SIT Strings for my fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Nov 15, 2004.

1. I was wondering if anyone uses those SIT roundwound strings that have the last winding reverse (I don't recall what they are called). But they are supposed to have a nice tight wind that won't tear up your fingerboard. Hence, good for fretless.

I currently have DR Black Beauties on my fretless and it is starting to make some marks (barely noticeable, but still...) on my purpleheart fingerboard.

I'd like some advice from those who've used them. Such as feel, sound, tension, and of are they on the fingerboard (especially a raw wood one).
  2. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I use SIT Silencers (the strings you're talking about) on my fretless. I love them. Actually, I think SIT makes great strings in general. The Silencers look and sound much like a round wound, but are a bit less harsh (wear wise) than a typical round wound. Just don't expect them to feel as smooth as a flat or ground wound.

And don't worry too much about wear. If you don't want to put wear on the fingerboard, don't play it. :)

3. Thanks for that. I've heard lots of good things about the silencers, but it is good to hear from someone who actually uses them.

I really dig the "round-wound sound" (say that 10 times fast) on my fretless and was just looking for something a bit tamer on my fingerboard (AND fingers for that matter).

I am not worried at all about wear. I realise that fretless' require regular fingerboard maintenance and even eventual replacement (if your doing it right :D ).

Once again, Thanks!
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    another player sold on SIT strings!

I have ALL my basses strung with PowerFlats. They are groundwound nickels and too much like flats for what you are asking.... the Silencers felt & sound just like rounds to me. I kept them on my fretted 5 string for a bit... I recorded a track or 2 with them too. Nice strings... but not dark and thumpy enough for me :bassist:
  5. halfamind

Aug 4, 2004
    Norfolk, VA
    How's the tension on the Silencers? I usually play Fender Tapewounds, and I really dig their low wiggly tension, but I've been looking...

aren't we all...
  6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    If I recall correctly, I thought that the SIT Silencers were somewhat like DR Sunbeams in terms of tension and feel. Could be wrong since it's been a while since I've used them. But I liked them. I've been using D'Addario XLs on my fretless of late. At $25 for a two pack on, they're a great deal and I've been very happy with the XL. Ironically, I used them years ago, went away from them, and then Chris Stambaugh strung the fretless he made for me with them and I've stuck with them since.
  7. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    SIT Silencers. My fretless Acacia came with those when I bought it - great strings. I use Elixir strings now, though.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sit strings are great. bill conklin uses them as the supplier for his new snakeskin sets, and they are the only consistent supplier of low f# (.165") and low c# (.195") around.