Sitar for Sale or Trade

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by DR Burkowitz, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Hey There Boys & Girls and Gifted Animals

I have available 2 Sitars, I know it's not exactly bass gear, but I'm a bassist and also play Sitar, so I figure there's got to be more folks like me.

Anyway here's the scoop.
    I have a total of 3 sitars but I'm keeping one, the other 2 are availabel for sale or trade.

The first one is a Radha Krishna Sharma #1 Sitar
    this is the top of the line model from one of Calcutta's most repected makers. It's a great instrument, with outstanding tone. This has been my Studio Only Sitar. I have never gigged with this one, it's in perfect condition. No scratches, dents, dings, blemishes, nothing, it's absolutely perfect. I have dear friends of mine from India who picked this one up for me 3 years ago on trip back home. I do have a hardshell case for it. I can also direct you to a place that sells strings cheap (around $15). This is not the ebay special, or other el cheapo, touist model found on the web. This is right from calcutta, directly from the manufacture, to my hands by way of carry on lugage from my buddies. I guess shipping technically to me was around $1700 since that was the cost of the plain ticket :D , but in all reality it should cost somwhere around $50 or so to ship it to the continental 48 states.

The second Sitar is your basic meat-n-potato's Sitar. It's not as intricately carved or detailed as the other sitar but sounds awesome anyway. This one also comes right from Calcutta by means of my friends. I had them bring this one back for me last year. I was going to "hotrod" it by re-staining the wood to be black. and put in some kind of passive Bartolini pickup configuration in it. Well my idea's far outweighed my ability and time so this Sitar has basically sat, untouched in it's case. I think I've played this one about 2 hours total. It plays nice, sounds great, has good action, and is well made. Just not quite as fancy as the other sitar. If your looking to learn how to play, and money is an issue I would recommend this model.

I paid $1200 and $400 respectively and will consider all reasonable offers.

Ok so that's what I have. What I need is more power.

I have a SWR SM-400 bass head. I love it, it sounds great, looks great, is great. BUT it lacks power. No, it works fine. I just need something with more juice to it. I play 7 string basses and this amp although rock solid at lower volumes, is not offering enough wattage to handle that low F# at a drummers volume. So I guess technically this amp is availabel as well, after I get something different.

I'm looking for a SWR SM-900, maybe 750 or Something big from Trace Elliot, Eden, maybe even GK. I will also consider a killer preamp from the same makers.

Let me know what you have, or what you may be interested in, and lets see what we can work out.

Attached is a pic of my #1 Sitar

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  2. And Here's a pic of the Basic Sitar
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just wondering how much you were lookin' to get out of the "basic" one...E-mail me:
  4. Hey Ray,
    Just sent you an email, Thanks.

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  5. Hey Kids,
    Both sitars are still avaiable, I double checked shipping fo rseveral people and shipping will be more in the $25 range as opposed to what I had previously thought.

I've also had several inquires regarding how one goes about playing a sitar. I will include a ton of instructiional books and video's for whom ever decide's they would like to purchase one of these two sitars. But for those just curious:

11 strings run under the frets and are not played, the vibrate give that sympathetic drone tone you here.

7 strings run over the frets

of those 7, - 5 strings are strummed for a drone effect

2 strings are actually played for your melody with 70% of your playing taking place on 1 string.

Worst part of the whole issue is tuning the monster.

Most sitars are tuned to the key of C

No you don't play with a pick, however their is a metal wire you place over your finger, along the same principle as a banjo pick but different.

Hope that answers some questions, I will consider all reasonable offers for cash or trade. Let me know what you have.

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  6. etherealization

Jun 26, 2005
    If your less fancy sitar is still available could you email me about how much you would like for it?

thank you :).
  7. etherealization

Jun 26, 2005
    haha oops I just realized how old this forum is.