Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sit when playing

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mangeswe, Aug 30, 2004.

1. mangeswe

mangeswe

Feb 24, 2004
    Ystad, Sweden
    Hi
    I´ve seen a few DB players sitting on a chair when they´re playing. I wonder what´s good with that. Someone want to explain the differens?

thanx

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A few things right off the top. It makes a big bass easier to get your arms around because of the angle of the body to you. It makes it easier to use the weight of your arm to depress the strings (without having to also figure out how to balance the thing at the same time), and with the bass lsightly more prone gravity is friendlier to your arco efforts.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I have never been able to get a feel worth a damn sitting. I always feel like I can dig in more when I stand up.

4. What he said.
    Also, I'll say again that most of the players I have observed sitting misuse their spine and/or head and/or trapezius and/or shoulders and/or arms.
    The only advantage to sitting that I notice is being able to better hear my bass.

5. I do sit while practicing sometimes but when I really play I always stand. I am like Ed in that I just can't seem to feel the music as well when I am perched on top of a stool.

6. mangeswe

mangeswe

Feb 24, 2004
    Ystad, Sweden
    thank you all!!!

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What Ray said. I don't get nearly as good of a L.H. stop when I stand, and my intonation suffers. My teacher is also a sitter. I sit in a more "cello-like" position now, but here's a couple of old pics:

Attached Files:

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    My understanding was that sitting encouraged gomezzing.

Oh and was for girlie men bass players.

Over 40 gomezzing girlie men bass players.
    With new iPods.

Happy birthday!

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    'Gomezing' means playing higher than 1/2 position?

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
  11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I do not usually sit but when I do the bass sits between my legs and almost flat like a cello -former cello training kickin in.

I have noticed my vibrato is more fluid when I am sitting.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    and you, naturlich, belong to this group, no ? :D

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Naw, I'm a WAY over 40 non-gomezzing (I always get lost above 1/2 position) ham handed noniPod listening stand up bass player.

14. It's vas.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    you funny man, too.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you guys are killing me.

17. Sorry. I didn't realize that English is not your native language.

18. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    After five years of stoolin, I can say that the only drawback I have found is not being able to find one at the gig. I have become accustomed to having the bass supported by my body with my arms totally free. like chris mentioned, my intonation and agilty suffers when i must stand therefore making me a slave to the stool (insert witty comeback here). Getting a good sound is relative to what your opinion of a "good sound" is, of course. For me, using the weight and inertia of my arms is of upmost importance to play effortlessly and produce an even sound across the instrument. The fixed position of the bass also aids muscle memory. I would like to be able to stand but I find that the weight of a bass supported mostly by my left thumb is a hinderance of my technique. Anyone with bent endpin experience?

19. I stand when I play, but by no means does my thumb support the bass. That job is done for me by various body parts.

Not that there's anything wrong with sitting to play... :rolleyes: I sat for many years but I got tired of lugging the damn stool around and, despite ample cushioning, me bum gets sore, as well my lower back. I had to play a musical theater gig a couple years ago that required me to sit (I blocked the stage when standing) and it was moida, I tell ya.

20. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    if you take your thumb off the back of the neck when your standing, the bass falls down and goes boom. thats more my point