1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SIT Powerflat longevity?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 13, 2006.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've got a fairly new set of SIT Powerflats on my L2K right now, and I love the tone. How long should they last before they go dead on me? I don't play nearly as much as I should in case you wanted to mention that it depends on how much I play.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a set on my fretless 5 since late 2002. Granted it gets played very little anymore... but I do dust it off and playing at least monthly. for the last 2 years.

They settle in @ about 50-60 hours of playing for me... then sit nicely from then on. I haven't had a set 'go dead' on my yet.

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That's so great to hear! Man, did I score!! I bought this set a while ago and had them on a Jazz I owned at the time. I bought a G&L L2K that had some bright rounds on it. It sounded good, but the Powerflats give it such a nice middy thump and a beautifully well rounded tone. I'm stoked that they last that long!

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I ran a set of SITs powerflats for about a year on a p bass. I played about 5 hours a week on that bass and then sold it so i took off the flats and put on a cheaper set. I still have the flats and wouldnt hesitate to string them back up and play them again. I am a big SIT silencer user on both my 5 and 4 stringers so i really dont see me reusing them soon...the Silencers are sweet and hold up just as well.

5. I've had mine on my fretless for 6 or 7 months now, and they're still good. That is, for my tone. I do play a fretless, so I'm not into the bright-zingy sound. If you are, these are the wrong strings to begin with.