Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SIT Powerflat longevity?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I've got a fairly new set of SIT Powerflats on my L2K right now, and I love the tone. How long should they last before they go dead on me? I don't play nearly as much as I should in case you wanted to mention that it depends on how much I play.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a set on my fretless 5 since late 2002. Granted it gets played very little anymore... but I do dust it off and playing at least monthly. for the last 2 years.

They settle in @ about 50-60 hours of playing for me... then sit nicely from then on. I haven't had a set 'go dead' on my yet.

3. That's so great to hear! Man, did I score!! I bought this set a while ago and had them on a Jazz I owned at the time. I bought a G&L L2K that had some bright rounds on it. It sounded good, but the Powerflats give it such a nice middy thump and a beautifully well rounded tone. I'm stoked that they last that long!

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I ran a set of SITs powerflats for about a year on a p bass. I played about 5 hours a week on that bass and then sold it so i took off the flats and put on a cheaper set. I still have the flats and wouldnt hesitate to string them back up and play them again. I am a big SIT silencer user on both my 5 and 4 stringers so i really dont see me reusing them soon...the Silencers are sweet and hold up just as well.

5. I've had mine on my fretless for 6 or 7 months now, and they're still good. That is, for my tone. I do play a fretless, so I'm not into the bright-zingy sound. If you are, these are the wrong strings to begin with.