1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SIT Power Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassclef112, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Recently I've found out about SIT Silencers and found them to be very much to my liking. So, I figured I'd give some of their other strings a shot and ordered several, including a set of Power Flats. I finally got around to putting them on one of my basses - a Warmoth Jazz loaded with DiMarzio J's.

Yesterday I had a gig and they had their first road test.

Wow!! I love them! I was using an Aguilar GS212 with and old GK800RB and it really sounded great. They sounded big, smooth and fat but were still very clear in the mix, lots of authority.

I usually use Chromes, but sometimes I find them a little too agressive for a flat. Great on some basses, not so much on others. I've tried DR's (eh), and LaBella's which aren't bad but they're pretty pricey. TI's are great strings but I cannot play them - way too soft for my touch, like playing rubber bands.

I'm very happy with these SIT's and at $16 a set they won't break the bank. I recommend you give them a try.

2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Anyone else using these?

Input? Zingy? I'm looking for a zingy but flatter than round string, and these seem like a bargain if they fit the bill.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I tried them once, just long enough to form the conclusion that they were the worst strings ever put on my bass. Incredibly stiff and inconsistent tone from string to string. Some were really bright, others were totally dead thump. They felt like you were playing a cheese grater too.

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Oof... Guess that's why they're on clearance.

Thanks for the response.