Sit back, relax, and have a homebrew

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rodent, Mar 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    break out that charismatic spoon and share about about what you have going on, whether it be

- a batch in planning/fermentation/conditioning
    - a new piece of homebrew gear you're gassing over
    - some aspect of homebrewing that you recently solved or had a eureka moment on
    - a recipe you've brewed recently that you've finally tweaked to perfection. could be anything from extract to all-grain. bonus points for sharing your recipe here

no worrying allowed in this thread - that's for the commercial guys who answer to the marketing team and develop a new recipe only after the marketing campaign has had the budget approved ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    the harp unstrung likes this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  3. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    saw those Mike, but am hoping to kick-off a thread that has more technical content than just a hang of homebrewers chillin with a cold one.

MJ5150 likes this.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Admittedly, I gave up on homebrewing when I moved to Wisconsin. Coals to Newcastle. ;)

the harp unstrung likes this.
  5. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    OP edited to include recipe sharing

6. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I'll share a recipe I've done multiple times now. It's one I've tweaked from a Yeti clone recipe I found on the web

Russian Imperial Stout
    Type: all-grain
    Batch size: 5.5 gallon
    Boil size: 9 gallon
    End of boil volume: 6.25 gallon
    Mash efficiency: 60%
    Pre-boil OG: 1.090
    Final OG: 1.015
    Est ABV: 9.5%

19lb 12oz 2-row Pale Malt
    11oz Crystal 120L
    10oz Rye, flaked
    10oz Wheat, flaked
    8oz Roasted Barley (300 SRM)
    8oz Black patent Malt (500 SRM)
    8oz Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
    1.5oz Chinook (13%) @60min
    .75oz Chinook (13%) @30min
    .65oz Centennial (10%) @15min
    .65oz Centennial (10%) @5min
    Imperial 'Darkness' yeast (2 packs)

mash at 152F for 60min with 1/3 boil size, add grain absorption water, vorlauf, then drain to boil kettle
    sparge 2x additional times with remaining 1/3 of boil volume
    boil 9 gallons down to volume needed for a 60min boil, then begin hop additions per schedule

ferment at 67F for 1 week then rack to secondary and continue at 67F until fermentation is complete
    rack to corny keg, force carb 12.5PSI @45F
    condition for a minimum of 6ish weeks

this kept getting better with each passing day. I targeted a 6 month age to hit its peak, but never got past the 9 week mark before the keg blew

pie_man_25 and hbarcat like this.
  7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I got into homebrewing in 1986 at age 18.

Dove in head first into all grain and kegging and was brewing 10 - 15 gallons per month.

Had to give it up in 2007 when I moved into a micro size apartment with no stove and no room for brewing equipment.

But now I have a different arrangement and am getting back into it but doing only about one 5 gallon batch a month.

I only do ales (no lagers) and mostly porters or stouts. Usually, I alternate between a simple recipe with around 5% ABV, and a complex beer that's higher in alcohol.

This is my favorite recipe:

RASPBERRY IMPERIAL STOUT

12 lbs Maris Otter malted barley
    3.3 lbs Muntons dark malt extract syrup
    2 lbs crystal malt
    ¾ lb roasted barley
    ⅓ lb chocolate malt
    ⅓ lb black malt
    3 lbs red raspberries
    4 oz. East Kent Goldings hops bittering
    1 oz Cascade hops flavor
    Wyeast London Ale liquid yeast

Mash at 152F
    Boil 90 mins
    Cascade hops last 12 minutes
    Add frozen raspberries in a brew bag while wort is still hot

This beer needs to age at least 6 months.

I'm a victim of the popularity of this beer with my friends. I usually get to drink only about 2 gallons out of every 5.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    pie_man_25 likes this.
  8. My grandparents have been growing some wine grapes in their garden. Couldn't tell you what variety, but they're white. They ended up giving me some. So I took those and mixed them with some wild grapes I picked off of some vines just north of where I live. Now I've got a half gallon of this stuff with some champagne yeast bubbling away.

As far as identifying plants goes, I had a few summer jobs working on vineyards, tending to plants, so when I see the plants I'm absolutely certain that they're grapes. These ones were pretty good, I think, as well. My grandparents white grapes were fairly tart and not too big. These red ones were smaller, and still tart but definitely sweeter. Very deep in colour, as well.

technical stuff, I know. We've been doing this stuff since before agriculture, so I kinda like to get creative with it and see what happens sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I love seeing people get creative like this.

I used to enjoy making wine while refusing to follow the "rules" of winemaking.

I grew my own Concorde grapes, steeped them at 170F to "pasteurize" them before pitching the yeast, and never used any additives like sugar adjuncts, sanitizers, finings, acid, yeast nutrients, etc.. I also used 20oz swing top beer bottles and left the yeast in because I like yeast in my beer and wine.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    pie_man_25 likes this.
  10. Gotta do something with 'em!

That said, with stuff like this it tends to sit around long enough, IME, that the yeast falls out of suspension and you can just pour out a crystal clear wine anyways.

I dunno, I just saw a bunch of them and thought, "I know what those are, let's try this out." The mixture was so dark, and I had two 40 oz bottles but enough grapes to fill one, so I got a half pound of honey, watered that down enough to fill the second and mixed it with the grape juice, hopefully it doesn't water down the stuff too badly, but it's still really dark.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    hbarcat likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022