Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SIT Silencers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassbully43, Aug 11, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Anyone tryed them??????? whatya think of them?

2. I got some, and they were too short for my 35" bass. The winding on the E was close, maybe a half-inch short, so they might fit others, and for sure they'd fit any 34" instrument.

They felt like roundwounds with the outer winding made out of a smaller wire - smaller bumps, but still bumpy.

I liked the price, but I can't comment on the sound, since they didn't fit... :crying:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I used a set briefly (strung through body 34" scale). Nickel Rounds with a little smoother feel. OK strings but I prefer Stainless for my roundwounds.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I play the new d'addario Prosteels xls now. I like the tone but think they are a bit rough and noisy. I have had them on the bass for about 1 month and they are not getting much quieter. I like steel but know nickels are better on frets. I thought of trying the silencers since they are round wound but quiet. Since SIT is here in Akron i thought id ask how they are....funny thing is they are hard to find here :meh:

5. i have used them for a couple of years now. just switched one of my basses to ti flats. the sit brand is a great brand of strings. the silencers are a good bridge between a round wound and a flat. they still have some properties of exposed windings (the are compression wound) but don't have much fret noise because of the compression winding and because they are nickel. in my opinion they are a nicer brighter string than the ghs pressure wounds or the smith compressors. if you are looking for a smoother style string with less fret noise but still retains some of the brightness, they are wonderful strings. they do not have silk ends on the strings, if that is important to you. the quallity is top notch and i've had no problem with the several sets i used on different basses and have had none of the strings die on me. :D

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've got a set of these on one of my G&L SB-2s. The SB-2 is an interesting beast in that it has 2 volume controls (for the P-J pickups) and no tone control. Since the MFD pickups have plenty of highs and lows an SB-2 can get clanky with rounds and really have a lot of finger noise, zing and general harshness. And with no tone control you can't just turn the tone down a bit to take the edge off. But the Silencers do that for me - they get rid of the worst of the clank and zing but retain the lively sound of rounds. I like them.

I come close to putting them on my other SB-2 but I've got SIT Power flats (groundwounds) on it and they are excellent as well. A nice organic sound that retains some brightness and a tension I like (I went with the .100 E set after trying the .105 E set and finding them too stiff). I had TI Jazz Flats on that bass and while I liked the sound the lower tension wasn't working for me and I couldn't get any kind of slap-like sound to work for me with those (not knocking the TIJFs but they don't work for me).

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    No need to repeat what has already been said.

I have these strings on my Tribute L-2500 and my Fender. I just love the feel and sound of these strings.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    S I T STINGS ROCKS!!!!!

I like the silencers for fretless

:bassist:

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Gotta try them from all i read here. I like vintage tone with a bit of roundwound growl..but less noise than steel rounds.Still tryin to find them here in Akron. thanks :bassist:

10. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Then you'll like Silencers. I have them on my Glaub PJ & get exactly what you are looking for.

11. :cool: I tried them for a short while. They were OK, but I liked the D'Addario Half-rounds better. But I still prefer flats to any of them.

I had a set of SIT flats on one of my P-Basses for almost 2 years. They sounded great and felt great. I took them off this past weekend because the "E" was starting to corrode a lot between the pup and the neck. The "A" and "D" were also corroding but not as bad.

The only place I've ever been able to find SIT strings is through Juststrings.

12. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Found some finally here in rubber city. I slapped them on tuned up and like em alot. I will know more when i jack up my amp and hear them louder this week...thanks i think these are what i needed.

13. appler

appler Guest

Do the SIT Silencers have an acceptable slap tone? I don't slap much, but I do need an "okay" slap tone. Thanks in advance.

14. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have only had them on a couple of days and dont slap much but they do have a decent nickel slap tone.