod in a tone knob and maybe make the other knob a push pull kill switch but I also want something that's good to go straight out of the box. Gorgeous bass by the way!

4. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Well, nothing under 1000 is going to be a professional level instrument. But...

Go with a sire. Cost/quality will be much higher than anything else you could look at new.

Or, look around for a used American

jee820 likes this.
  5. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    Yamaha BB734 or BB735 - If its not on your radar then put it on the top of your list.
    Active and Passive, PJ, Lightweight. $750 price range. Blows others out of the water.

do some research and you will find that while not as popular here, anyone anywhere will tell you how outstanding Yamaha is.

Also, its under $1000 and is used by touring pro's - Peter Hook and Jack Bates come to mind

Bassaga, Robot.G, Mike Sorr and 6 others like this.
  6. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Umm... Yeah nah.

Anything that doesn't fall to pieces can be a "professional level instrument" if the biped playing it decides so.

But I digress.

OP, I'll second the above Yamaha suggestion. Even lower tier BB's are solid choices. However, I do get that looks affect opportunities. Sire and G&L are top choices and closer to the original than the Yammies.

Me personally, I'd go for a fender. Specifically, I'd fork over more for the Vintera or even more for an Am. Performer. But if fender doesn't rock your boat, G&L. I can't deal with the 20mm string spacing on the Sire which would require me to swap out the bridge from the get go.

For a five string PJ I'd go for the Yamaha if looking the part isn't that big of a deal for you.

Extra suggestion from me would be the higher tier Ibanez Talman. Cheaper and yet, very solid choice.

7. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This comes in at just under $1,000.
    It's right up there with my USA-made L2000s.
    As for P-bass pickups, this has a super P-bass pickup, and that's not a mere Jazz pickup at the bridge, either.
    Passive, pure and potent.
    I wouldn't trade it for anything Fender's currently making.
    FB-IMG-1620428926056.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Billyzoom, SJan3, Ks68jazz and 5 others like this.
  8. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Oooh yes! This bass always makes me a bit tingly in weird places. Too bad they're so rare (and quite a bit more expensive) over here.

FRoss6788 and jd56hawk like this.
  9. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I was totally unaware of the Thundergun only a few years ago.
    It's not something you see hanging up at Guitar Center or Sam Ash.
    Saw one at a local store that just happens to carry Reverend.
    I had a Thunderbird on layaway and went there to pay it off. The staff was busy that day so I decided to take a look around and saw a Gunmetal Thundergun hanging on the wall. Picked it up, plugged it in, and knew within five minutes that I had to have it.

Gothic likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Personally, I think the L2K (or really any G&L) blows almost any P out of the water. The build quality is superb on the USA models, no experience with the tributes. I bought my L2K in 1983, and I've never had a single issue (other than a regrettable self-inflicted preamp frying incident, less said the better). The neck is the most stable wood neck I own, the stainless frets are still original, and the finish held up well considering how hard I beat on it. It has the old headstock and 3-bolt neck design with tilt screw, which I literally never had to use. Leo Fender knew his sh*t.

Ks68jazz, JRA, Grizelda100 and 7 others like this.
  11. Another vote for the Yamaha BB735a. Genuinely phenomenal basses for a very agreeable price. I owned one a while back for around a year and only sold it due to needing the funds. I’d happily own (and gig) another.

Failing that, the Sires are very well regarded and their preamps in particular have received high praise from pretty much everyone who’s played them.

Nunovsky likes this.
  12. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    I don't think you can go wrong with the suggestions above. Personally, I have rarely bought basses new, you can get much more value from looking at used instruments. For £800 (~$1,100) you can get a professional-level bass new, or a much nicer bass used.

jee820 and Justinian like this.
  13. Killer Bee

Killer Bee

Jul 23, 2021
    I can't speak for the Sire, but between the G&L and the Fender there's really not a right choice. In that price range, the G&L will be a better built instrument. However, I had one a few years ago that I eventually sold because I felt I couldn't quite get the classic P sound out of it. The MFD pickup in there is incredibly hot, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's noticeably different from a Fender P pickup. I would listen to some demos and go with whatever your ear likes.

To throw a wrench in things, I will also highly recommend the Yamaha BB 734/5. I have the BBP35 and am just very impressed by it in every way. There are some session cats that use them, as well as some rock guys. Again, there is no wrong answer here, it is entirely up to your preference. Happy hunting!

14. Just a few questions: What is visually versatile about a PB as opposed to your bass. Secondly, you said you bass is great for recording. That means that it must sound good. If it sounds good on a recording, why would your band mates think you need a PB? Could it be you amp isn’t up to scratch?

I’ve been playing Fenders for almost 50 years. Currently a P . It’s a definitive sound, but it isn’t the only sound you might find pleasing.

My advice is trust your ears, but make sure it’s a good quality well built instrument first, and finally, if you had to sell it, you likely will get back close to what you paid for it.,

Jim C likes this.
  15. Justinian

Justinian

May 7, 2015
    NC
    I got my Hohner b-bass for $400, solid as anything Cort ever released, and it has a d-tuner bridge. It’s a shame they don’t make basses with those kind of features in that price range anymore.

Drucifer likes this.
  16. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    +1 for the Yamaha BB734/5 bass. Proud owner of a 735 here!

17. vbassmang

vbassmang

Jul 22, 2021
    To be honest, I know I'm being silly but I know I like the feel and sound of the Yamahas but I just do not enjoy how they look and if I'm parting ways with a few hundred pounds I'd rather get something that I feel looks nice in my hands

Stu L. likes this.
  18. vbassmang

vbassmang

Jul 22, 2021
    I think the L-2000 is something I'll need to get in the future (sounds amazing) but I want something without humbuckers. Both my first two basses were humbuckers so I just want something a bit visually different

20. vbassmang

vbassmang

Jul 22, 2021
    I was leaning towards the SB just because I already have a sire m7 and want to try different brands and I love the power it had when I tried it in store but was worried it wouldn't work in a band setting. How did you find it when playing along other musicians?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022