1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SIT Silencers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by greywolf31, Mar 7, 2008.

1. greywolf31

greywolf31

Feb 13, 2006
    Western MA
    What is your opinion of SIT Silencers?

Does the "Technology" of how it's made make any real difference or is it a sales pitch?

Good, Bad, Indifferent?

How about, vs. other Flatwounds...

THX

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use SIT Silencers on occassion during studio sessions because they are warm but not to warm.

And if your fingers make squeaky noises, you wont get that sound with Silencers.

I am an SIT endorser but I mainly use a set of strings made by SIT that are not on the market yet.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Umm new strings coming out form SIT huh. I used to play nothing but silencers on my 4 and 5 stringers and loved them. Good roundwound sound bright but not too bright that break in well and last forever. They feel real nice on the fingers and as said here by Jauqo they are quiet noise wise. Another great thing is the price...try some.

Oh on the SIT flats..forget them i tryed them tension way to high and they are thumpy and too dead for me. Chromes all the way for me.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I have no clue at this point if and when they will be hitting the market. The strings are of a gauge that I had SIT do for me and I've been using them for a few years now but for what ever reason they have yet to hit the market.

The gauges are .110 .80 .60 .40 .30 .25

5. greywolf31

greywolf31

Feb 13, 2006
    Western MA
  6. iScott

iScott

Jun 13, 2007
    Decatur, GA
    Never heard of these strings before. What's the deal with them?

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I like Silencers and pretty much have Silencers or Power Flats on all my basses.

IMO Silencers are essentially roundwounds without the finger noise. The compression winding gets rid of that but otherwise they sound like rounds.

Power Flats are groundwound (rounds with the outer part ground off) so smooth to the touch but still brighter than true flats. I run these a gauge smaller than Silencers/roundwounds or they have too much tension for me. Similar to Chromes but a slightly different flavor.

For the most part these days I like the Power Flats best except when trying to exercise my nonexistant slap skills.

8. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    absolutely DID NOT LIKE the Silencers

installed & within the hour i cut the ball end & recycled.. ( very quick waste of $20 imo )

9. greywolf31

greywolf31

Feb 13, 2006
    Western MA
    Well, I am gonna give 'em a shot...

I ordered a set for my Killer B 5-string.

The way I figure it, I spend more than $25.00 on Starbucks in a week.
    Guess I'll just have to drink Folgers for a week and if they suck, oh well, not so bad.

Plan B = La Bella

=)

I'll keep you all posted...:bassist:

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    hey Dog, think ya could possibly offer some specifics... what didn't you like about them?

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Every one that I know who have had the chance to put a set of SIT Silencers on their bass, seemed to really like them.

12. I have just put a set on my Peavey RSB, active Audere preamp.
    They seem to be middle of the road on quality, but do sound good and feel good to play.
    Haven't broken them in yet, I have T1 flat on another bass that are much more silent than the SITs.
    The silencers have a good usable low mid-range that I like.
    I haven't decided if these will be permanent.

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Back when my Warwick had MEC electronics, I adored the Silencers. The smooth feel, the tension, the tone were amazing. Retained the growl while smoothing out the harsh highs. Even after months of use, the tone mellowed out like an old blanket. Now with Duncans on that bass, the Silencers are too boomy since those pups put out deeper lows. I've tried PowerWounds, PowerSteels, PowerFlats, and Silencers and the Silencers are IMO SIT's best string. Definitely have a nice plush feel and are not expensive. If SIT were to make a stainless steel Silencer, I'd be sold.

14. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    I just picked up a 98 Dolphin 4-string fretless and I want to put some good sounding rounds on there. The main two requirements I have are that they are low tension and have a good growl to them.
    I someone could tell me if they are high, medium or low tension that would be great. Thanks!!!
    Peace,
    Chris

15. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have found virtually all of the "groundwound" or "pressurewound" strings to feel higher in tension than the same gauge round. Perhaps the nature of the beast.

I liked GHS Pressurewound's version of the same idea a bit better than the Silencers. YMMV