Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sirius

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimmyM, Dec 24, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got my Sirius radio today! It's a Sirius One, which is their cheapo model. I have some thoughts on it.

--The idea is great but the implementation needs work. Having to run an antenna out from my front door up into a tree is ridiculous, IMHO. There should be a better way of antenna implementation. Like maybe a wireless antenna.

--The sound needs some work. Terrestrial radio just plain sounds better. Sirius seems to have some distortion in the music, and the talk stations other than Howard 100 sound like AM.

--You can buy one Sirius transmitter and use the FM on every radio in your house to pick it up. This is especially great.

--Even with its faults, it's great. Pretty much any kind of music you want is represented. Elvis and Bruce Springsteen have their own channels. And they have their own live concerts. As for talk, it's great. They have a left wing and a right wing channel. They have an all-comedy channel where they play selections from old comedy albums and monologues from newer comics. Martha Stewart has her own channel.

And of course, Sirius is the new home of Howard Stern starting January 9. Us Howard fans finally get to hear the radio show he envisioned when he first started.

People balk at the price, but at 40c a day, it's really a pretty good value. I just hope they don't go the way of cable and start sticking it to us once we get accustomed to it.

2. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    How much was it? Some time before Howard's new show goes live, I plan on picking one up.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    $50 with a $20 rebate at Radio Shack, $10 activation fee, and $12.95 a month, though I got a free month by choosing a year subscription.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Considering what one suffers with 'commercial' FM, any channels that will give you uninterrupted variety is worth the expense.

I spend so much time button pushing it ridiculous.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know what you mean by "distortion" on the music. Mine sounds great...even better than FM. It only cuts out when I go under a big bridge or into a parking garage. Other than that, I love it and can't wait for Howard!

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I haven't listened to traditional FM for years, I listen to Music Choice on cable in the house, and CDs in the truck. I may have to give this a shot.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Masher, I get a small amount of harmonic distortion in the midrange on mine. I've been reading up on it, and if you don't use the FM, they claim it works better. But then you're limited to what radio you can use it with, and I'll put up with a little distortion so I can use it in every room of the house.

BTW, I hear that Canada won't allow Howard to be broadcast on Sirius in Canada, and I heard that many Canadians are visiting the US and buying Sirius radios to register them in the US, then taking them back to Canada so they can hear Howard, too. Hard to believe that in this day and age, a non-Arab country practices censorship so blatantly.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Up until Howard made the Sirius announcement, I would have gotten XM, too. But the Howard announcement sealed the deal for me.

Mike, you like talk radio? There's one really good show on XM's Hot Talk station called the Philips Phile. It originates from Orlando, and it's really funny.

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love my Sirius. I don't hear any distortion with it, but maybe I'm just less sensitive. I'll never go back to terrestrial radio... it's so worth the money to hear so many things you'd never come into contact with otherwise.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hey, do I just need an XM ready reciever? or do I need some extra hardware outside of the XM control, antenna, etc... ?

12. JimmyM, isn't the Sirius One designed for in-car only? Some of the other models have a home-kit that allows you to use it in the house too but not that model. That could be the issue. How are you powering yours inside?

Jeff

13. +1, although I have XM satellite radio.

Congrats to all who have taken the plunge and gotten satellite radio. I don't know how anyone can listen to regular radio anymore.

BTW, my radio sounds so unbelievably clear & crisp. It doesn't have deafening volume, but who needs that anyway?

I may get the home receiver one of these days.

Mike

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    How is the sound quality on Sirius? How about compared to XM? I was listening in a friends car today after he activated (receive was re-broadcasting to FM) and it sounded like hightly compressed mp3s. I could really hear artifacts in the trebble, like on acoustic guitars or drum cymbols. Annoying!

I generally don't listen to mp3s for that reason, I stick with Ogg Vorbis.