1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sit down before you read this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer95, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    *Cue "Jaws" music*

See, here's the thing...I'm thinking about buying for look vs. tone. BUT (almost) everything I've read on here, tells me to do otherwise. (buy for tone, not looks). BUT as a LEFTY, I don't have the LUXERY of liking a tone and liking a color. You righties have all the fun! 'Cause ya know what I get? Black! and MAYBE sunburst, IF I'm lucky!

HOWEVER, I HAVE found a bass I've fallen in love with based on looks. The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. It's, I believe, all maple with 70's pups.

Now you're thinking well great, what's the freak's problem? My problem is that I'm just not sure if a maple neck will get me the "metal" tone I'm striving for. I'm talking bite your tongue, rip your face off metal. Chelsea Grin, Slipknot, Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, etc.

Also, the pups. I read a review where someone said 70's pups aren't good for metal. Can someone comment on that? Maybe some sound clips of a 70's j in a heavy setting?

Breaking it down: I've heard a lot of jazz basses do just fine in metal setting, I wanna know about this particular bass. Or atleast a bass with these specs. So, yeah. Will a MAPLE neck and 70's pups work for my brand of metal?(Listed above)

Thanks so much for your time guys.

-Micah:bassist:

2. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Having a maple neck with jazz pup's, the best reference tone wise would be some Rush tunes. If you want more meat on your tone you can always run the pup's in series, that way they will have a more pbass-esque tone. The pup's are not "70's", just some generic ones (the Duncan Designed are made overseas).

Also, the bass is not a true 70's, because it doesn't have the 70's pickups spacing, it has the traditional one:
    Compare the Geddy Lee (70's spacing) http://www.fender.com/es-CL/products/search.php/?partno=0257702300

With a Standard (Traditional or 60's spacing) http://www.fender.com/es-US/products/search.php?prodNo=014620

A Jazz Bass is very versatile tone wise, and you can always use some EQ.

What I would suggest: find a store and play the damn thing, if you like it, and can afford it, buy it! :hyper:

3. You can get crushing bass from that Jazz - Rounds and some dirt via B3k and you'll be knocking socks off. maple fretboard won't stop you - just not the right look for Slipknot

(That bassist from Slipknot was awesome - RIP.)

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Dude, get over it. You will never be able to tell the difference between the wood on the fretboard, especially once you are in the mix. Plenty of people use Jazz basses for metal.

5. Don't really have any good advice....but I would like to say that you're very good at drawing me in to a thread.

6. Is it okay to stand up now?

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Steve Harris made a career out of using a non-metal bass. And flats. My point is, get whatever you like & turn it out.
    Have you considered an ATK? They're affordable & come in maple lefty.

8. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    The only thing is those bands play mostly in drop tuning like drop c,b,a etc. You will need to get heavier strings. The maple neck won't have much to do with the tone. I personally don't really play with jazz pu's when dropped tuned. I usually use a bass with soapbars.

9. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    +1 Most people say it makes a difference. They're hearing electrical differences.
    Jazz basses are my favorite for metal, great tone.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I sat down for that???

Most people are sitting anyway while on their computer.

11. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    +1

12. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Martin Mendez

13. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I think you'll be just fine. IMHO, the Jazz has a way of just penetrating even the fuzziest wall of guitar noise, while still delivering a bit of thump and low-end. I say go for it!

14. +1

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If a blind bass player goes to one of your gigs and your bass looks better than it sounds, what difference will cosmetics make?

Look into what was used on the original versions of your favorite songs- there's a good chance that they used whatever they had or could get, not some designer idea of what looks good, or some generally "preferred" model with pickups from the "Super secret special sauce" company.

Find a bass that sounds good and change the color, if you want. Painting a body isn't that hard, but you need to make sure it's fully dry before using it. That means you may want to build one from parts- find a bass that sounds great, build a bass and make sure it's good acoustically, then put your electronics in it.

16. Seems you want extreme cutting and lots of backbone and if you got the Jazz, I'd just get the Series-Parallel into it and maybe some 500KΩ pots and mebbe use a .022uF cap and you should be golden.

S-P first though, and it may be the only thing you need,

17. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    This was the most clever "best bass for metal" thread I think I've ever read. Well played, sir.

18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1.

19. When it comes to 'metal' tone, the bass is one of the lowest factors.

EQ'ing<Amp/Pedals<Bass

20. ANY BASS will work just fine for metal. The question is, are you man enough? It's the magician, not the wand.....