Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SIT Silencers....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassman blue, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Just ordered a set of SIT Silencers...nickel inversion wound (pressurewounds..I guess) strings. Anyone care to comment if they've used these in the past? Wanted to try some nickel pressurewounds and nobody other than SIT seems to make this animal. The GHS pressurewounds I have now are a nickel alloy (apparently 2% nickel) and while I really like them, just thought it'd see what all the hype about the SIT's is about. The only small concern I have about the GHS pressurewounds it that I don't get the upper register clarity/transparency that I got with some other roundwound strings in the past, but maybe that's the tradeoff. I know that if TI made a pressurewound I'd be all over them :) like sh__ on a ___ oh well, you know what I mean. TI Power Bass or whatever they call their roundwounds I found to be sweet roundwounds, but wasn't after a roundwound or flatwound, so gave the Dean Markley Fretmasters a try, and found them to be so so, and then the GHS Pressurewounds which I can definately live with...

Guess I'm looking for that pressurewound feel and sound with the tonal range of TI roundwounds....asking for the world maybe????

Hoping the SIT's do it for me...

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Well ya, you're kinda asking for the world, but there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't be too disappointed if you don't get it. ;)

I've tried the GHS on my fretted Jazz and have the SIT on my Fretless JB-2. I personally like the SIT more. I have bought more and will use more. I tried the GHS once and that was enough for *me*.

I think they are more balanced tonally. I'd put them real close to the SIT Power Wound in tone, with a slight decrease in top end.

3. I've tried Silencers and thought they were pretty nice, but I prefer roundwounds myself. Another guy played my bass with the Silencers and also liked them (enough to want to order a set), and he was also a roundwound player.

4. I just put the extra light SIT Silencers on my Warwick Streamer Stage II today.... will post a follow-up on their performance in the next week or so.

5. Okay, had these strings on for a week now. They settled in very nicely, SIT stands for stay in tune, and they really do. These are very nice strings, nice feel, bright, very flexible, and the highs are much fuller and transparent than the GHS pressurewounds I used previously. The people at SIT are also very helpful. I've enquired to see if they will silk the ends of the strings for me...we'll see if it's possible. I do like silking on the ends of my strings, especially on the tuning peg side. That's the only negative about the SIT silencers I can come up with. Definately worth a try if you like eliptical or pressurewound strings and weren't getting the roundwound brightness you wanted.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Do you still like them now? ;)

7. I've heard about these strings, but I've never seen any dealer that sells them. Does anyone have a sample of how they sound? How's the tension? Are they really that good or does SIT have a letter "H" missing somewhere? :D

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    SIT strings are affordable and definitely quality. IMHO they tend to be a bit more mid focused than some other string brands. They're definitely not as scooped sounding as some are.

I've used their Nickle's, Stainless, and Silencers and have liked all of them.

9. Jkaz

Jkaz

May 23, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I bought a bass with the SIT PowerWounds, and they were great, so I thought I would try the silencers, and I think I got a bad batch of strings. I noticed right away that the A and G strings were discolored, and after one practice, they looked worse than any strings I've ever seen before.
    I also experienced dead spots on certain frets. I emailed SIT, but I never got a response, and I just don't have the time to hound them or the website I bought them from. The strings were very sticky also. I would still buy their Powerwounds, and I would still like to try their Rock Bright Nickels.

I've heard more positive comments about the Silencers, so I think it was just bad luck.

In the meantime I bought a set of Black Beauties, and I'm quite impressed with the feel of the strings.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wow, zombie thread!

staurosjohn likes this.
  11. I really like the sound of Silencers. Really full and very dynamic, yet I just didn't like the sticky feel they had. I'll stick to GHS Pressurewounds for my compressor type strings, but will continue to use thier Nickel Powerwounds as my "go-to" rounds.

12. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Muh boy Maxie! Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, Maryland
    getting ready to order these for my Franken-Mike Dirnt-Precision... have tried Roto Solo 55's, GHS Brite Flats, GHS Pressurewounds and SIT Powerflats- they're nice...

(zombie thread #2) ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  13. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Muh boy Maxie! Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, Maryland