1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sister wants everything handed to her part 2.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Captain Chaos, Jan 9, 2017.

1. So this is the continuation of last years thread when my sister wanted a new car and got it from dad.

Their family got bigger and now they moved in with us. I love my nephew and all but I can't take it anymore, I'm not working 60 hours a week to come to my house and see this douchebag sitting there and enjoy all the things I'm working hard for or cater to his kid from a previous relationship.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So why did you let them move in?

3. Sister had an argument with her mother in law like usual....then she just goes back after 2 days. And I was like ok...until her husband moved in to my surprise.

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah this will only go as far as you let it. Tough love time. End of story.

If the crap hit the fan I would literally take a bullet for my brother. That's if the mafia was after him.

If he just made years of bad decisions I would pay rent for a month and give him some not so nicely worded advice.

She did this. Sorry, THEY did this.

You are giving them a fish. Teach them to fish and let them go get their own (enter ugly word here) boat.

Tbone76, Munjibunga, JLY and 4 others like this.
  5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I can't agree with this enough. I'd be willing to help, but there would be absolute terms to what I'd do and for how long... and with the history as laid out by OP, it wouldn't be for long at all.

Tbone76, RED J and jmattbassplaya like this.
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ...and I wouldn't even care if they knew how to fish or could find a boat. They've had years to get it together and haven't, IMO they won't until forced to. May your force be with them.

My sister-in-law tried to pull this about ten years ago. I told her she could bring the kids for as long as necessary, but she was limited to two months and her husband wasn't welcome at all. She never moved in.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    SirMjac28, pacojas and RED J like this.
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'd talk to the wife now and let her know the deal. They are family, but they need to learn to fend for themselves.

Munjibunga and bolophonic like this.
  8. They can't and they won't fend for themselves. 6 months ago sister thought she needed an iphone 7 or whatever current model they have now so the iphone 5 she had back then suddenly "broke." She threw a fit and they "agreed" into a family plan with my dad in which they would pay for their share. My dad tells me the same story every day how he has a $400 a month cellphone bill.

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

It's not easy to turn your back on a child. Had to tell my son to walk when he was 19-years-old. It was the right thing to do but also one of the most difficult things I have ever done. My wife and I both cried when the door shut behind him.
    That said, I think you should just tell them to move to Flippin, Arkansas.

10. When did the term freeloaders go out of fashion?

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is cut someone loose and hope for the best. I've had to do it a few times and it's a very hard thing to do with family, but sometimes it's your only option.

12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Failure to launch. Help for a specified period of time, Then bye bye. I've dealt with this twice under very different circumstances. When in laws are involved, it can be really sticky. Drawing a line in the sand is their only hope to grow up, Only you can choose not to have your life ruined along with theirs.

13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Then your dad shares the blame.

Am I picking up that you also live in the house with mom and dad? Or did the sister move into YOUR house?

14. sorry to say this about your family, but you have a parasite on your hands
    it will be very difficult to get rid of them, and next time they're down on their luck, or whatever excuse, remember how difficult it was to get rid of them this time around

I've known couples that literally moved out of their rented home to get away from their parasitic relatives

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  15. No, my parents are separated. I live with my mom and lil siblings.

16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So the sister moved in with you guys or dad?

17. She moved in with us.

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    burn the "WELCOME" mat and leave it there! it will appeal to their sub conscience, imo.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

OK, one more question. How old are you?

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I don't know how old you are and know nothing about the situation but since you seem to have a time consuming job, I assume you have money.
    It may be time for you to spread your wings and fly away to brighter skies, less crowded by cuckoos.