1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SIT Dave Ellefson SIT Power Wounds vs. DA XL-170-5's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Jan 15, 2012.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm looking for a punchy bright nickel plated string that is very smooth feeling, for my new Sterling 5HH. I like the XL's but the description/hype on the DE SIT's has got me wonderin'.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I have never used the Dave's signature SIT's but I have used XL's. XL's aren't exactly "smooth" to me. DR strings are much smoother IMO.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Sunbeams. Nuff said.

4. 59jazz

Ok......so how do the Sunbeams compare in feel, tension, brightness, clarity & punch to the DA XL's? I favor very little neck relief and low action on my 5r's.

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Compared to XL's, Sunbeams have less tension, smoother feel, more punch, more clarity, about the same brightness, and last 3 times as long. Getting low action is more up to you and your bass. Sunbeams are wound on a round core and are just a pleasure to play.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm also a fan of the Low Riders. They're wound on a hex core and called "low riders" because you can slam your saddles with them.

7. 59jazz

Thanks for the solid info gents! I mostly use TI flats and Roto Swings on my P basses, Chromes on everything else and DA Hybrids on my upright. I don't want to get into another costly string search with this bass that's new to me. Sunbeams sound like they might work.......after reading some more reviews, the Fodera nickels also sound like they may fit the bill.

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Fodera's will be similar to the DR's especially Sunbeams. Same type of windings with round cores.

If you buy from Welcome to Bass Strings Online - Your Custom Bass String Shop..., he has all the brands mentioned in this thread. You can sign up as a VIP, and the owner is a tb member too. Best customer service around. :)

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Me and Mad think alike :)

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Likes the way you guys think!

And yes, Sunbeams vs Fodera Nickel similar in construction... Round Core, same concept with the windings where the outer windings are smaller diameter, although they have their own sound qualities that sets them apart.

Fodera has a few more gauges available as well.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com

You know I was thinking of another set that would fit this description on the topic of SIT's...

SIT Nickel Rock Brights: .045 .065 .080 .100 .125

13. 59jazz

So what you're saying is....Sunbeams are very smooooth, punchy, clear, warm, and are compression wound? Can they growl in the low mids?

Thanks for your advice guys!

14. 59jazz

Jason has been kind enough to reply to my inquiries....I will be buying from him instead of Just Strings and ebay.

15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I would say Low Riders have a more pronounced low mid than Sunbeams. IME

Jason is the man.

16. 59jazz

Just one more question guys.......EB Power Slinkys are on the bass now, the feel is a bit coarse and they are quite taught. How do the nickel Lowriders compare in feel/smoothness and tension?
    Thanks for all your help!